THE BROWNS BOARD

RUMOR: On Sportstalk Cleveland

BrownsFanForLife

I don't know why it would have to be after the season ends.

It might make sense to bring the guy in ASAP.

Not so much to make changes this year, but as a way to evaluate existing coaches and players and to give the new hire a sense of if he can work with these people or not.

and to get a good scouting department set up and start scouting the layers coming out in the draft.

The real reason to wait until the season ends is simply to allow Mangini time. Lerner will not want to be seen as dumping a guy he just hired. He will wait things out until the end of the season. He will hire his Football Czar who will then be given free reign, assumably, to hire/fire whomever he wants, including the HC.

and to get a good scouting department set up and start scouting the layers coming out in the draft.

He won't be able to do much with the scouting department now. Almost all of the games have been played except bowl games. He is almost completely dependent upon the system which was set up by Mangini and Kokinis. You might watch some bowl games with a different perspective but many of the sleepers won't be playing in bowl games. If the scouts have video clips of different players that might help him a lot.

when i say someone that finds talent.....maybe it's the wrong term.

i'm talking Steelers and Patriots... they KNOW who they want and they find players that work.

The steelers take rookies and undrafted players (Mewelde Moore, Mike Wallace) and turn them into solid players for their team.

The pats do the same. (Where did Welker come from? Cassell? Edeleman? They had a guy they signed last week playing on sunday night)

whatever it takes to get to THAT level... scouting, GM, coaching, whatever... that's what i want.

don't give the Steelers too much credit for Mewelde Moore. He played for the Vikings for a few years first.

I think the fact is that it is just too early. Until the season is over we won't know who they are interested in really pursuing, or in who may be pursuing them.

where'd you get that info? Everything I've been reading has been saying they want to get this Czar or Guru in before December, so they can evaluate Mangini.

where'd you get that info? Everything I've been reading has been saying they want to get this Czar or Guru in before December, so they can evaluate Mangini.

Well, that may be true. What I guess I am saying is that Mangenious WILL coach out the season. If they do pick someone now, it would only be on a "consultancy" basis, to do, as you say "evaluation". They would have no authority to make moves probably until the end of the season. Then they will be hired "officially" as Director of Football Operations or whatever title Lerner wants to give the guy (assuming it is a guy....any women candidates?....I didn't think so)

Here are Casserly's drafts in Houston. Though a subjective exercise, I've colored green the picks I've judged to be good ones, the bad ones red, and the the debatable ones black.

Ironically, his best draft came in '06, when he was already a dead man walking in Houston. After the hiring of Gary Kubiak as head coach, it was assumed that Casserly wouldn't survive long past the '06 draft; in fact, there's been some back & forth as to who actually decided to pass on Reggie Bush, taking Mario Williams instead.

But besides that draft, I don't see much positive from Casserly's time in Houston.

2002:

1 David Carr QB Fresno St.

2 Jabar Gaffney WR Florida

2 Chester Pitts OG San Diego St.

3 Fred Weary OL Tennessee

3 Charles Hill DT Maryland

4 Jonathan Wells HB Ohio St.

5 Jarrod Baxter FB New Mexico

5 Ramone Walker S Pittsburgh

6 DeMarcus Faggins CB Kansas St.

6 Howard Green DT LSU

7 Greg "Stylez" White DE Minnesota

7 Ahmad Miller DT UNLV

2003:

1 Andre Johnson WR Miami

2 Bennie Joppru TE Michigan

3 Antwan Peek OLB Cincinnati

3 Seth Wand OT NW Missouri St.

3 Dave Ragone QB Louisville

4 Domanick Davis HB LSU

6 Drew Henson QB Michigan

6 Keith Wright DE Missouri

7 Curry Burns S Louisville

7 Chance Pearce C Texas A&M

2004:

1 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina

1 Jason Babin DE W. Michigan

4 Glenn Earl S Notre Dame

6 Vontez Duff CB Notre Dame

6 Jammal Lord RB Nebraska

6 Charlie Anderson DE Ole Miss

7 Raheem Orr DE Rutgers

7 Sloan Thomas WR Texas

7 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech

2005:

