THE BROWNS BOARD

RUMOR: On Sportstalk Cleveland

BrownsFanForLife

Charlie Casserly MAY be hired as the new Cleveland Browns President & GM within the next 72 hours. Nothing is confirmed but that's what we are hearing - STORY DEVELOPING

Thought i would post this rumor for people.

thanks for the update. does anyone mind explaining who in the hell charlie casserly is?

Washington Redskins

In his 23-year career with the Washington Redskins, the team went to four Super Bowls, winning three. Casserly was an assistant to Bobby Beathard for two of the Super Bowl winning seasons. In 2003, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue appointed him to the NFL's Competition Committee for the second time (2003–06; 1996–1999).

Casserly started with the Redskins in 1977 as an unpaid intern under Hall of Fame coach, George Allen. Washington hired Casserly as a scout the next season. During his early years as a scout, he unearthed free agents Joe Jacoby and Jeff Bostic, who were original members of the famed "Hogs" offensive line and key components of Washington's first two Super Bowl teams. Jacoby was selected to four Pro Bowls and Bostic made one trip to Honolulu. The Redskins elevated Casserly to Assistant General Manager in 1982 and the club went on to capture its first Super Bowl. That year, Casserly also re-instituted the club's intern program, which has produced more than 20 league executives over his years in Washington and Houston.

In 1987 during the NFL players strike, Casserly put together the Redskins' "replacement" team that went 3–0 before the strike ended, including a Monday Night win against a Dallas team that featured a number of its star players. That experience was the subject of the Warner Bros. feature film, "The Replacements," that starred Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman.[citation needed]

Elevated to General Manager in 1989, Casserly sustained the Redskins' history of uncovering high-quality players in the later rounds of the draft.[citation needed] He used a fifth-round draft pick in 1990 to select Southwest Louisiana quarterback Brian Mitchell. Washington then converted Mitchell into a running back/kick returner, where he later joined Jim Brown as the only players in NFL history to lead the league in combined net yards four times. In 1996, Casserly plucked Auburn University running back Stephen Davis in the fourth round. Davis paced the NFC in rushing in 1999 with 1,450 yards. Casserly also drafted future Pro Bowlers in wide receiver Keenan McCardell (12th round, 1991) and tight end Frank Wycheck (sixth round, 1993). During the 1999 off-season, Casserly acquired veteran quarterback Brad Johnson who responded with a Pro Bowl season.

In 1999, Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Weekly, The Sporting News and USA Today named Casserly their NFL Executive of the Year at mid-season. On draft day in 1999, Casserly acquired all of the New Orleans Saints 1999 selections, plus their first and third-round picks in 2000 by swapping the Redskins' fifth selection in the first round for the Saints' 12th choice. He still managed to obtain the player that Washington wanted, selecting future Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

Not all of Casserly's picks were good ones. A number of his selections were poor, with the most notable example being Heath Shuler, who was selected with the third overall pick in the 1994 NFL draft. Shuler had a fruitless NFL career. In 2008, ESPN rated Shuler the 4th biggest NFL Draft bust of all time.[2]

Casserly's Redskins career ended after the 1999 season when he was fired by team owner Dan Snyder.[3]

[edit] Houston Texans

After leaving the Redskins, Casserly took on the General Manager role for the expansion Houston Texans. With the franchise's first four selections in the 2002 NFL Draft, Casserly drafted David Carr, Jabar Gaffney, Chester Pitts, and Fred Weary.

During Casserly's remaining drafts for the Texans, (2003 through 2006), the Texans drafted five eventual Pro-Bowlers: Andre Johnson (WR, 2003), Jerome Mathis (KR, 2005), DeMeco Ryans (LB, 2006), Mario Williams (DE, 2006) and Owen Daniels (TE 2006). Ryans was also named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2006. Mario Williams, who many criticized for being the #1 overall pick in 2006 (behind rookie standouts Reggie Bush and Vince Young), made the Pro Bowl in the 2008 season.

