THE BROWNS BOARD

Wild Dawg Offense

ClevelandFanForLife

Since we seem committed for some reason to run the WildDawg offense, I thought it would be fun to call it the Wild Dawg offense. I also wanted to see what everyone thinks of the WildDawg (Wild Dawg) and if it can work in our system. It hasn't worked so far, but maybe it could. we need some speedier backs if we are going to run it and Cribbs can run the ball as well as pass it if need be. What does everyone think?

great name. Denver calls theirs Wild Horses, which is EXTREMELY feminine and possibly gay.

I think we should look into it more. Cribbs is a solid play maker from that formation.

and honestly, it gives defenses more to account for than any time we line up in a typical formation with Brady ("oh, they're going to run for 3 yards or pass for 5")

side note: who the crap is Chris (?) Jennings? He was pretty impressive.

side note: who the crap is Chris (?) Jennings? He was pretty impressive.

yup. I dont think we will miss tippy toes thanks to chris jennings.he produces the same result as JL. But we still need our stellar big back. Does anyone remember seeing jerrome harrison in the game ? I sure dont and he had an awesome game vs the Ravens last time.

My problem with it is every other down we run the package, and every single time it was the same freakin' run. Cribbs to the right, fake the handoff and go, change it up please.. Also, if you are going to run the same play, why leave BQ out on the wing in the WR postion... you run the same play EVERY TIME.

If you are going to do that, run BQ off the field and put someone on the field that is going to help the play. You aren't fooling or tricking anybody with it if you run it all the time, so what is the point of the decoy?

I like it but not the way we run it.

As was noted, you can't run the same play every time and why leave the qb in the game?

The beauty of the offense is you are trading a qb, who is useless to the offense once he delivers the ball in to a extra blocker, eliminating the odds in favor of the D.

I myself would just run it all the time and quit trying to find that all-star drop back qb, which are getting harder and harder to find.

Next year there will be 2 ideal candidates to run this type of offense. Tim Tebow and Armanti Edwards ....both can deliver the ball in the air and both can run...just depends if you want more of a bruiser at qb or more of a speed guy.

We keep trying to pound a square peg in to a round hole in Cleveland. Go with what the draft gives you, and year after year it gives you good QBs who can run the wild dog....I like that by the way...I myself would call it the north coast offense....that "Juice" boy...at Ill??...he is another who looks like he could be terrific running that type of offense.

These guys aren't going to get hurt running the ball any more then a back is...and in the long run, I think standing in the pocket produces more serious injuries than being on the run does.

We already have Cribbs....I get rid of both DA and Quinn, make Cribbs the qb and draft a couple more to groom for the position.

Just go with it.

Tebow will never get away in the NFL with what he does in NCAA. I'm a Tebow and Florida Gator fan, but let's get real. Tebow will get slammed the first 2 times he tries that in the NFL and will never do it again. Can you see Tebow trying to run and getting met by Ray Lewis ? Game over, another concussion for Tebow.

I believe Quinn will progress and work out. He needs self confidence and coaches coinfidence. Drop the DA/Quinn battle BS and stay the course. DA is a 2 or 3 time proven bust - He's done here. This season will produce nothing to speak of, so at least allow Quinn to use it as a prep for better years.

Quinn did throw down field late last night, after Daboli realized the Browns did'nt stand a chance with what they were doing ALL DAMN GAME - something most OC's might get halfway through the game. Quinns throws were inaccurate, but at least he showed he could throw the long ball. Let him do it some more and build on it.

As for the Wild Cat - BORING. Not happening. Cribbs is by far the ONLY thing a Browns fan can have any pride in (other than big Shawn), but the Wild Cat, Wild Dawg, Wild Thing, Wild Monkey - call it anything - it still gets nothing anymore. Maybe even if one out of every 3 times using it they threw the ball just to cause SOME concern for the defense, but Daboli has proven he is no where near that creative and needs to be coaching Pop Warner ... well, assistant coaching Pop Warner.

The only team that it really works for is obviously the Dolphins. The reasons:

1. The guy running it (Brown) can actually throw

2. The TE's are legitimate pass catchers

3. The Ricky Williams option as the motion man is beastly

4. They practice it

5. They otherwise have an offensive identity. They don't have to run it. Sure, they may be a ground and pound offense but they can run the ball conventionally.

I don't like the way the Browns run it at all. They don't have enough options in that package to keep people honest.

I want a smash mouth running game more that anything else... If you want to let cribbs run it, just turn him into a full blown RB and give him the ball 30 times a game. I could get excited about that.

Also, can somebody shed some light on why Harrison is the black sheep and always left out of the run game? When we feed him the ball he gets the job done. Ya, he had a huge fumble in the Cinn. game, but he also ripped off 130 yards. That also could be why MoMass was open downfield...