1 Travis Johnson DT Florida St.

3 Vernand Morency HB Oklahoma St.

4 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

5 Drew Hodgdon C Arizona St.

6 C.C. Brown S La. Lafayette

7 Kenneth Pettway OLB Grambling

2006:

1 Mario Williams DE NC State

2 DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama

3 Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh

3 Eric Winston T Miami

4 Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin

6 Wali Lundy RB Virginia

7 David Anderson WR Colorado State

Well, that may be true. What I guess I am saying is that Mangenious WILL coach out the season. If they do pick someone now, it would only be on a "consultancy" basis, to do, as you say "evaluation". They would have no authority to make moves probably until the end of the season. Then they will be hired "officially" as Director of Football Operations or whatever title Lerner wants to give the guy (assuming it is a guy....any women candidates?....I didn't think so)

Nobody...at least I didn't say Mangini wouldn't finish out the season if someone is brought in now.

The positives of bringing the person on board ASAP....assuming it is the guy Lerner really wants...far outweigh waiting.

If Casserly as an example is the guy Lerner wants, bring him on now. It gives Mangini a fair shake in his eventual evaluation, and gives Casserly(again, assuming) a fair shake in giving him enough time to really evaluate the guy.

Everybody seems to assume Mangini is toast and he has zero chance of sticking. If Casserly decides to keep mangini, would it not be better for him to be able to make that announcement having actually worked with the guy a month or so during game conditions rather than walk in and make that announcement after 1-2 weeks on the job?

Its interesting that everyone wants a "tried and tested" GM but in reality all they really want is good draft picks.

gets to my point............How is Bernie Kosar not qualified to pick Clay Mathews/Maclin /Rey Rey.

Kosar has the fans trust and unlike any coach brought in he will be here in 10 years.

Bitchin you have no talent is ludicrous......Mangini traded easily your best two playmakers on offense..........for what ..a bag of coal and a few jets players.

Tell me Bernie couldnt have got more than that.

Its interesting that everyone wants a "tried and tested" GM but in reality all they really want is good draft picks.

gets to my point............How is Bernie Kosar not qualified to pick Clay Mathews/Maclin /Rey Rey.

Picking players is a fairly small role in a GM's overall responsibility. Communication and the ability to forecast are just as important.

Here are Casserly's drafts in Houston. Though a subjective exercise, I've colored green the picks I've judged to be good ones, the bad ones red, and the the debatable ones black.

Ironically, his best draft came in '06, when he was already a dead man walking in Houston. After the hiring of Gary Kubiak as head coach, it was assumed that Casserly wouldn't survive long past the '06 draft; in fact, there's been some back & forth as to who actually decided to pass on Reggie Bush, taking Mario Williams instead.

But besides that draft, I don't see much positive from Casserly's time in Houston.

2002:

1 David Carr QB Fresno St.

2 Jabar Gaffney WR Florida

2 Chester Pitts OG San Diego St.

3 Fred Weary OL Tennessee

3 Charles Hill DT Maryland

4 Jonathan Wells HB Ohio St.

5 Jarrod Baxter FB New Mexico

5 Ramone Walker S Pittsburgh

6 DeMarcus Faggins CB Kansas St.

6 Howard Green DT LSU

7 Greg "Stylez" White DE Minnesota

7 Ahmad Miller DT UNLV

2003:

1 Andre Johnson WR Miami

2 Bennie Joppru TE Michigan

3 Antwan Peek OLB Cincinnati

3 Seth Wand OT NW Missouri St.

3 Dave Ragone QB Louisville

4 Domanick Davis HB LSU

6 Drew Henson QB Michigan

6 Keith Wright DE Missouri

7 Curry Burns S Louisville

7 Chance Pearce C Texas A&M

2004:

1 Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina

1 Jason Babin DE W. Michigan

4 Glenn Earl S Notre Dame

6 Vontez Duff CB Notre Dame

6 Jammal Lord RB Nebraska

6 Charlie Anderson DE Ole Miss

7 Raheem Orr DE Rutgers

7 Sloan Thomas WR Texas

7 B.J. Symons QB Texas Tech

2005:

1 Travis Johnson DT Florida St.

3 Vernand Morency HB Oklahoma St.

4 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton

5 Drew Hodgdon C Arizona St.

6 C.C. Brown S La. Lafayette

7 Kenneth Pettway OLB Grambling

2006:

1 Mario Williams DE NC State

2 DeMeco Ryans OLB Alabama

3 Charles Spencer OG Pittsburgh

3 Eric Winston T Miami

4 Owen Daniels TE Wisconsin

6 Wali Lundy RB Virginia

7 David Anderson WR Colorado State

God dmn.....that's a fkin dream compared to our draft history since 99'

This is odd that we cant get any top performers for the job, is it that Mangini really sucks that bad with his management and people skills?

