THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini-hating media

Chip Banks

Cleveland Browns meeting with players union was routine, says team player rep Hank Fraley

By Tony Grossi

November 19, 2009, 12:48PM

hBEREA, Ohio -- Reports of the NFL players union looking into Browns complaints about long practices apparently were much ado about nothing.

The meeting with representatives of the players union on Wednesday evening was not initiated by the Cleveland Browns, said lineman Hank Fraley, the team player rep. He said it was a routine update from union officials about the future of the league collective bargaining agreement and other topics.

"We have a lot of issues about the CBA. We talked about a lot of different issues," Fraley said. "Our union with (new executive director) DeMaurice Smith now in charge is trying to grow a better relationship. A lot of times (in the past), these meetings were scheduled only once or twice a year. Now there's more information available to us."

Fraley did say that "the big concern for us throughout the whole league is health and safety ... We talked about a lot of different issues."

Coach Eric Mangini's practice methods have come under scrutiny from the league and players union after two young players -- running back James Davis and lineman Keith Grennan -- suffered season-ending injuries in what Mangini calls an "opportunity period" after practice.

Also, running back Jamal Lewis complained last week that Mangini's long practices hurt the team on game days.

Mangini was cleared of any wrongdoing in a league investigation of the Davis injury. The coach has maintained he is "completely comfortable" with his practice methods.

Of course, you won't see nearly the time spent correcting the story or retracting the volumes written about it beforehand.

In the end folks, we have a coach here whom the media loves to loathe and pile onto. Consider this: Mangini's Jets blew the whistle on the Pats who are in New England. ESPN is in New England and has business interests with Robert Kraft in the Boston area. So, is it a big leap of logic to assume that ESPN's higher ups have it in for Mangini?

This week, Tom Cable waited until Wednesday (GASP!) to announce his starter. You didn't hear a single word of complaint from anyone about his "methods" or that he was "playing games". He said Wednesday and Wednesday it was. If it were EM....he'd be getting bludgeoned like a pissed-on pinata at a party full of fat kids.

Wake up people.

Of course, you won't see nearly the time spent correcting the story or retracting the volumes written about it beforehand.

In the end folks, we have a coach here whom the media loves to loathe and pile onto. Consider this: Mangini's Jets blew the whistle on the Pats who are in New England. ESPN is in New England and has business interests with Robert Kraft in the Boston area. So, is it a big leap of logic to assume that ESPN's higher ups have it in for Mangini?

This week, Tom Cable waited until Wednesday (GASP!) to announce his starter. You didn't hear a single word of complaint from anyone about his "methods" or that he was "playing games". He said Wednesday and Wednesday it was. If it were EM....he'd be getting bludgeoned like a pissed-on pinata at a party full of fat kids.

Wake up people.

That, and the fact that he used to coach in NYC, and the Jets blew their chances last year after Favre blew out his arm. Of course the ravenous NYC media attributed the blame for the Jets decline to Mangini.

Mangini IS a big freeking sourpuss....but the fact is, Bill Belichick is STILL the same big sourpuss he was here in Cleveland all those years ago. The only difference between then and now for BB is that he has been winning. If his team took a dump in the standings the way his teams did here, you would hear the howls about what a bastard BB is. (and, in reality he IS a bastard...but we will put up with a winning bastard, but not a losing bastard. And when that losing bastard coached in NYC it is all the worse)

That, and the fact that he used to coach in NYC, and the Jets blew their chances last year after Favre blew out his arm. Of course the ravenous NYC media attributed the blame for the Jets decline to Mangini.

Mangini IS a big freeking sourpuss....but the fact is, Bill Belichick is STILL the same big sourpuss he was here in Cleveland all those years ago. The only difference between then and now for BB is that he has been winning. If his team took a dump in the standings the way his teams did here, you would hear the howls about what a bastard BB is. (and, in reality he IS a bastard...but we will put up with a winning bastard, but not a losing bastard. And when that losing bastard coached in NYC it is all the worse

)

Gipper...I believe it about BB. There are people in Boston who simply despise the man. I think winning is the best deodorant.

I don't look at EM as a "doomed to fail" kind of guy. He's too smart. He's too organized and he's too hard working for that. IF he could work out his communication issues....his life would be much smoother. The guy behind the closed doors is much different than the guy at the podium. If you look at the Jets, there were media issues with Chris Baker and Laveranues Coles. He sat them down in his office. They discussed things and now they're all chummy.

