THE BROWNS BOARD

Dawg Pound Full of Ten Year Olds

tazz07

To preclude a tv blackout Browns management bought all unsold tickets and distributed them to all 2nd and 3rd grade sudents in Cleveland public schools.

They reasoned the kids would not realize what they were witnessing.......da horror

I think the "Dawg Pound" marketing scheme has more than run its course. In fact, I think it should have died when Dixon and Minniefield retired. THOSE guys were "The Dawgs" and "The Dawgs" should have retired when they did.

You didn't see the Rams "market" the Fearsome Foursome after Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Rosey Grier, and Lamar Lundy retired.

You didn't see the Vikings "market" The Purple People Eaters after Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and Gary Larsen retired.

You didn't see the Cowboys "market" The Doomsday Defense after the likes of Bob Lilly, Randy White, and Too Tall Jones retired.

Did you? And the Browns should NOT have continued to market the Dawgs after Dixon and Minniefield were gone.

But these idiots in these NFL team promotion departments have no creativity and have no imagination and cannot let go of what they perceive to be a good thing, even 20 years after a nickname or marketing scheme should have been retired.

I think the "Dawg Pound" marketing scheme has more than run its course. In fact, I think it should have died when Dixon and Minniefield retired. THOSE guys were "The Dawgs" and "The Dawgs" should have retired when they did.

You didn't see the Rams "market" the Fearsome Foursome after Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Rosey Grier, and Lamar Lundy retired.

You didn't see the Vikings "market" The Purple People Eaters after Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Carl Eller and Gary Larsen retired.

You didn't see the Cowboys "market" The Doomsday Defense after the likes of Bob Lilly, Randy White, and Too Tall Jones retired.

Did you? And the Browns should NOT have continued to market the Dawgs after Dixon and Minniefield were gone.

But these idiots in these NFL team promotion departments have no creativity and have no imagination and cannot let go of what they perceive to be a good thing, even 20 years after a nickname or marketing scheme should have been retired.

Lets not forget the Redskins shamelessly milking "The Hogs" gimmick after it's formation in the mid 80's (Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm et al)

Every home game they have fans with hog noses that dress up as women with the wigs and all......of course they are all frustrated homo's

But come on....25 years with the same schtick???

Bunch of losers if there ever were any...

I agree Gip and have said so many times.

I think the pound would have died, but after the move the new regime held on to the tradition as a marketing ploy.

The NFL is changing, and i think for the good...it isn't about getting hammered and throwing stuff on to the field.

When I was a kid you went to games after church and got there about noon and everybody was wearing their Sunday clothes. people can look at the pics from the late 50's, early 60's if they don't believe me. People didn't hit parking lot's at 6:45 AM and start hammering down beer and liquor.

I am not saying it needs to go back to that, but the NFL realized they had a problem with thuggery and has taken steps to try to find a happy median.

This dawg applauds them for that.

The NFL is changing, and i think for the good...it isn't about getting hammered and throwing stuff on to the field.

yea, you are dang right.......you can't even smoke ganga blunts in the stadiums these days without having to deal with a variety of enforcement types invading your space

The Pound has changed over the years...a lot of the original Dawg Pounders don't go anymore because the nursing homes they live in won't provide ambulance transport to the stadium

and back

I don't know, I was in the upper dog pound, (By the way, those bleacher type benches are colder than hell to sit on...) and it was pretty much a slop scene. Drunks EVERYWHERE, a couple of Ravens fans getting verbally abused the entire game, and two fights that I witnessed that got people walked out.

My girl had never been to a game before and was like, "Is it always like that?" I said every time I go it is.

I don't know, I was in the upper dog pound, (By the way, those bleacher type benches are colder than hell to sit on...) and it was pretty much a slop scene. Drunks EVERYWHERE, a couple of Ravens fans getting verbally abused the entire game, and two fights that I witnessed that got people walked out.

My girl had never been to a game before and was like, "Is it always like that?" I said every time I go it is.

And that is what needs to be cleaned up. Going to a football game isn't a free pass to drunk and disorderly conduct.

Lord knows I like to have a good time and have been known to drink a nip every now and then.... but that doesn't give me the right to yell at people while getting in their face, cuss at the top of my lungs, or start throwing stuff at people or on the field.

