THE BROWNS BOARD

Its not as bad as it seems

PlayoffsIN09

Look...we have a playoff caliber defense to be proud of. The 16 points the Rats scored was very decieving. Our problem is we can't score points and if you can't score TDs you lose no matter how good the defense is. If we can sign a veteran QB, draft RT, TE than can catch, and speed WR we will be right back in it (assume all are great players and get on the same page). In my opinion, we are not as far from winning as it seems. Anyone else agree or understand what i'm saying?

For the 1st half of last night it was maaaaaybe a playoff caliber defense. I'd honestly chalk it up more to Baltimore just really having problems. But the Browns D's 32nd rank out of 32 says otherwise about reality. It wouldn't have been a shutout in the 1st half either had it not been for the missed FG by Hauschka (who got let go today btw).

I understand and agree completely this team is better than what we've seen on the field. That's why I say it comes to coaching right now. If the screen isn't there, why does Daboll keep trying to force it to work? If Jamal Lewis is gonna retire and can't gain more than 2 yards a carry, why does he start? Where is Harrison at? The season is fukin done, why don't we see more of guys that will be here next season instead of veterans who can't cut it? As much as I want Quinn to be our guy, he is just looking more and more like a bad pick and I do not think either he or DA will be here next season. But for the time being if BQ's strength is short - medium passes, why do we not play call to his strengths? We rarely if ever go across the middle, it's always stupid fukn screens or check downs. Does Daboll not communicate with the QB's at all? Where is the "Mangenius" in all of this? Why does he continue to let this atrocious play calling go on?

For the 1st half of last night it was maaaaaybe a playoff caliber defense. I'd honestly chalk it up more to Baltimore just really having problems. But the Browns D's 32nd rank out of 32 says otherwise about reality. It wouldn't have been a shutout in the 1st half either had it not been for the missed FG by Hauschka (who got let go today btw).

Well of course you're going to average over 400 yards given up when your offense is on the field for 10 minutes.

The thing I'm happy with is that our defense played well with Maiava and Trusnik starting. We could very well have a solid LB corp next year with D'Qwell and Maiava at ILB and Trusnik and Wimbley starting at OLB. If we can find a CB to replace McDonald, we could have a decent secondary to back up our LB's. And Robaire played pretty well last night as well. All we need is really a better CB, and we have a defense that can play with the big boys. They could be a playoff caliber defense if we could generate some points. I think the defense needs to get in the mindset that they have to do everything, because the offense clearly isn't going to help them out. Our defense has to score as well as stop the other team from scoring.

The thing I'm happy with is that our defense played well with Maiava and Trusnik starting. We could very well have a solid LB corp next year with D'Qwell and Maiava at ILB and Trusnik and Wimbley starting at OLB. If we can find a CB to replace McDonald, we could have a decent secondary to back up our LB's. And Robaire played pretty well last night as well. All we need is really a better CB, and we have a defense that can play with the big boys. They could be a playoff caliber defense if we could generate some points. I think the defense needs to get in the mindset that they have to do everything, because the offense clearly isn't going to help them out. Our defense has to score as well as stop the other team from scoring.

if you have a defense that can dominate and score some points each game.......your team CAN with with a QB who is just able to MANAGE the offense. .

of course you need a couple playmakers on offense to offset the QB's lack of big play potential..

This is the formula the Rat Birds used as they throttled to glory in 2001 Super Bowl

I understand and agree completely this team is better than what we've seen on the field. That's why I say it comes to coaching right now. If the screen isn't there, why does Daboll keep trying to force it to work? If Jamal Lewis is gonna retire and can't gain more than 2 yards a carry, why does he start? Where is Harrison at? The season is fukin done, why don't we see more of guys that will be here next season instead of veterans who can't cut it? As much as I want Quinn to be our guy, he is just looking more and more like a bad pick and I do not think either he or DA will be here next season. But for the time being if BQ's strength is short - medium passes, why do we not play call to his strengths? We rarely if ever go across the middle, it's always stupid fukn screens or check downs. Does Daboll not communicate with the QB's at all? Where is the "Mangenius" in all of this? Why does he continue to let this atrocious play calling go on?

