THE BROWNS BOARD

Sandy Alomar To Be New 1st Base Coach

Cowsrus

11/17/2009 4:42 PM ET

Indians Hall of Famer Sandy Alomar, Jr. named to Major League coaching staff

Six-Time AL All-Star Was Voted 1990 Rookie of the Year; 3rd All-Time in Club History with 950 Games Caught

CLEVELAND, OH - The Cleveland Indians and Manager MANNY ACTA today announced the hiring of SANDY ALOMAR, JR. as First Base Coach.

Alomar, 43, spent eleven (11) seasons catching with the Cleveland Indians from 1990-2000 where he was a six-time All-Star selection and last summer was the 33rd player to be inducted into the Indians Hall of Fame. During his tenure with the Indians, Alomar hit .277 (944-3409) with 194 doubles, 92 home runs and 453 RBI in 985 games and was the Tribe's field leader behind the plate on club's that won five (5) American League Central Division titles and two (2) American League Pennants.

One of the most popular players in club history, Alomar's best season came during the Tribe's run to the 1997 World Series when he hit .324 (146-451) with 37 2B, 21HR and 83 RBI in 125 games, earning All-Star Game MVP honors and finishing 14th in the AL MVP voting. His 950 games caught are the third highest total in the 109-year history of the Indians organization. Sandy concluded his 20-year Major League playing career with the New York Mets in 2007 and finished with a career average of .273 (1236-4530) with 249 2B, 112HR & 588RBI in 1377 games. He was the 1990 American League Rookie of the Year and the Rawlings Gold Glove Award recipient that same season.

Alomar spent the last two seasons as the New York Mets Major League Catching Instructor. Additionally, Alomar will mentor and instruct Indians catchers as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/pre...sp&c_id=cle

Yeah, I kinda like the idea of Sandy coming back. Cleveland likes him and his poor knees get a rest. I think he'll be a decent coach since catchers deal with players (mostly pitchers) and they're used to it. Did I make sense? Plus he'll be dealing a little bit with the catching end of it too.

Archived