THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pass Interference Call.

TheClevelandSound

Listening to WMMS on the way back home, a few points came up about the end of the game potentially giving us the win.

Apparently, it is a rule that when the QB is out of the pocket, the defensive back can try to force the WR out of bounds. Therefore, if you watch the film, every angle shows that the pass interference play should not have been called.

Also, there should not have been a injury timeout given to the Detroit Lions, because they were completely out of timeouts. Therefore, a few seconds should have been run off of the playclock.

Finally, it is a rule that the player injured on the field for an injury timeout is not allowed to come on the field for the next play. Once again, Dante Culpepper should have been the QB on the one yard line during that goal line play. This is controversial in itself however because the Browns called a timeout and that could have nullified the rule.

Thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Listening to WMMS on the way back home, a few points came up about the end of the game potentially giving us the win.

Apparently, it is a rule that when the QB is out of the pocket, the defensive back can try to force the WR out of bounds. Therefore, if you watch the film, every angle shows that the pass interference play should not have been called.

It still doesn't allow him to interfere with a catch

Also, there should not have been a injury timeout given to the Detroit Lions, because they were completely out of timeouts. Therefore, a few seconds should have been run off of the playclock.

The play clock had expired anyway. The game can't end on a defensive penalty.

Finally, it is a rule that the player injured on the field for an injury timeout is not allowed to come on the field for the next play. Once again, Dante Culpepper should have been the QB on the one yard line during that goal line play. This is controversial in itself however because the Browns called a timeout and that could have nullified the rule.

You said it....we called a timeout which then allowed Stafford back on the field. Had we not called timeout, Stafford would had to sit one play before returning.

Thoughts?

I think the pass int call was on Hank Poteat - for face guarding the receiver, instead of

playing the ball.

The one time the Lions failed to get a first down on 4th down?

It was foot short.

That would have been a Steeler first down, in Pukesburg.

Certain refs don't like the Browns. I don't know why.

Thoughts?

I'm sure we'll be hearing more about the nature of the rule over the coming days... but my understanding is that if the QB is out of the pocket, while a certain amount of contact is allowed that doesn't mean that all forms of pass interference are given a green light. ... i.e. the DB can bump the WR as he would off the line... he can't force a guy out of bounds and is still obliged to play the ball... but we'll see what the NFL has to say about that.

Unless Mangini felt that a completely cold QB forced unexpectedly into the game was something that he didn't want to see under any circumstances, I still don't know why he called time out.

All I can say is, there's a reason why Belichick revoked Mangini's defensive play calling abilities when he was in New England, and I think you saw evidence of that today (it's been conveniently covered up by an astoundingly bad offense until today)

I think the pass int call was on Hank Poteat - for face guarding the receiver, instead of

playing the ball. CORRECT But never called on a Hail Mary

It was foot short. didnt see it

That would have been a Steeler first down, in Pukesburg. Dumbass bull shit comment , like Today ??when we have 8 flags for 85 yrds and KC 4 for like 25 KC held all day long without a flag

Certain refs don't like the Browns. I don't know why. certain refs just SUCK

I'm sure we'll be hearing more about the nature of the rule over the coming days... but my understanding is that if the QB is out of the pocket, while a certain amount of contact is allowed that doesn't mean that all forms of pass interference are given a green light. ... i.e. the DB can bump the WR as he would off the line... he can't force a guy out of bounds and is still obliged to play the ball... but we'll see what the NFL has to say about that.

Unless Mangini felt that a completely cold QB forced unexpectedly into the game was something that he didn't want to see under any circumstances, I still don't know why he called time out.

All I can say is, there's a reason why Belichick revoked Mangini's defensive play calling abilities when he was in New England, and I think you saw evidence of that today (it's been conveniently covered up by an astoundingly bad offense until today)

Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

Apparently, it is a rule that when the QB is out of the pocket, the defensive back can try to force the WR out of bounds. Therefore, if you watch the film, every angle shows that the pass interference play should not have been called. You just NEVER see a PI call on a Hail mary

Also, there should not have been a injury timeout given to the Detroit Lions, because they were completely out of timeouts. Therefore, a few seconds should have been run off of the playclock. doesnt apply because Game cannot end on a Defensive Penalty

Finally, it is a rule that the player injured on the field for an injury timeout is not allowed to come on the field for the next play. Once again, Dante Culpepper should have been the QB on the one yard line during that goal line play. This is controversial in itself however because the Browns called a timeout and that could have nullified the rule. Browns called Timeout so the injured player can return

Thoughts?

Those are some valid points, no doubt. However, I can't get over the sequence of events that took place with 3 minutes left in the game. The Browns have the ball and manage to get a first down. On the 3rd down conversion play, Stuckey converts but doesnt do his best to fall down in bounds... he stays on his feet and allows the defense to push him out of bounds. Stuckey, purposely trip on your own feet... slump down immediately, just don't let them push you OB. I knew the key to wrapping the game up was to keep moving the chains. The Lions use their last timeout after the1st down play, and they have only the 2-minute warning as a guaranteed stoppage of the clock. But the Browns fail to get another first down, go 3-and-out, and end up punting the ball back to the Lions?? Right there, the key to it all. You convert another 1st down, the game is yours.

