THE BROWNS BOARD

Braylon Blows It...

Earl34

Those of you who are familiar with the NY media will cherish this little nugget that appeared in Newsday (as JetNation goes to Defcon 5). For what it's worth....

Edwards fits right in with losing Jets

By JAY GREENBERG

Last Updated: 7:27 AM, November 16, 2009

Posted: 3:06 AM, November 16, 2009

Losing seems to stick to Braylon Edwards' ribs, much like the Jaguars' Reggie Nelson on the Jets' attempted two-point conversion near the end of yesterday's 24-22 loss to Jacksonville.

The Jaguars safety made an end-zone hit to prevent a catch by Edwards that could have put the Jets up by three points with 5:07 to go and conceivably made Josh Scobee's field goal, which turned out to be the game winner, only a game-tying kick.

But Edwards, who escaped Cleveland for New York just in time for the Jets to lose four of their last five, also seems to have trouble hanging on to the truth and dislodging himself from typecasting as a loser. Only eventually did the receiver get around to saying he should have caught the ball.<p>

"It was a little behind me," he said. "I had a hand on it, but the safety came out of nowhere and put a helmet in my ribs.

"It was a good play. Guys have to make plays. Wherever the ball is, it's my job to catch it. It's a little bit behind me, so what? Make a play."

Quarterback Mark Sanchez took the blame for not delivering the ball sooner.

"I don't discredit Mark or myself," Edwards said. "I just credit the safety who put the helmet in my ribs."

Edwards made a clutch 16-yard reception on a third-and-9 during that drive, and caught two other passes, including a 41-yarder in the third quarter that got the Jets out of a deep hole. He also fumbled the ball away on that 41-yard play and almost threw an interception on an earlier end-around.

"I would definitely have liked to see him catch [the two-pointer]," said coach Rex Ryan. "With him, you almost take for granted he's going to come down with it.

"But Braylon put us in a good position to win the game, that great catch on third down. He's been tremendous for us. If we all played like he did we would have won."

Actually, Edwards played the same erratic game all the Jets played, which proved no way to win, and he continues to lug around the baggage of a guy with whom you can't.

"I'm watching Cleveland lose and I'm out of that situation, but I'm here and we're losing," Edwards said.

"It's not my fault per se, it's a team game, but I don't want to seem like the black sheep that I left their team and now I come here and now we're losing consistently. You hate to feel that way."

The Jaguars safety made an end-zone hit to prevent a catch by Edwards that could have put the Jets up by three points with 5:07 to go and conceivably made Josh Scobee's field goal, which turned out to be the game winner, only a game-tying kick.

But Edwards, who escaped Cleveland for New York just in time for the Jets to lose four of their last five, also seems to have trouble hanging on to the truth and dislodging himself from typecasting as a loser. Only eventually did the receiver get around to saying he should have caught the ball.

"With him, you almost take for granted he's going to come down with it." - Rex Ryan

??????

I'm kind of amazed that Rex Ryan is getting such a pass. They are 4-5 having played a weak schedule. They busted the bank getting Lito Shepard and bringing over Baltimore's best young LBer (Scott) and a nice safety to boot (Leonard). They've traded away at least two of their picks for next season for Edwards (who they might not re-sign, and probably will be even more sorry if they do) and will be paying Sanchez as a franchise player whether or not he really is one.

Will they reach last year's mark of 9-7? They need to go 5-2 for the rest of the season. Next up -- New England.

Ryan's an arrogant asshat.

I'm kind of amazed that Rex Ryan is getting such a pass. They are 4-5 having played a weak schedule. They busted the bank getting Lito Shepard and bringing over Baltimore's best young LBer (Scott) and a nice safety to boot (Leonard). They've traded away at least two of their picks for next season for Edwards (who they might not re-sign, and probably will be even more sorry if they do) and will be paying Sanchez as a franchise player whether or not he really is one.

Will they reach last year's mark of 9-7? They need to go 5-2 for the rest of the season. Next up -- New England.

Chip...they wanted to blow it all up after last season so they could sell PSLs. They got what they wanted. An entertaining, players' coach whose time is so undisciplined that he has to burn two valuable TOs in the second half and who got outcoached by the guy on the other sideline. Like him or hate him as a coach, Mangini was able to manage the clock and his teams didn't commit penalties.

Moreover, the Jets just need to shut up and get back to work. If he doesn't make 9-7, there will be some serious media consternation.

yeah, when I read all of his comments regarding Braylon, while praising him, it seems like he threw the rest of the team under bus.

He is getting a free pass for some reason.

YIPPIE!!!

He stunk and continues to stink. The Browns continue to stink. Does that make you feel better?

The Browns continuing to stink, well no. Edwards, I feel sorry for him if he continues to drop passes, and IMHO he will- the NY press will run him out of town.