If so this is pitiful.

crap

If any perspective GM reads this board he would be afraid to take the job. The most likely GM is someone who feels the reward of getting a GM job is worth the risk. There are only two guys in football that I would hand all of the keys over and say "It's your car, turn us into a winner" These two are BB and Parcells

Do you honestly believe that it's due to Mangini? It has nothing to do with Mangini and everything to do with the big picture. The only way a big name comes to Cleveland is if Lerner can do three things....no strings (or head coaches) attached.

1. A long term commitment and plan which the new "big name" guy can fall in love with.

2. Complete, unequivocal, control with Lerner as a silent owner.

3. A perfectly clean slate for the new "big name" guy to start with.

Agreed. I honestly feel that Lerner is not an interfering owner, & that's a huge plus for a new guy coming in. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Mike

God dmn.....that's a fkin dream compared to our draft history since 99'

Since it's apparently easy to criticize the drafting of a prospective GM, I'm curious. Can any of you Googlemeisters locate the ideal candidate for us based on draft history?

Look we can bring in any GM we want but it wont mean **** unless our head case I mean coach gets off his high horse. He wants to bring in his own guys and wont listen to anybody.

Let's wait and see if that happens or not...whoever we hire will hold the trump card.

But whoever we bring in...it has to also be a case where they can get along with the coach....be in Mangini or someone else. The coach has to have some pretty significant input in to who he wants and what he needs.

Remember Savage and Crennel?? Seemed like Savage brought in guys Romeo didn't want.

When that happens, you end up with rooks on the bench not playing, because no matter what, the coach determines who plays and who sits.

The GM might be able to determine who is on the team and who isn't, but the coach can just decide he isn't playing them and that's that.

IMHO, Casserly would be a 'soft' but, perhaps, solid selection.

Not sure he is strong enough for the two positions.

I would hope Lerner went out and got somebody, if you know what I mean.

With names like Shanahan, Holmgren, Dungy and others out there, Casserly would be another 'miss' for Lerner.

Charlie is a good Irish Catholic from Springfield, MA so I would be happy FOR HIM.

The 3 guys you name better than Casserly have NEVER been gm's..they have done some dual role stuff.. actually dungy never was a GM.. so how can you say those guys are better..holmgrens and shannahans draft records got them fired or walking away.

Lets make Mangini GM, Rob Ryan HC, Crennel DC, Savage director of scouts, Kokinis director of pro personel, and when Weis gets fired for Notre Dame he can be the OC.

Were already paying all these guys except Weis, it seems logical and really actually intriging to me.

I like the way you think.

Lets make Mangini GM, Rob Ryan HC, Crennel DC, Savage director of scouts, Kokinis director of pro personel, and when Weis gets fired for Notre Dame he can be the OC.

Were already paying all these guys except Weis, it seems logical and really actually intriging to me.

LOVE IT!!! Add mike mayock as lone draft czar!!

Charlie Casserly MAY be hired as the new Cleveland Browns President & GM within the next 72 hours. Nothing is confirmed but that's what we are hearing - STORY DEVELOPING

Thought i would post this rumor for people.

YUCK! Knee jerk 101 dejavue.

Anyone want to tell me why that franchise is JUST starting to look worthy of the NFL in 2009? Is it because the goofball is gone?

If Lerner hires this clown - I'm done considering this new millenium gypsy act as the Cleveland Browns. Are you FREAKING kidding me?

Does ANYONE want to hold this Randy accountable for once? We're 10 years from decency if this hire unfolds. And we'll be wasting so much time pretending it's as simple as 1 OC or 1 Head Coach sucking.

- Tom F.

Archived