THE BROWNS BOARD

Thanksgiving

ballpeen

With the day just around the corner, I was just wondering what ya'll were having for dinner.

Being just my wife and I this year I just wanted to hit one of the restaurants for a turkey spead of some sort, but she wanted to do the home deal....which means i cook since i always cook....I like it and she doesn't.

So, went out a few minutes ago and picked up the basics....small 10 lb turkey.

This year I am going to skip the smoker and all and just go for my basic oven bird.

I like to brine mine 24 hours before hand. The brine consists of 1 gal water, 2 cups salt, 2 cans apple juice concentrate, peppercorns, 3-4 bay leaves, and a cup of Jack Daniels. After brining, pat dry, then let dry further in the fridge,,,say overnight...so start brining on Tuesday evening, take out Wed evening, and ready to go on Thursday..

Before putting in oven. a light coating of oil, salt, pepper and layer 6-8 strips thick slice bacon as the finishing touch...bake like you normally would until done.

As for the rest of the stuff....pretty much standard fare you see on Thanksgiving table all across the land.

Anything you want to share? Some of the things you mention may light a spark in someone else and end up on their table as well. The next few days is when most of us start putting it all together.

Oh....on the turkey i will just stuff it with some celery stalks, maybe a carrot or two, and some herb sprigs,,,whatever is handy....just for flavoring...it gets discarded before carving.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An important note on the brine process...add lot's of ice to the pot after you submerge the bird for placement in to the fridge ....you want the bird getting to 34 or so as fast as possible so you don't start a bacteria stew.

3-4 trays worth usually does the trick

sounds like a tasty way to cook and serve the bird....especially since grocers are practicallly giving them away at .20/lb

Well, since my kids have turkey at their dad's place, I do something different. The most recent favorite is apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.

I've also had pork tenderloin with wild rice, vegetables, biscuits and homemade hot applesauce.

The biscuits, btw, are the easiest ever and will stand up favorably to any good homemade southern biscuits: 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup of heavy cream. Blend with a fork. Flatten by hand. Cut out. Bake 9 minutes at 500 degrees. Perfect every time.

Yummy.

As always, we go to our niece & nephew's in Columbus & get together with family. Niece oven roasts a turkey, relatives make "fixings" & I deep fry one (probably 2 this year). Most of the fried turkey never makes it to the table. I was unhappy with commercial dry rubs I tried (and the expense), so I am attaching MY recipe...the rub I developed has been a big hit...keeps the "skin pickers" happy!

Here 'tis...

Ingredients

* 14-15 lb turkey (or the size your fryer calls for)

* Mike's rub:

* 1/2 cup seasoned salt

* 1 tblsp paprika (I use sweet Hungarian)

* 1 tblsp garlic powder

* 1/2 tsp lemon pepper

* 1/2 tsp lemon peel (dried in jar)

* 1/2 tsp fresh coarse ground black pepper

* 1/2 tsp onion powder

* 1/2 tsp celery seed

Directions

* rinse & dry the fully thawed turkey

* rub liberally with the spice rub 30-60 minutes before frying (inside & out)

* heat veg oil to 400 degrees "plus" & immerse bird

* adjust oil heat to maintain approx 375 degrees

* fry for 3 1/2 minutes per pound

* when done, let rest for 20 minutes, carve & serve Yield: serves 10

Notes:

It'll look burnt, but it's NOT.

* You'll have a line of "skin pickers" while you're carving....1/2 the bird MAY make it to the table.

Not bragging, but I have fried turkeys since the mid '90s & this is the rub that has garnered the most praise. Try it, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Mike

For the stuffing...I just use Stove Top....but to beef it up like Moms, I add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped celery.

I saute them for a few minutes to soften a bit....this adds some crunch to the stuffing....the added liquid is chicken broth....low sodium works since the stuffing has plenty of salt in the packet, and I add 3-4 finely chopped sausage patties...I usually have those cooked up the night before as I prepare the breakfast casserole.

Great stuffing with little effort.

Well, since my kids have turkey at their dad's place, I do something different. The most recent favorite is apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.

I've also had pork tenderloin with wild rice, vegetables, biscuits and homemade hot applesauce.

The biscuits, btw, are the easiest ever and will stand up favorably to any good homemade southern biscuits: 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup of heavy cream. Blend with a fork. Flatten by hand. Cut out. Bake 9 minutes at 500 degrees. Perfect every time.

Yummy.

I wish that you lived in Dayton, O. and we were friends, because that sounds wonderful. :}

We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

Have a good holiday.

We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

Have a good holiday.

Enjoy, sounds nice.

Have a good holiday.

Have a good holiday to you to and thank you!

Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

In the dairy section around where they have half and half or rediwhip. Look for "heavy whipping cream" in pint size containers.

Were having the whole family in, we are preparing 2 hams and a big bird along with homemade noodles and all of the fixings. I propbably wont have room for dessert.

I need to loose about 6 lbs before thursday so I can glutton myself. Forget about it I will start the diet the week after.

Im going to deep fry a frozen turkey!

I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

I was thinking the same thing. I really hate to think somebody would do this in their home. Its more than being lazy its stupidity.

I'll add my 2 gibblets worth if nobody minds.

I'll make the usual suspects, giant turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, bread basket, pies 1 pumpkin 1 deep dish pecan pie, cranberry sauce, candied yams, brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts) and my stuffing that was handed down from my great grandmother. It does not have bread. If you wanna know here it is:

2 boxes crackers--crushed

in large sauce pan, scaled a bit over 1/2 gallon milk

in small sauce pan, melt 1 stick margarine, parsley, onion powder, celery leaves and the very thin parts of the celery they're attached to and 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning

Pour milk over crackers and mix.

Add the margarine and other stuff from small pan.

Add 2 eggs.

Add a handful and 1/2 of ground veal or ground pork (not sausage).

Mix thoroughly and put in 13 by 9 pan and bake covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350.

It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

I have never shared this recipe with ANYONE. Since my Mom passed away in July of this year, and it came from her grandma, I am the only one who has it. Hope it was okay with y'all if I share it. It's great!

Have a great and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Especially those of you deep frying the turkey :o .

May we all remember to be thankful for something or someone.

Heidi

Archived