At least we'll get some draft pick value out of Braylon, the guy was gone at the end of the year anyway, and it's nice to see him drop passes for someone else for a change. (one of the few things Mangini's done right) BTW, I saw that extra point attempt, the ball hit him right in the hands, no excuse for not catching it.

YIPPIE!!!

He stunk and continues to stink. The Browns continue to stink. Does that make you feel better?

Yeah. We got two draft picks and a surprisingly promising young player in Trusnik for a guy we wouldn't want to sign next season and would have only diminished in value as the season progressed. The glass is half full on that move. He's not taking playing time from young receivers that need to develop.

To add a point on Trusnik -- who was a "throw in" in the Edwards deal, has 19 solo tackles on the year and 2 sacks (through 8 games). So what? As a starting LBer for Cincy this entire season Rey Rey Maualuga has 21 tackles and 1 sack (through 9 games).

Over the last 4 games, in limited time, Trusnik has 15 solos and 2 sacks, Rey-Rey as a full-time starter has 12 solos and no sacks.

The Jets fans LOVED this kid. He hasn't even gotten a positive mention from the local media . . . and he's from Macedonia and went to college at Ohio Northern!

Maybe this kid was Mangini's Josh Cribbs/Leigh Bodden find?

London Fletcher was a UFA from John Carroll, so the concept isn't absurd.

Jason Trusnik goes from practice squad to big hitter for NY Jets

By Manish Mehta/The Star-Ledger

October 02, 2009, 7:22PM

The sound traveled across Ohio, from Bexley to Tiffin to Westerville, 277 times on Saturday afternoons.

Years later, far away from a place he’d never heard of, Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff hears that same bone-crunching thud.

It comes from Jason Trusnik, a guy most people have never heard of.

“He knocks them on their (rear-end),” Westhoff said. “He’s just a tough guy. He hits real hard and it hurts.”

Trusnik’s path from two-time Division 3 All-American to AFC Special Teams Player of the Week after a standout performance in the Jets’ Week 3 win over the Titans has been sprinkled with desire.

“He understands coming in as an undrafted free agent that he’s got to do all the little things right,” special teams ace Larry Izzo said. “He’s worked at his game and taken a lot of pride in the role that he’s had. Obviously, he’s had to do it the hard way.”

Plucked from little known Ohio Northern University in the northwestern part of the state, Trusnik was fortunate former Jets coach Eric Mangini took notice of a brilliant college career that included a mind-boggling 277 career tackles and an 18-sack season.

“I just took the opportunity and worked my butt off to work my way on to the practice squad,” Trusnik said.

He spent more than half of his rookie year of 2007 on the practice squad, sharing a small apartment with a teammate. He then spent the first half of last season on the Physically Unable to Perform list with a broken foot.

Trusnik, who also plays linebacker, had a solid training camp for Rex Ryan this year, but was still on the bubble to make the final 53-man roster. Trusnik insisted he wasn’t racked by nerves before the final cuts were announced.

“You never know what can happen,” Trusnik said. “Certain things could not go your way. Thankfully, my play in the preseason was good enough to make the team.”

He wasted little time making an impact with a solid season-opening performance that earned him the special teams game ball. Last week, Trusnik’s forced fumble and recovery on a kickoff set up the Jets’ second touchdown. He took on a block, fought through it and jarred the ball loose after nailing the returner.

“Before the game, Westhoff told us that there were going to be opportunities there for us to get a turnover,” Izzo said. “Obviously, he paid attention.”

The 6-4, 250-pound Trusnik, a defensive end in college, has adapted to Westhoff’s special teams schemes.

“Is he the fastest guy down the field? No,” Westhoff said. “But when you get to him, he really gets it. I love him. He’s made plays. He’s made blocks. I have a point scale system that I use and right now he’s off the charts with it.”

Trusnik has also flashed his skills as a linebacker in the past. He had a pair of tackles and a fumble recovery in last year’s season finale against the Dolphins.

In the preseason, Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine used Trusnik at both inside and outside linebacker.

“You have to know your role,” Trusnik said. “If it’s special teams and backup linebacker, that’s the role I’ll play. I take each play as another opportunity to show what I got.”

Chip,

Keep posting around here, would you? You're bringing some solid, informative stuff to the table. Not just in this thread, but also the posts grounded in reality that are cutting through the QB guru mythology that seems to surround Jon Gruden.

FWIW, I like Gruden, but he's far from legendary like some seem to think when it comes to developing a QB. He needs the finished product.

With regards to this thread, we really do need to understand as fans that getting rid of Braylon was the right move, regardless of the timing. But, the other side of the coin is that we've got to turn our acquired picks into future contributors for THIS team.

Archived