During Casserly's tenure as GM, the Texans went 4–12 in their inaugural season of 2002, then improved to 5–11 in 2003 and 7–9 in 2004 before slumping to a disappointing 2–14 record in 2005. During the 2005 season, while the Texans were 1–12, team owner Bob McNair hired former NFL coach Dan Reeves to serve as a consultant to help McNair evaluate his team.[4] After the end of the season, head coach Dom Capers was fired by McNair.[5] Casserly was criticized for a number of personnel moves, including trading second and third round picks to the Oakland Raiders for Phillip Buchanon in 2005.[6] Buchanon was a poor player for the Texans in 2005, and was released by the team after the first four games of the 2006 season.[7] In a public interview, McNair criticized the trade for Buchanon, saying that the front office had not done its homework.[8]

Subsequent to the Texans' 2006 NFL Draft and after the Texans' 2-14 season, Casserly left the organization on June 1, 2006. Casserly sought a job in the National Football League front office, but was passed over for the job.[9] He was succeeded as General Manager by Rick Smith. Casserly's work with the Texans has been subject to much criticism

we dont need someone to find talent mangini does that just fine(see NY Jets, and don't say that was tannenbaums doing hes a lawyer FFS) All Casserly will be doing is being the face of the organization and take some of the heat and work off Mangini's shoulders.

i wouldn't mind this guy... at least we're looking at options.

we NEED someone who can scout/find talent, and this guy has some great hits (with some misses as well)

how old is this bastard, though? seriously.

I would mind him and true at least we are looking at all option instead of hiring the first interview (clears throught).

Couple of good picks. It seems he's good at drafting (somewhat) and bad with current talent and trades. I mean it would be a step up, but we are already in hell.

we dont need someone to find talent mangini does that just fine(see NY Jets, and don't say that was tannenbaums doing hes a lawyer FFS) All Casserly will be doing is being the face of the organization and take some of the heat and work off Mangini's shoulders.

when i say someone that finds talent.....maybe it's the wrong term.

i'm talking Steelers and Patriots... they KNOW who they want and they find players that work.

The steelers take rookies and undrafted players (Mewelde Moore, Mike Wallace) and turn them into solid players for their team.

The pats do the same. (Where did Welker come from? Cassell? Edeleman? They had a guy they signed last week playing on sunday night)

whatever it takes to get to THAT level... scouting, GM, coaching, whatever... that's what i want.

when i say someone that finds talent.....maybe it's the wrong term.

i'm talking Steelers and Patriots... they KNOW who they want and they find players that work.

The steelers take rookies and undrafted players (Mewelde Moore, Mike Wallace) and turn them into solid players for their team.

The pats do the same. (Where did Welker come from? Cassell? Edeleman? They had a guy they signed last week playing on sunday night)

whatever it takes to get to THAT level... scouting, GM, coaching, whatever... that's what i want.

For the Squeelers its some guy named HGH

Casserly is a great football guy..he is the one who had balls to pass on reggie bush as he knew he was not the NFL player everyon eassumed..and locked in mario williams...of redskin history speaks for itself...

Owen Daniels may be the best TE in the NFL right now...

this guy i a REAL nfl GM...

he does lack QB skills...but as many have pointed out even as recently as last night on movethesticks.com QBs are crap shoots and its luck to hit on one that high....

Ron wolf used to draft one every year in round 6 or 7 and would hit on 1 out of 4 that show he drafted his QBs...interesting draft style..

I have No idea who he likes for coaches though?...

Charlie Casserly MAY be hired as the new Cleveland Browns President & GM within the next 72 hours. Nothing is confirmed but that's what we are hearing - STORY DEVELOPING

Thought i would post this rumor for people.

IMHO, Casserly would be a 'soft' but, perhaps, solid selection.

Not sure he is strong enough for the two positions.

I would hope Lerner went out and got somebody, if you know what I mean.

With names like Shanahan, Holmgren, Dungy and others out there, Casserly would be another 'miss' for Lerner.

Charlie is a good Irish Catholic from Springfield, MA so I would be happy FOR HIM.

Are we truly being honest with ourselves when we try and evaluate the quality of a GM by his draft picks. My point is this. It's a total crap shoot. And IMO, with kids coming out of college with only 2 or 3 years behind and the the lure of huge paydays has me to believe that this makes drafting all the harder.