HECK! When Denver was busy shipping off Cutler....Mangini was making nice with Rogers and you know what? You haven't heard "BOO" from Big Baby.

Is BB really such a bad guy? I remember seeing a candid moment on the practice field (maybe it was on an HBO show, can't recall), and Bill was joking somewhat seriously about how his player didn't really need yet another new truck. "What did you buy another truck for, exactly?" he asked. "You need a different one for each day of the week?" Something to that effect. And you could see that BB cared, and wanted the player to spend his money wisely and to think about his life as a whole. They showed several scenes like that, and I'll be honest: it was, for lack of a better word, endearing. If BB is an asshole, is he an ass to his players?

That was part of the problem with Butch Davis, as I recall. He could be really cruel to his own guys, or so I've heard. And there was no excuse for it. I don't know much about BB, but I haven't heard complaints about his being disrespectful to his players.

I hate mangini's guts but even i have to say the press is taking some real low shots at the guy...yeah he sucks and yeah many of us want to see him fired sooner as opposed to later but for legit reasons not some of the media created misconceptions...

I'll have to admit it, he took over a lazy team that was in shambles. I told myself to give him till the end of next season to see how he does. Once he gets these club Romeo guys outta here and brings in some new faces things might change. If he keeps Daboll as the OC after the end of the season im going to give up though. He needs to yank that guy and put Bernie in there or something. The way I seen him giving a run down of the plays during preseason makes me wonder, what would Bernie do?

I hate mangini's guts but even i have to say the press is taking some real low shots at the guy...yeah he sucks and yeah many of us want to see him fired sooner as opposed to later but for legit reasons not some of the media created misconceptions...

Gips....on most of your posts I can just sense the anger and frustration with Mangini but I really appreciate your being able to write a comment like this because it makes all of the debates on the board better. Well said.

Is BB really such a bad guy? I remember seeing a candid moment on the practice field (maybe it was on an HBO show, can't recall), and Bill was joking somewhat seriously about how his player didn't really need yet another new truck. "What did you buy another truck for, exactly?" he asked. "You need a different one for each day of the week?" Something to that effect. And you could see that BB cared, and wanted the player to spend his money wisely and to think about his life as a whole. They showed several scenes like that, and I'll be honest: it was, for lack of a better word, endearing. If BB is an asshole, is he an ass to his players?

That was part of the problem with Butch Davis, as I recall. He could be really cruel to his own guys, or so I've heard. And there was no excuse for it. I don't know much about BB, but I haven't heard complaints about his being disrespectful to his players.

that's called tough love.

i can think of a couple other instances of BB doing those sorta things, too.

Here's a perfect example of this BS..Talks about JD hurting his shoulder but not that the NFL found no wrong doing whatsoever..So any time a player (JLew) complains about a coach and practice its going to be a story?..Me thinks not..unless of course your Eric Mangini..Horse s**t I say

Browns have routine meeting with NFLPA

By TOM WITHERS (AP) – 20 hours ago

BEREA, Ohio — Representatives from the NFL players union met with Cleveland players, but it was not prompted by complaints about coach Eric Mangini's practices.

Offensive lineman Hank Fraley, the Browns' player representative, said Wednesday's meeting centered around a collective bargaining agreement and safety concerns.

Running back Jamal Lewis recently criticized Mangini's practices, saying they lasted up to 3 hours and were exhausting the players. Lewis' comments gained support when practice squad lineman Keith Grennan sustained a season-ending injury during one of Mangini's post-practice "opportunity periods." Earlier this season, rookie running back James Davis hurt his shoulder in post-practice sessions.

Mangini has said he's comfortable with the practice schedule.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Cleveland Browns meeting with players union was routine, says team player rep Hank Fraley

By Tony Grossi

November 19, 2009, 12:48PM

hBEREA, Ohio -- Reports of the NFL players union looking into Browns complaints about long practices apparently were much ado about nothing.

The meeting with representatives of the players union on Wednesday evening was not initiated by the Cleveland Browns, said lineman Hank Fraley, the team player rep. He said it was a routine update from union officials about the future of the league collective bargaining agreement and other topics.

"We have a lot of issues about the CBA. We talked about a lot of different issues," Fraley said. "Our union with (new executive director) DeMaurice Smith now in charge is trying to grow a better relationship. A lot of times (in the past), these meetings were scheduled only once or twice a year. Now there's more information available to us."

