THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday 11/16

The Gipper

Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

1. Are the Bengals for real? Or will they do a December swoon?

2. This is a big rivalry week coming up. What, in your opinion, is the greatest rivalry in American sports?

3. If you could not live in the USA, what other country would you prefer to live in?

4. Thanksgiving is coming soon. Who is the biggest Turkey in sports? (or this, Art Modell will be ineligible because he has been kicked out of sports. Try another name)

5. Should the NFL expand by two or more teams, and if so, where should those teams be located?

Bengals are clearly for real. they may be tempted to coast, but Palmer will keep them in line.

i could see them in the Super Bowl (especially if benson and...the pass rusher guy come back from injury)

2. This is a big rivalry week coming up. What, in your opinion, is the greatest rivalry in American sports?

Red Sox v. Yankees.

3. If you could not live in the USA, what other country would you prefer to live in?

Canada, or some third-world country in africa.

4. Thanksgiving is coming soon. Who is the biggest Turkey in sports? (or this, Art Modell will be ineligible because he has been kicked out of sports. Try another name)

Dan Snyder. easy.

5. Should the NFL expand by two or more teams, and if so, where should those teams be located?

no.... but i do so them moving teams in the relatively near future (LA, Toronto)...Buffalo, Jax, Rams, etc are movable.

Sweeping the Steelers? Yes, they are very real. They gutted out a tough W this week. We'll be watching them in the playoffs while the Browns are planning for next year.

Yankees-Red Sox, Steelers-Browns (dead for now), Lakers-Celtics

Norway, cold as hell but ranks 1st in about every important category including "most beautiful women"

Al Davis

No, enough teams beat the Browns already, no need for two more.

yes, they are 5-0 in the division. they will represent the afc north in the playoffs

ohio state vs. michigan. they only play each other once a year unlike duke vs. unc and red sox vs. yankees. you only get one shot to beat the other team.

italy

barry bonds, alex rodriguez (aka a-roid), t.o, alan iverson or dan snyder. take your pick.

good question. i would think somewhere in the upper north west like portland or somewhere like that. perhaps somewhere in the middle of nowhere like nebraska. i don't really think there is a market big enough with enough interest in a team to get one.

And, as usual, I will attempt to be the first to give answers to my own questions

They will have a slight swoon. I think they and the Steelers will probably end up with the same record, but the Bengals will take the division based on their head to head wins. Remember, the toughest game the Bengals have had against an AFC North opponent was against the Browns, where they only won with 6 seconds left in OT on questionable "good" call on a FG.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Browns beat them when they play again.

I believe it is Ohio State-Michigan in football. Second perhaps is the Duke/NC basketball rivalry.

I have dual citizenship with Ireland, and it is a great, friendly place. Second would probably be Canada.

I believe it is Bud Selig. He is the biggest limpdick because he cannot stand up to the Steinbrenner's or the player's union. Probably 25 of the 30 MLB teams would want to operate with a salary cap, but Selig is Steinbrenner's stooge. Steinbrenners want to throw as much cash as they can to win titles. The player's union wants that Yankee cash, even at the expense many of their players who could actually do quite better financially if there were a cap/minimum. Selig is their stooge.

I actually believe the country could support an expansion of 4 teams. Obviously LA would get one. San Antonio should get one. The NFL thinks London, England could perhaps get one. I don't really like that idea. But a Mexican team in say Monterrey, and perhaps a team in Canada would be OK. Two other US markets I think would be good would be Norfolk/Va. Beach...and, what the hell VEGAS baby. If not Vegas because of the gambling then probably Portland.

CleveFanForLife: Surely LA is big enough....and they have stadium plans underway. It is to be located in "Industry" CA. Financing is in place for it as is all the zoning, etc. They say they will only build it however if they get a team to move there or an expansion team.

CleveFanForLife: Surely LA is big enough....and they have stadium plans underway. It is to be located in "Industry" CA. Financing is in place for it as is all the zoning, etc. They say they will only build it however if they get a team to move there or an expansion team.

i know, but i was thinking of the cities that it would be cool to have a team in: not the obvious choices.