Maybe Quinn is the one calling the check downs. Did you ever think that might be the case? That's what the MNF crew said about that backdoor screen.

Guys, you can't have it both ways. You can't hang the negatives on Mangini and then give credit to the coordinators for anything positive. It's just not going to work that way. The Football Czar will come in and evaluate things.

Maybe Quinn is the one calling the check downs. Did you ever think that might be the case? That's what the MNF crew said about that backdoor screen.

Guys, you can't have it both ways. You can't hang the negatives on Mangini and then give credit to the coordinators for anything positive. It's just not going to work that way. The Football Czar will come in and evaluate things.

That could very well be true and probably it is mainly Quinn throwing to the flats instead of the receivers. But when it happens almost every time we pass it makes me wonder. I'm just frustrated because our offense looks nothing like an NFL caliber offense.

if you have a defense that can dominate and score some points each game.......your team CAN with with a QB who is just able to MANAGE the offense. .

of course you need a couple playmakers on offense to offset the QB's lack of big play potential..

This is the formula the Rat Birds used as they throttled to glory in 2001 Super Bowl

As much as I hate the Ravens, they always seem to be pretty successful in running their teams. It's probably because they are one of very few organizations who plays to their players strengths, and doesn't try to fit a square peg into a round hole. I think we need to take advantage of that. We need to stop trying to make players fit into a system that they obviously do not mesh with. Our offense should be structured around the strengths of the players we currently have. If that means running the Flash package for 80% of the snaps, so be it. Something to at least get our offense to be competitive.

That could very well be true and probably it is mainly Quinn throwing to the flats instead of the receivers. But when it happens almost every time we pass it makes me wonder. I'm just frustrated because our offense looks nothing like an NFL caliber offense.

I think the problem is that Quinn is reading the field from the bottom up, instead of top down. It's been proven that he doesn't have time to breathe in the pocket, let alone drop back five steps and read the deep receivers. It seemed last night that, instead of reading the deep routes and then going to his checkdowns, Quinn was treating his checkdowns as the primary receivers. He was looking immediately for the WR on the slant, or the TE/RB in the flats. It's probably a combination of playcalling as well as nerves. Look at it from his point of view. It's hard enough adapting to the speed of the NFL in your rookie season (which this pretty much is for him), but when you're constantly under pressure right from the get-go, it makes things much harder. The deep plays that have been called haven't worked, but the short plays have at least garnered positive yardage, so he's going to stick with those. This Detroit game could be what he needs. I think we need to come out and just let the ball fly against their weak pass defense, let him build up some confidence. He'll throw some picks, he'll get sacked, but he'll also get a feel for the deep ball and for his receivers. At least, I hope he would.

This Detroit game could be what he needs.

I cut out all the excuses you just wrote and narrowed it down to this statement.

The quoted statement above is very important. Because it is what the Browns need. They won't beat the Lions. I'm calling it 28-0 in favor of Detroit. THAT is what the Browns need. Once they get smoked by Detroit, and they will, only then will it really truly sink in.

I cut out all the excuses you just wrote and narrowed it down to this statement.

The quoted statement above is very important. Because it is what the Browns need. They won't beat the Lions. I'm calling it 28-0 in favor of Detroit. THAT is what the Browns need. Once they get smoked by Detroit, and they will, only then will it really truly sink in.

Why exactly are they excuses again? I'm confused. Is it because they don't paint Brady Quinn in the light that you want him to be painted? I find it highly unlikely that Brady Quinn is the sole problem of the Cleveland Browns, therefore making my above statements not excuses, but actual observations from a person who watched the game.

Why exactly are they excuses again? I'm confused. Is it because they don't paint Brady Quinn in the light that you want him to be painted? I find it highly unlikely that Brady Quinn is the sole problem of the Cleveland Browns, therefore making my above statements not excuses, but actual observations from a person who watched the game.

I agree Quinn is not the only problem but he is part of the problem. From my point of view it just looks like he (Quinn) is not even trying.

Archived