A prime example is Crabtree. Sure he hasn't played yet I know that.. But the idiot held out, even gave thought to getting back into next years draft, only to sign for what was originally offered. This Crabtree isn't about playing he is about payday and IMO, that make drafting him all the more or a risk. These kids play hard for 2 - 4 years for a payday, get to the pro's and quit. 20 years ago, players came out of college and played, the lure of huge contracts was not there. Now all you have to do is be a marketable player in college and you can be handed a life changing sum of money that most of us could retire on for the rest of our life.

They can be great in college, yet today horrible standards of cutting large checks makes drafting better NFL players even harder.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. I want a seasoned football guy who as our GM.

Are we truly being honest with ourselves when we try and evaluate the quality of a GM by his draft picks. My point is this. It's a total crap shoot. And IMO, with kids coming out of college with only 2 or 3 years behind and the the lure of huge paydays has me to believe that this makes drafting all the harder.

A prime example is Crabtree. Sure he hasn't played yet I know that.. But the idiot held out, even gave thought to getting back into next years draft, only to sign for what was originally offered. This Crabtree isn't about playing he is about payday and IMO, that make drafting him all the more or a risk. These kids play hard for 2 - 4 years for a payday, get to the pro's and quit. 20 years ago, players came out of college and played, the lure of huge contracts was not there. Now all you have to do is be a marketable player in college and you can be handed a life changing sum of money that most of us could retire on for the rest of our life.

They can be great in college, yet today horrible standards of cutting large checks makes drafting better NFL players even harder.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. I want a seasoned football guy who as our GM.

That might be the reason he would be unsuccessful. He won those Superbowls 20 years ago? The mindset of the players today might be clouding the mindset of his drafting ability? Just a thought.

I do agree we need a seasoned GM. None of this, "I kissed Belichecks ass so I must know football" people.

here's my biggest concern: is lerner really about to hire another guy after only interiewing one person? it sounds like it considering we haven't heard too much out of berea. it sounds like it could be another situation where he focuses on bringing in one person and is blinded by his infatuation with that person; even if he is a proven loser ala mangini. my hope is that he took his time and took people's interviews and advice seriously. however, after the last 6 years of this incompetence, i wouldn't be surprised to see he proved me right.

IMHO, Casserly would be a 'soft' but, perhaps, solid selection.

Not sure he is strong enough for the two positions.

I would hope Lerner went out and got somebody, if you know what I mean.

With names like Shanahan, Holmgren, Dungy and others out there, Casserly would be another 'miss' for Lerner.

Charlie is a good Irish Catholic from Springfield, MA so I would be happy FOR HIM.

Shanahan is looking to coach.

How do you know the others aren't interested??

Casserly is a solid football guy. He knows what it takes and has been through the wringer...I would welcome the hire.

The talk outside of Cleveland is that Holmgren said thanks but no thanks. The problem is that 90% of what you hear in the NFL is flat out lies, but trust me, you would know if a gaggle of good people were interested in this job. Nobody is and it's because of Lerner's track record.

Plain and simple?......a clean slate is a clean slate! Mangini could turn out to be the next Belichick but as of now, he is just a mark on the slate.

Wow I don't know about that. Money talks. So does Ego. Someone will want to prove that They can turn this franchise around. Lerner does not have a bad track record. Kokinis is the first person he's fired before giving them 4 years, and he was fired for cause.

The talk outside of Cleveland is that Holmgren said thanks but no thanks. The problem is that 90% of what you hear in the NFL is flat out lies, but trust me, you would know if a gaggle of good people were interested in this job. Nobody is and it's because of Lerner's track record.

Plain and simple?......a clean slate is a clean slate! Mangini could turn out to be the next Belichick but as of now, he is just a mark on the slate.

I think the fact is that it is just too early. Until the season is over we won't know who they are interested in really pursuing, or in who may be pursuing them. I guarantee you that the egos of some people will give them the itch to want to take this job. And Lerner's "track record" will have nothing to do with the decision. If a Billick, or Gruden, or Cowher, or Shanahan, or Holmgren, etc. etc. are interested in taking an NFL job, this one would be as appealing as any out there. A wealthy owner, a good fan base, a ton of draft picks, a great tradition etc. They would leap at the chance.

(But I do agree that 90% of what you hear is lies....or rumors).

I don't know why it would have to be after the season ends.

It might make sense to bring the guy in ASAP.

Not so much to make changes this year, but as a way to evaluate existing coaches and players and to give the new hire a sense of if he can work with these people or not.

Archived