The Bengals are the real deal....Playing with confidence...They know they can beat anyone

University of Kentucky vs Univ of Louisville (both football and basketball)

Australia (females outnumber men by 4 to 1 AND they LOVE American studs....especially those with a large $%#@##@)

Any athlete that does not fess up to steriod usage when exposed

I think Los Angeles should get 2 expansion teams....no expansion outside USA

It's gonna be the chargers moving to la. There's no way they get a new stadium in San Diego.

They will swoon but may win division by default, Pittsburgh finshes 3rd.

Browns/Steelers is my favorite, but I think Michigan/OSU may be the greatest. Yankees/Red Sox is most over-rated. As a kid I loved Oakland/KC, Dallas/Washington, Notre Dame/USC but they are not what they used to be (just like Browns/Steelers). Growing up in Western PA, Pitt/Penn St. was a HUGE football game in late 70's, early 80's ... now they don't even play each other.

A Carribean Island nation. Not sure which one, I'd have to do some scouting.

Terry Bradshaw.

No. Move Jacksonville to LA and call it a day.

I think for real

Army/Navy

Canada

Terell Owens

Sure....why not.

LA , Oklahoma City

1. They're for real.

2. I have to agree with Ohio State/Michigan

3. Italy was the first to pop into my head.

4. Any Yankee, particularly any Yankee who used to play for Cleveland.

5. Not something I really care that much about.

No. They are not for real. I'd love to see them lost bad to either the Colts or Pats on MNF.

Browns Steelers of course

Canada.

Ochodinko

Toronto or just south of Toronto!

Yes, Bengals are for real. The guy I wanted for the Browns, Maualuga, is a key player...figures.

pro: Chicago/Green Bay & Browns/Steelers

college: Ohio State/Michigan Alabama/Auburn BW/John Carroll

Canada

Presently- Shawn Merriman

Past- Dennis Rodman

No expansion, the product is seriously diluted already (see QB play of today, mostly mediocre).

They will swoon but may win division by default, Pittsburgh finshes 3rd.

Browns/Steelers is my favorite, but I think Michigan/OSU may be the greatest. Yankees/Red Sox is most over-rated. As a kid I loved Oakland/KC, Dallas/Washington, Notre Dame/USC but they are not what they used to be (just like Browns/Steelers). Growing up in Western PA, Pitt/Penn St. was a HUGE football game in late 70's, early 80's ... now they don't even play each other.

A Carribean Island nation. Not sure which one, I'd have to do some scouting.

Terry Bradshaw.

No. Move Jacksonville to LA and call it a day.

I agree Zombo, whatever happened to that Pitt/Penn St. rivalry which was the best rivalry in the East? Just because they each moved into separate leagues doesn't mean the rivalry shouldn't still go on. I mean, Georgia Tech and Georgia still maintain their in state rivalry despite being in separate leagues. Same with Clemson/South Carolina Florida/Fla. St. and others. Instead of scheduling each other they schedule Slippery Rock or somebody.

On the Carribean, St. Johns, USVI would be nice, at least for the winter.

By the way, do you know they have palm trees in southern Ireland?

They are more real than the clothes on your back. This is not a 2007 Browns fluke. Expect to see this team on top for awhile.

I would say either Browns vs. Steelers (yes its still well alive), Browns vs. Ravens, Browns vs. Broncos, Cowboys vs. Eagles, OSU vs. Michigan, Duke vs. UNC, Kent vs. Akron, New York vs. Boston, Patriots vs. Colts, Maryland vs. Clemson, Florida vs. OSU, Indians vs. White Sox, USC vs. Stanford...I hope the bias of my hometown doesnt throw off my credibility.

Oh man, either Italy, Aruba, Australia, or Canada...Germany MAYBE.

Al Davis, Bud Adams, and/or Wade Phillips...oh...I forgot to mention Charlie Weis.