Fraley did say that "the big concern for us throughout the whole league is health and safety ... We talked about a lot of different issues."

Coach Eric Mangini's practice methods have come under scrutiny from the league and players union after two young players -- running back James Davis and lineman Keith Grennan -- suffered season-ending injuries in what Mangini calls an "opportunity period" after practice.

Also, running back Jamal Lewis complained last week that Mangini's long practices hurt the team on game days.

Mangini was cleared of any wrongdoing in a league investigation of the Davis injury. The coach has maintained he is "completely comfortable" with his practice methods.

I'm sorry, Mangini is not a good coach. Rebuild year or not, strong on strategy or not, the man does not inspire and he certainly has yet to earn the players respect (Coaching intangibles). I will argue to my last breath that the deluge directed at him is not simply NY hot air over his failures there, but some sportscasters/writers/former players that see that he is doing nothing to help the sad case of a franchise. That franchise while not loved by a majority of the sports world is respected for its proud history, die hard fanbase, and endless contributions to the game of modern football. And the sad state of affairs with this team is owed to a worthless owner, terrible coaching/gm legacy, and yes, poor direction currently as well.

I'm sorry, Mangini is not a good coach. Rebuild year or not, strong on strategy or not, the man does not inspire and he certainly has yet to earn the players respect (Coaching intangibles

Unless you have some proof..a quote.. morsel..you're talkin out your ass buddy

There wasn't a single flattering comment made about Belichick in the Cleveland media when he was coaching the Browns. My most frequent comment about the guy was, "I think he's a good coach." I got slammed for that opinion. People complained about all sorts of nonsense seen, unseen, imagined, and totally fabricated. I'm sure there are plenty of people who STILL don't LIKE Belichick, but there's no denying he's been a successful coach.

I'm not yet prepared to say I think Mangini's a good coach. But I've heard enough that I like to withhold a decision just yet.

I'm sorry, Mangini is not a good coach. Rebuild year or not, strong on strategy or not, the man does not inspire and he certainly has yet to earn the players respect (Coaching intangibles

So you think determining if a Coach is good is based on his ability to inspire? Its not, and what proof do you have that Mangini cant inspire? Theres defferent was to inspire and be a leader than going in at half time screaming your head off to motivate players.

You lead by example, you work your ass off showing it matters to you, you bring in guys that love to play football and are motivated to excell in anything they do because there motivated from the heart. You have leaders on the team that hold teammates accountable, players that fire the team up before, during, and after the game. Coordinators that lead there side of the ball, asst. coaches that inspire and lead there position players. If Mangini hasnt set up a system where the players, asst. coach's, and coordinators arent doing enough inspiring then I agree he failed. But its not just him that failed to inspire because you inspire as a team.

1/2 a year is not enough time to get all of what I just mentioned in place. He's bringing in players that love football, he has a few vocal leaders he brought from the Jets, Rob Ryan is a hell of a motivator, and dont no about assistants or even daboll but thats a work in process. And remember daboll wasnt Mangini's 1st or even 2nd choice as OC. Maybe daboll isnt the answer, I know shottenheimer in NY is getting alot of critizism there, . Maybe he'll be let go and will pick him up as OC, that was Mangini's first choice, then Callahan anyway. To sum this up, what im saying is its Manginis job to bring in the coaches, players, and surrounding cast that motivate each other to bust there ass everyday no matter what the circumstances because they wanna be better, there going to be better, and when they are better its because they busted there ass everyday because there competitors and its in there heart to be the best they can be

I'm sorry, Mangini is not a good coach. Rebuild year or not, strong on strategy or not, the man does not inspire and he certainly has yet to earn the players respect (Coaching intangibles).

So, by your standards of coaching, Tony Robbins would be the best coach in all the land, eh?

The product on the field speaks for itself. How many players are busting their asses for this team? Quinn played like a little bitch last week. Jamal Lewis is whining like a pansy which is not something he's been known for. Edwards is playing better for his new team(not playing well, but better than he had been) Big Baby had issues with him at the start of the season and has been relatively nquiet on the field after some big stand out plays last year.

And how the f### do you call pulling Quinn after less than three complete games anything but a confidence killer?

So, by your standards of coaching, Tony Robbins would be the best coach in all the land, eh?

