THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday 11/16

The Gipper

1. Are the Bengals for real? Or will they do a December swoon?

They are for real.

2. This is a big rivalry week coming up. What, in your opinion, is the greatest rivalry in American sports?

Kentucky vs. Louisville

3. If you could not live in the USA, what other country would you prefer to live in?

China or France

4. Thanksgiving is coming soon. Who is the biggest Turkey in sports? (or this, Art Modell will be ineligible because he has been kicked out of sports. Try another name)

David Beckham

5. Should the NFL expand by two or more teams, and if so, where should those teams be located

yes, montreal and alaska or hawaii

The bengals have won 5 straight road games and have swept the steelers, The only thing that is hurting them now is not having that second receiver to stop teams from double teaming Ocho.

The stoolers took advantage of that yesterday, I believe Ocho had what 2 catches?

And to add to the injuries for them Cedric Benson has a bruised hip.

Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions:

1. Are the Bengals for real? Or will they do a December swoon? I see them as having a swoon , but they will over come it and be a playoff team

2. This is a big rivalry week coming up. What, in your opinion, is the greatest rivalry in American sports? I always thought Clev-Pitt maybe that will be again

3. If you could not live in the USA, what other country would you prefer to live in? I bleed Red White and Blue , cant imagine being elsewhere

4. Thanksgiving is coming soon. Who is the biggest Turkey in sports? (or this, Art Modell will be ineligible because he has been kicked out of sports. Try another name)

Bellickek..NEVER liked the guy

5. Should the NFL expand by two or more teams, and if so, where should those teams be located? ]NO MORE TEAMS we are Good !!

I followed up question #5 by doing some research on the Neilsen "Designated Market Areas". Or, essentially TV markets. THIS is the info that the sports league really pay attention to: i.e. how many eyeballs in an area are available to watch the beer and car commercials they put on during a local teams broadcasts. I found info that is somewhat surprising to me. The following are the 10 largest DMAs that do NOT have an NFL team:

1. Los Angeles/Anaheim

2. Orlando/Daytona Beach

3. Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto

4. Portland OR

5. Raleigh/Durham (remember this area is about 200 miles away from Charlotte)

6. Hartford/New Haven Conn.

7. Salt Lake City

8. Columbus

9. Greenville/Spartanburg SC.

10. San Antonio

Surprising in that I thought San Antonio would be like #2 on this list (perhaps if Austin were added, it would be)

Plus, I have been to both Greenville and Spartanburg, and though they appeared to be growing areas, they didn't seem to be all that big. No bigger than like Canton and Youngstown. Maybe half the people from Canton and Youngstown migrated down there. I know that is the home of Mercedes Benz in the US.

Well, I live in Greenville. It's 1.5 hours from Charlotte and 2 hours from downtown Atlanta. Even if Greenville/Spartanburg were more populous, I can't imagine an NFL franchise this close to the Falcons and Panthers. Remember, it's supposed to be the "Carolina" Panthers and their training camp is at Wofford College in Spartanburg. I don't see a strong following here but I suspect the NFL feels that they've already covered that area. BTW, it's BMW, not Mercedes Benz.

Well, I live in Greenville. It's 1.5 hours from Charlotte and 2 hours from downtown Atlanta. Even if Greenville/Spartanburg were more populous, I can't imagine an NFL franchise this close to the Falcons and Panthers. Remember, it's supposed to be the "Carolina" Panthers and their training camp is at Wofford College in Spartanburg. I don't see a strong following here but I suspect the NFL feels that they've already covered that area. BTW, it's BMW, not Mercedes Benz.

(OK, sure, I knew it was one of those....in the words of my Dad....Kraut Cans.)

And yes, I also know that no team would probably ever be put in that area.

Archived