THE BROWNS BOARD

Was the offensive play-calling really so bad?

professor_g

How much of this ineptitude on offense is really on Daboll's shoulders? This past game made it clear to me that the right side of our line is a joke, and I'm guessing that's mainly about skill level at those positions, not about schemes or play-calling. This past game also brought further confirmation to suspicions that our quarterbacks completely suck as far as accuracy goes.

What I'm interested in: Were there bone-headed calls on offense this week? I've seen some in past weeks, but I actually liked the variety of calls this week. And the focus on quick, short passing plays-- what else are you supposed to do with Quinn and that line?

If the two intercepted passes are thrown more accurately they wouldn't have been intercepted. I blame this on Quinn but the blame can be shared with the receivers. We don't execute well, we have two rookie receivers and a weak right side of the line. I'm not sure there is much that can be done with play calling but Quinn went to the bubble screens way too much. The Ravens were reading them and we were lucky another wasn't intercepted.

Receivers aren't open, the QB misses them when they are open, offensive line is porous, very little push on running plays. I'm not sure what plays can be called when you have all of those problems

If the two intercepted passes are thrown more accurately they wouldn't have been intercepted. I blame this on Quinn but the blame can be shared with the receivers. We don't execute well, we have two rookie receivers and a weak right side of the line. I'm not sure there is much that can be done with play calling but Quinn went to the bubble screens way too much. The Ravens were reading them and we were lucky another wasn't intercepted.

Receivers aren't open, the QB misses them when they are open, offensive line is porous, very little push on running plays. I'm not sure what plays can be called when you have all of those problems

I'll buy into some of the stuff you are saying here Dawg, but he hit Furrey in the numbers and somehow the ball popped up over his head.

I saw way to many WR screens where a WR grabbed the ball and was hit before he could move.

I watched Cribbs line up in the Flash Package and run the same damn play ever single time.

I watch Jennings come in and gain some yardage on a few good run plays, then I watched Jimmy Jam sub in for him and tap dance around and stall the run game.

If they are going to pass they need to get a speed back in the line up and hit him out of the back field, (Like the 15-20 gain they had throwing it to Jennings) or throw some quick slants across the middle.

All I know is, is that when we feed the running game, we get good results. See the Cinncy and Buffalo rushing totals.

I'd line up in a full house back field every time and try to run the ball down the throat of the D with Cribbs and every running back I could find. I never see enough of Vickers.

How much of this ineptitude on offense is really on Daboll's shoulders? This past game made it clear to me that the right side of our line is a joke, and I'm guessing that's mainly about skill level at those positions, not about schemes or play-calling. This past game also brought further confirmation to suspicions that our quarterbacks completely suck as far as accuracy goes.

What I'm interested in: Were there bone-headed calls on offense this week? I've seen some in past weeks, but I actually liked the variety of calls this week. And the focus on quick, short passing plays-- what else are you supposed to do with Quinn and that line?

Variety? All I saw were a ton of bubble screens and quick outs! There was no variety other than to run each play to the left and to the right. A variety of plays would be to not wait until the last possession of the game to throw the ball more than 20 yards...or to actually run something other than Cribbs running the ball out of the WildDawg...or to actually give the ball to the receiver on the end-around more than once out of the fifty times the play is run. That would be variety. Not running the same short passes over and over and then trying to get Jamal to actually run the ball more than 2 yards at a time.

Archived