No smartass, but I'm saying that the good coaches do have these abilities. Belicheck gets effort from his players because they respect his leadership and he makes them want to play hard every single down. Bill Parcels does the same thing. Bill Cowher, Vince Lombardi, Jim Tressel, Joe Paterno, Paul F'ing Brown!!!!! All these great coaches earn their players respect and motivate them, that's what a f'ing leader does, and if the HC isn't the leader, than I don't know who is. We've seen what soft feckless coaching can lead to (Romeo) and we've seen what pigheaded assholes can do too (Al Davis who while not the actual coach runs his team as if he were) So don't be so quick to discount because you want to believe in the Mangenius. There are reasons he got fired in NY and that no one else was fighting for him when Lerner was beating down his door, and nots just the NY media bias.

So you think determining if a Coach is good is based on his ability to inspire? Its not, and what proof do you have that Mangini cant inspire? Theres defferent was to inspire and be a leader than going in at half time screaming your head off to motivate players.

You lead by example, you work your ass off showing it matters to you, you bring in guys that love to play football and are motivated to excell in anything they do because there motivated from the heart. You have leaders on the team that hold teammates accountable, players that fire the team up before, during, and after the game. Coordinators that lead there side of the ball, asst. coaches that inspire and lead there position players. If Mangini hasnt set up a system where the players, asst. coach's, and coordinators arent doing enough inspiring then I agree he failed. But its not just him that failed to inspire because you inspire as a team.

1/2 a year is not enough time to get all of what I just mentioned in place. He's bringing in players that love football, he has a few vocal leaders he brought from the Jets, Rob Ryan is a hell of a motivator, and dont no about assistants or even daboll but thats a work in process. And remember daboll wasnt Mangini's 1st or even 2nd choice as OC. Maybe daboll isnt the answer, I know shottenheimer in NY is getting alot of critizism there, . Maybe he'll be let go and will pick him up as OC, that was Mangini's first choice, then Callahan anyway. To sum this up, what im saying is its Manginis job to bring in the coaches, players, and surrounding cast that motivate each other to bust there ass everyday no matter what the circumstances because they wanna be better, there going to be better, and when they are better its because they busted there ass everyday because there competitors and its in there heart to be the best they can be

I didn't say it was everything, just like having a strong arm doesn't make a franchise quarterback, but it is important. And frankly it is primarily Mangini's fault if he has failed because he essentially played GM this year too.

So don't be so quick to discount because you want to believe in the Mangenius. There are reasons he got fired in NY and that no one else was fighting for him when Lerner was beating down his door, and nots just the NY media bias.

You should take your own advice and not be so quick to judge simply because you don't want to believe in the "Mangenius". You don't know the reasons he was fired unless you actually are Mike Tannenbaum. Don't kid yourself, you know nothing more than anybody else. All it is is speculation, and that's all it will ever be, until Mike releases his biography and all the juicy information.

By the way, the name calling, that was very civilized of you, sir. I see you don't take kindly to other people's opinions. Are you sure you aren't really a closet Steelers fan?

The product on the field speaks for itself. How many players are busting their asses for this team? Quinn played like a little bitch last week.

How many quarterbacks do you know that actually try to make a tackle after they've thrown an interception? Only the "little bitch" ones, right?

Jamal Lewis is whining like a pansy which is not something he's been known for.

I guess I imagined when Jamal Lewis called out the defense and players last year after the Denver game, because he never complains, does he? Or was that also Mangini's fault, even though he was currently employed by the Jets?

Edwards is playing better for his new team(not playing well, but better than he had been)
Edwards wanted to leave long before Mangini ever came to Cleveland, so I'm not quite sure what that has to do with EM. And he now plays for a better team, with a better QB, an actual running game, and a defense that creates turnovers. And, guess what, they're still losing with him. Must not have been that great of a playmaker.

Big Baby had issues with him at the start of the season and has been relatively nquiet on the field after some big stand out plays last year.

Big Baby complained all throughout the offseason, openly asked to be traded, and then met with Mangini. Since the meeting, not one word of disquiet from his lips.

And how the f### do you call pulling Quinn after less than three complete games anything but a confidence killer?

Sure, it may have killed what little confidence he had. But it also saved the Browns $11 million, so I think that was a pretty smart decision. Benefit outweighed the cost, it's simple economics.

You just want to hate Mangini so much that your blaming things on him that can easily be blamed on anybody.

Archived