I watched him last night, and the only time he got on the field was on 3rd down, and that was to block, which he isn't good at.... Maybe I am bias because I really like Harrison. Mostly because everytime I see him I get flashbacks of that run against Buffalo last year where he blew through the line and just ran away from everybody. . or that screen pass against Pitt where he juked people out of their jocks and took it in for the score.

Technically, our version of the WildDawg is called the Flash Package.

I agree that we need to make it more versatile and not just running. Cribbs needs to be able to throw the ball in order for the defense to stop blitzing the hell outta us from that formation. And why not try a screen to Quinn and put him to some use when running the WildDawg?

Tebow will never get away in the NFL with what he does in NCAA. I'm a Tebow and Florida Gator fan, but let's get real. Tebow will get slammed the first 2 times he tries that in the NFL and will never do it again. Can you see Tebow trying to run and getting met by Ray Lewis ? Game over, another concussion for Tebow.

I believe Quinn will progress and work out. He needs self confidence and coaches coinfidence. Drop the DA/Quinn battle BS and stay the course. DA is a 2 or 3 time proven bust - He's done here. This season will produce nothing to speak of, so at least allow Quinn to use it as a prep for better years.

Quinn did throw down field late last night, after Daboli realized the Browns did'nt stand a chance with what they were doing ALL DAMN GAME - something most OC's might get halfway through the game. Quinns throws were inaccurate, but at least he showed he could throw the long ball. Let him do it some more and build on it.

As for the Wild Cat - BORING. Not happening. Cribbs is by far the ONLY thing a Browns fan can have any pride in (other than big Shawn), but the Wild Cat, Wild Dawg, Wild Thing, Wild Monkey - call it anything - it still gets nothing anymore. Maybe even if one out of every 3 times using it they threw the ball just to cause SOME concern for the defense, but Daboli has proven he is no where near that creative and needs to be coaching Pop Warner ... well, assistant coaching Pop Warner.

I disagree..we are doing it your way at present....how's that working out??

Harrison cant block and JLewis cant run like he used too .... atleast chris jennings saw some action ....

This is exactly what I am saying.... We feed the ball to Lewis and have Harrison block...

Is this stuff so difficult for the coaches to figure out?

I disagree..we are doing it your way at present....how's that working out??

My way ... with not running the QB you mean ??

I agree, let Quinn run a bit, at least show some mobility as a threat as well, but what Tebow does is way too much for the NFL.

Tebow will not get away with it in the NFL. I hope Tebow goes high in the draft, but alot of opinions as to where he'll be drafted to (position). Many think Tight End.

i don't think we give Cribbs any unneccesary exposure at QB. He's too valueable as a special teams player to risk (further) injury.

Hell, he's barely a decent WR as it is. It's cool using him in the occasional Flash package, cuz he has speed.

Why not try some trickery against DET, KC, and Oak? if anything, it would be good practice to expand the "playbook".

also.... i was happy to see Quinn throw deep... and saddened when he threw it OUT OF BOUNDS. Twice.

also... Daboll could probably pass for a midget player- forget assit. coaching!...little f-ing muchkin. hope some 12 year old knocks him the F out.

I want a smash mouth running game more that anything else... If you want to let cribbs run it, just turn him into a full blown RB and give him the ball 30 times a game. I could get excited about that.

I don't think Cribbs would be too excited....all those hits will shorten his money makin days

Tebow will not get away with it in the NFL. I hope Tebow goes high in the draft, but alot of opinions as to where he'll be drafted to (position). Many think Tight End.

He will. Once the combine rolls around and the interviews take place, his already high stock is only going to go up.

I can't imagine him lasting 25 picks, let alone 3rd round like some sites forecast.

I think we need to take a page out of Baltimore's playbook and run a lot of Maxpro formations. We need to run a lot of 2 TE , with only 2-3 routes on most passing plays. It's not like we have a ton of quality receivers to throw to anyway. We're wasting players when we have Stuckey, Robo, Cribbs, Furrey, Royal, and MoMass all running routes at the same time. Defenses know that: 1) Stuckey is terrible, 2)Royal can't catch a cold, much less a football, 3) Cribbs is only there for aesthetic purposes and 4) Even if he had the time, Quinn isn't going to throw more than 5 yards anyway. I say bring in Estandia to block, the guy is a 6'8" TE, I'm sure he can at least get a hat on somebody. Use Royal as a blocking TE ONLY. Never let him run another route. Use Vickers for his blocking abilities, the guy is essentially a lineman in the backfield. Sit Jamal, he's done. Let Jennings and Harrison carry the rest of the workload, they'll actually be playing next year. Throw MoMass and a combo of Cribbs/Stuckey/Furrey/Robo out wide, and have them run timing routes (square outs, curls, slants) to loosen up the defense, and run underneath with Harrison/ Jennings. Let Estandia run some routes, he's slow but he's gigantically tall. Quinn needs more time in the pocket, that's a big part of the reason he's sucking.

Archived