THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn fined

ballpeen

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Cleveland Browns quarterback Brady Quinn has been fined by the NFL for his chop block on Baltimore's Terrell Suggs.

After throwing an interception in Monday night's 16-0 loss to the Ravens, Quinn dived at Suggs' knees while trying to bring down cornerback Chris Carr, who had picked him off. Suggs had to leave the game and could miss significant playing time.

Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis accused Quinn of a cheap shot.

Quinn said he received a letter from the league on Wednesday but would not disclose the size of his fine, saying only that it was ``a good amount.'' Quinn insists he was not trying to hurt Suggs and has apologized to him and the Ravens.

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Cleveland Browns quarterback Brady Quinn has been fined by the NFL for his chop block on Baltimore's Terrell Suggs.

After throwing an interception in Monday night's 16-0 loss to the Ravens, Quinn dived at Suggs' knees while trying to bring down cornerback Chris Carr, who had picked him off. Suggs had to leave the game and could miss significant playing time.

Quinn said he received a letter from the league on Wednesday but would not disclose the size of his fine, saying only that it was ``a good amount.'' Quinn insists he was not trying to hurt Suggs and has apologized to him and the Ravens.

Interesting... Quinn's hit was clearly against the rules. But I'm finding it difficult to agree with Ravens' linebacker Ray Lewis in classifying it as a "cheap shot". It wasn't as though Quinn's hit didn't impact the play - which is what Mr. Lewis was implying. Or at least, how I understand a cheap shot. "Cheap" implies that it was in some way superfluous. You KO a guy 30 yards down field, or thump a quarterback whose already released the ball.

In fact, what Brady did was precisely what you teach a cornerback to do in pulling linemen situations; that being, sub the lead blocker - collapse the alley. That's exactly what Quinn did. He cut the lead blocker into the ball carrier. And in so doing, forced Carr to slow down and change direction allowing John St. Clair to make the tackle. It just happens to be illegal on plays where there is a change of possession.

It's a lot more similar to someone grabbing the facemask while tackling, than it is a typical "cheap shot."

-jj

Interesting... Quinn's hit was clearly against the rules. But I'm finding it difficult to agree with Ravens' linebacker Ray Lewis in classifying it as a "cheap shot". It wasn't as though Quinn's hit didn't impact the play - which is what Mr. Lewis was implying. Or at least, how I understand a cheap shot. "Cheap" implies that it was in some way superfluous. You KO a guy 30 yards down field, or thump a quarterback whose already released the ball.

In fact, what Brady did was precisely what you teach a cornerback to do in pulling linemen situations; that being, sub the lead blocker - collapse the alley. That's exactly what Quinn did. He cut the lead blocker into the ball carrier. And in so doing, forced Carr to slow down and change direction allowing John St. Clair to make the tackle. It just happens to be illegal on plays where there is a change of possession.

It's a lot more similar to someone grabbing the facemask while tackling, than it is a typical "cheap shot."

-jj

Not only that JJ but it wasn't that low. It started off as a perfect chop around thigh level and became lower. It was a great hit and reminded me of Will Allen's hit on McGahee in the National Championship Game. A hit hard enough to the thigh will cause the knee to hyper extend which leads to major injury possibilities as the hitter slides down.

I'd say it was cheap but barely, and only because it was somewhat blindside. Suggs wasn't ready.

The size of the fine is now being reported as $10,000.

Ok with that, now fine the guy who hit Cribbs an equal amount.

This may sound bad, but I can't find any other way to put it. After the Ravens defense has bullied the league for so long it was nice to see someone give them a cheap shot back. I have always thought the Ravens D was a bunch of thugs, and now when someone gives them some of their own medecine Ray Lewis crys.

Archived