THE BROWNS BOARD

Thanksgiving

ballpeen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds delicious. No one in my house likes turkey except when it is thinly sliced breast meat from the deli for sandwiches. I am preparing a spiral sliced honey ham, a whole baking chicken with stuffing inside, stuffing, cranberry salad, mashed potatos with gravy, deviled eggs, green beans, an apple pie and a pumpkin pie. Also serving sugar free jello for those like myself who are diabetic and can not have a sugary dessert. I know it is not traditional but there is no point in making the traditional turkey meal when no one will eat much of it and we will throw out a lot of food. Hate to be wasteful. Especially in this economy.

A very Happy Thanksgiving All! May God Bless you today and always!

With the day just around the corner, I was just wondering what ya'll were having for dinner.

Being just my wife and I this year I just wanted to hit one of the restaurants for a turkey spead of some sort, but she wanted to do the home deal....which means i cook since i always cook....I like it and she doesn't.

So, went out a few minutes ago and picked up the basics....small 10 lb turkey.

This year I am going to skip the smoker and all and just go for my basic oven bird.

I like to brine mine 24 hours before hand. The brine consists of 1 gal water, 2 cups salt, 2 cans apple juice concentrate, peppercorns, 3-4 bay leaves, and a cup of Jack Daniels. After brining, pat dry, then let dry further in the fridge,,,say overnight...so start brining on Tuesday evening, take out Wed evening, and ready to go on Thursday..

Before putting in oven. a light coating of oil, salt, pepper and layer 6-8 strips thick slice bacon as the finishing touch...bake like you normally would until done.

As for the rest of the stuff....pretty much standard fare you see on Thanksgiving table all across the land.

Anything you want to share? Some of the things you mention may light a spark in someone else and end up on their table as well. The next few days is when most of us start putting it all together.

Oh....on the turkey i will just stuff it with some celery stalks, maybe a carrot or two, and some herb sprigs,,,whatever is handy....just for flavoring...it gets discarded before carving.

Sounds delicious. No one in my house likes turkey except when it is thinly sliced breast meat from the deli for sandwiches. I am preparing a spiral sliced honey ham, a whole baking chicken with stuffing inside, stuffing, cranberry salad, mashed potatos with gravy, deviled eggs, green beans, an apple pie and a pumpkin pie. Also serving sugar free jello for those like myself who are diabetic and can not have a sugary dessert. I know it is not traditional but there is no point in making the traditional turkey meal when no one will eat much of it and we will throw out a lot of food. Hate to be wasteful. Especially in this economy.

A very Happy Thanksgiving All! May God Bless you today and always!

On the contrary, it's not what kind of food you have on the table that makes it traditional, it's who you share the meal with that counts! And the sugar free Jello, nice touch. I usually do that too. My favorite way to make Jello is with whipped cream IN it which can also be sugar free :)

And folks, don't throw away leftovers, if you don't want them, take them to your nearest shelter or mission. With everything they get, they add them together and can feed more people.

Heidi

On the contrary, it's not what kind of food you have on the table that makes it traditional, it's who you share the meal with that counts! And the sugar free Jello, nice touch. I usually do that too. My favorite way to make Jello is with whipped cream IN it which can also be sugar free :)

And folks, don't throw away leftovers, if you don't want them, take them to your nearest shelter or mission. With everything they get, they add them together and can feed more people.

Heidi

Dude I eat turkey for a full week after. It's almost better then the actual meal.

After plating the usual dinners for Sunday night and picking for sandwiches, I always boil the carcass down with some veggies, then pick it clean and freeze up the stock and remains to turn in to turkey noodle soup a week or two later.

If not enough I may have to fortify with some chicken stock, but with some egg noodles and more veggies, it provides a nice soup on a late Dec. evening.

If you play things right, you can get several meals out of 1 med. turkey.

So we did the brining for the first time and everything turned out beautifully. I'll admit I'm not a big Thanksgiving food fan. It mostly seems like baby food to me: turkey, squash, mashed potatoes are pretty bland flavor-wise. For meat I prefer gamey or fatty flavorful stuff like vennison, pork or lamb. It really helped this year that we baked some flavorful root vegetables and brussel sprouts.

After plating the usual dinners for Sunday night and picking for sandwiches, I always boil the carcass down with some veggies, then pick it clean and freeze up the stock and remains to turn in to turkey noodle soup a week or two later.

If not enough I may have to fortify with some chicken stock, but with some egg noodles and more veggies, it provides a nice soup on a late Dec. evening.

If you play things right, you can get several meals out of 1 med. turkey.

Balls, you got a recipie?

• 2 weeks later...
Well, since my kids have turkey at their dad's place, I do something different. The most recent favorite is apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.

I've also had pork tenderloin with wild rice, vegetables, biscuits and homemade hot applesauce.

The biscuits, btw, are the easiest ever and will stand up favorably to any good homemade southern biscuits: 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup of heavy cream. Blend with a fork. Flatten by hand. Cut out. Bake 9 minutes at 500 degrees. Perfect every time.

Yummy.

BTW The biscuits were great. I wanted to thank you for the recipe but just now got around to it.

I'm going to try the bisquits, just didn't have time. I'll try them sometime this week !

We actually had our turkey dinner with friends from out of town Fri, turkey dinner

on Thanksgiving with other friends here at home, and Thanksgiving

here on Sund with my family - the only day they could all get together.

I would have made creamed turkey to put over the bisquits, but I don't

have a recipe, haven't looked one up yet.

Obviously, we love turkey dinners. The homemade dressing was excellent...

But, honey-baked ham is also excellent - New Years....

Archived