No. The teams are perfect the way they are. Now they should just extend the season by 2 or 3 games. But if I had to pick a city for another team...id say Lawerence Kansas, Birmingham Alabama, or San Juan, New Mexico.

I think they are for real...this year. But I don't see it carrying over to next season.

OSU v Michigan...then Army v Navy

Australia

Al Davis

Sure...why not? Don't go to L.A. How many times do they have to lose a team before we quit putting one back there? How about Vegas and why not London?

They are for real.

Sox and Yanks

Ireland

Jeff Reed

LA and Utah

I followed up question #5 by doing some research on the Neilsen "Designated Market Areas". Or, essentially TV markets. THIS is the info that the sports league really pay attention to: i.e. how many eyeballs in an area are available to watch the beer and car commercials they put on during a local teams broadcasts. I found info that is somewhat surprising to me. The following are the 10 largest DMAs that do NOT have an NFL team:

1. Los Angeles/Anaheim

2. Orlando/Daytona Beach

3. Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto

4. Portland OR

5. Raleigh/Durham (remember this area is about 200 miles away from Charlotte)

6. Hartford/New Haven Conn.

7. Salt Lake City

8. Columbus

9. Greenville/Spartanburg SC.

10. San Antonio

Surprising in that I thought San Antonio would be like #2 on this list (perhaps if Austin were added, it would be)

Plus, I have been to both Greenville and Spartanburg, and though they appeared to be growing areas, they didn't seem to be all that big. No bigger than like Canton and Youngstown. Maybe half the people from Canton and Youngstown migrated down there. I know that is the home of Mercedes Benz in the US.

They're OK.

Shittsburgh is slipping.

Canton McKinley v Massillon

Carrollton v Minerva

Norton v Wadsworth

OSU v The team up North

OR

Shiite V Sunni

The 51st state Canada

Bonds or Manny

Yes.

Akron and Canton.

<G>

WSS

they are for real...not just any team sweeps the Steelers

Ohio Sate Michigan, no doubt

Germany or Japan

Turkey Jones, jk

NO, but if they did one of them should be in L.A.

Shiite V Sunni

BAHAHAHA

They're OK.

Shittsburgh is slipping.

Carrollton v Minerva

Norton v Wadsworth

OSU v The team up North

OR

Shiite V Sunni

The 51st state Canada

Bonds or Manny

Yes.

Akron and Canton.

<G>

Norton and Wadsworth don't even play against each other in any sport these days, unless it might be golf or something.

I am surprised you didn't say Cork v. Kilkenny in hurley! (But then, that is not America)

They are for real. A swoon?...Maybe a slight one, but they should win the division.

OSU & Michigan.

Ireland. My bride, Colleen, would agree.

I was struggling between Al Davis & Larry Dolan until I read "Bud Selig"....This is no contest...Selig is it by a BIG margin!

No. The talent pool in all sports is getting too diluted. I think we are all within decent travel distance of NFL Football.

Mike

Carrollton v Minerva

Norton v Wadsworth

OSU v The team up North

OR

Shiite V Sunni

Yes.

Akron and Canton.

<G>

WSS

West Branch vs. Marlington!!!!!

My biggest rivalry is Man City vs Man U.

It's not a rivalry so much as I hate Man U. and I love Ricky Hatton.

OK, but the question was "What is the biggest rivalry in American sports". I assume here you are talking English soccer, unless, of course, you are talking about Manchester, New Hampshire vs. Manchester, Ohio?

On the "Greatest Rivalry" question ESPN lists these as the top ones:

1. Ohio State/Michigan football

2. Duke/UNC basketball

3. Maple Leafs/Canadiennes hockey

4. Red Sox/Yankees

5. Auburn/Alabama football

6. Redskins/Cowboys

7. Giants/Dodgers

8. Army/Navy football

9. Lakers/Celtics

10. Texas/Oklahoma

11. Packers/Bears

Maybe? Ask me that midway through December! B)

Either OSU-Michigan or UGa-Alabama

Samoa

Al Davis

No

Archived