Gimme a break. Going to a game, pounding bevvies, getting rowdy and fired up is what football fans love to do.

You don't have to beat people up to have a good time but you sure as hell can let them know there in CLE not their own city.

Football is a rough sport and the fans are a rough bunch. If you don't feel safe then stay home and sit in your lazy-boy but don't bash the ones who get to unwind and get a little crazy 8 times a year.

Pussifying football at its best.

And that is what needs to be cleaned up. Going to a football game isn't a free pass to drunk and disorderly conduct.

Lord knows I like to have a good time and have been known to drink a nip every now and then.... but that doesn't give me the right to yell at people while getting in their face, cuss at the top of my lungs, or start throwing stuff at people or on the field.

I don't know, I didn't see much wrong with it. That's the way it always is when I go, and I don't expect anything different.

It's better than going to a Cavs game with lower level seats and sitting with a bunch of suits that don't even know who is playing...

I didn't drink at all, and I laughed a lot, had a good time, and it makes it fun to be at the stadium. (cause the team on the field sure doesn't..)

Gimme a break. Going to a game, pounding bevvies, getting rowdy and fired up is what football fans love to do.

You don't have to beat people up to have a good time but you sure as hell can let them know there in CLE not their own city.

Football is a rough sport and the fans are a rough bunch. If you don't feel safe then stay home and sit in your lazy-boy but don't bash the ones who get to unwind and get a little crazy 8 times a year.

Pussifying football at its best.

What?? Who is bashing people for having a good time and rooting for their team??

I am bashing people who get inebriated and start fighting, cussing, and throwing things.

That isn't unwinding my friend. That is unlawful behavior.

What?? Who is bashing people for having a good time and rooting for their team??

I am bashing people who get inebriated and start fighting, cussing, and throwing things.

That isn't unwinding my friend. That is unlawful behavior.

I'm not aiming at you peen. It's the corporate mentality that bashes the fan who gets a little too rowdy for their particular liking. It's hard to draw the perfect line in the sand as they have tried to do.

I'm not aiming at you peen. It's the corporate mentality that bashes the fan who gets a little too rowdy for their particular liking. It's hard to draw the perfect line in the sand as they have tried to do.

I know you're not....and I agree it is hard to spell out in definitive terms what works and what doesn't.

I think the Browns are doing a pretty good job....they give people warnings for stuff like foul language and standing all the time.

I myself don't cuss all that much and never if a woman or child is around...at least women I don't know...the southern upbringing I suppose.

I don't care if people cuss...it doesn't bother me....but it does bother some, and I don't think it is the guy saying damn...it's the guy shouting F-bombs down to the field...like anyone outside 10 rows is going to hear anyway.

I do mind people standing up all the time. I have gone to games for years, and know when to stand, but some people just want to stand...well, I don't want to look at their ass the entire game..even the best looking gal in the stadium.

I see it like this..when you go to a good movie in a packed auditorium, you don't have people standing up during exciting moments in the flick...shoot...most people get annoyed if someone in the row in front of them gets up to go get a popcorn, then gets up again to go use the restroom.

The next movie you go to...try to watch it standing up...see how long it takes for people to start yelling at you. ;)

I remember back in the day, especially when pittsburgh would come in, there would be fights everywhere....bathrooms, concourses, bleachers... it really was pretty scary...especially for a kid my age.

This was my first exposure to seeing adults going crazy and fighting..

The worst thing I saw was after a home game...some dudes started unloading on a vehicle that almost hit them as they were walking.,,they busted out all the windows, almost tipped the vehicle AND

cold cocked the driver a few times for good measure

i was at the Monday night football game against the Giants last year... and my section (lower, behind end zone) was standing the whole game.

we went to the packers game this year and no one was standing. it was pretty sad by comparision.

i think it's one of those tough lines to draw. if i'm at a game, i want to be as much of an active participant as i can be as a fan.

gotta be respectful of the people around you, but if i wanted to sit and be all comfortable, i'd have stayed home.

different strokes i guess.... does the dawg pound stand a lot, or does it just depend on the game?

Archived