Anyways, after the punt, the Lions start their drive on their own 12, with no timeouts, and 1:46 to play and proceed to make pass play after pass play and you know the rest.

Move the chains, keep the ball, and the Browns win. Totally unacceptable to punt the ball back.

"Dumbass bull shit comment , like Today ??when we have 8 flags for 85 yrds and KC 4 for like 25 KC held all day long without a flag"

Don't forget the blow to Ben's head (When he got hit in the eye) and the last thought in the ref's mind was thats an obvious penalty.

Didn't see any of the Browns game except for a few highlights, but it appears to be one hell of an exciting game. It sucks when you lose, but I doubt the refs were out to get the Browns. A few calls probably did go against you, but from my perspective of not actually seeing the game, it sounds like you defense is to blame.

"Dumbass bull shit comment , like Today ??when we have 8 flags for 85 yrds and KC 4 for like 25 KC held all day long without a flag"

Don't forget the blow to Ben's head (When he got hit in the eye) and the last thought in the ref's mind was thats an obvious penalty.

Didn't see any of the Browns game except for a few highlights, but it appears to be one hell of an exciting game. It sucks when you lose, but I doubt the refs were out to get the Browns. A few calls probably did go against you, but from my perspective of not actually seeing the game, it sounds like you defense is to blame.

i seen the end... I gotta say its just Total BS to call the PI On a Hail Mary...and thats Game set and Match. And I agree When is a Hand to the Face of a QB ignored ?? I was so pissed that they refused to Show ANY Replays ...what was that ? Like the Face mask on Carter ... I dont know if he did it because they wouldnt show it. Carter was certainly baffled. And it wasnt just that KC was Holding , it was so stinking Obvious....it was sad. The NFL needs better trained Officials and more accountability !!! But bottom line is the Steelers Failed to have the Balls to win this game... Ariens ??? A Sweep on 3rd and 2 ??? And our 4th KR TD this year ?? Wow... we dont deserve the playoffs at this point silverback ...agree ??

Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

And to be really fair, the Lions won nothing but a lower draft selection.

The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

I thought it was a Good call at 1st because Stafford looked like a Wreck when he came in. But then he looked totally healed during the play , and went back to the Injured star after the TD. I say NICE ACTING Stafford. But thats just my opinion !! It shouldnt have been P.I. to begin with , but thats Life in the NFL.

YOU got on the sideline?!?! How did you manage? Did you get a headset?! Special Olympics Day??!

No. The play was from the one yard line and he wanted to set up his defense. I am not going to blame him on that. Culpepper can fart one yard.

As for the "injury timeout", I looked it up. Apparently, a fourth time out is allowed for an injured player under two minutes as long as he leaves the field. Normally there would be a ten second runoff but the game can't end on a defensive penalty.

I'm in Iraq so i was unable to watch the game but i watched all the highlights and i cannot believe that they called that PI, it looked as if it would be offensive PI before defensive. I know all this is fighting for is a lower draft pick but i still want to win games! After watching the horseshit call, i about threw f*cking everything i could find. thanks refs, you one-sided bastards, i hope you get herpes.

-Joe

Brady Quinn Homo Fan club from the Middle East

I'm in Iraq so i was unable to watch the game but i watched all the highlights and i cannot believe that they called that PI, it looked as if it would be offensive PI before defensive. I know all this is fighting for is a lower draft pick but i still want to win games! After watching the horseshit call, i about threw f*cking everything i could find. thanks refs, you one-sided bastards, i hope you get herpes.

-Joe

Brady Quinn Homo Fan club from the Middle East

Stay safe Joe. Come home soon.

guys, the play that baffled me more than anything else was us PASSING the ball on 3rd and 5 after the 2 minute warning. If we just run the damn ball there, you're talking a minute and change for stafford to go roughly 85-90 yards. That time we gave them was HUGE.

That call was bullshit. He was face guarding but the receiver ran into him. I swear refs forget the concept that the defensive player has just as much right to be there as the offensive player.

At least our offense showed some play making. Let's just hope we actually keep throwing the damn ball deep against the bengals. I'll reserve judgment if Quinn is getting better until he puts up similar numbers against a good team. I hope he preforms though, our musical chairs of QB's has to stop for us to get better.

Just for the record, there was NO pass int by poteat, rather johnson tackled him, so if anything it should have been offensive int and game over, also, the flags came in AFTER pool had already made the pick, can someone please explain to me how the hell you can interfere with a pass after someone already caught it?!?!?

playing the ball.

It was foot short.

That would have been a Steeler first down, in Pukesburg.

Certain refs don't like the Browns. I don't know why.

beer bottles?

guys, the play that baffled me more than anything else was us PASSING the ball on 3rd and 5 after the 2 minute warning. If we just run the damn ball there, you're talking a minute and change for stafford to go roughly 85-90 yards. That time we gave them was HUGE.

That call was bullshit. He was face guarding but the receiver ran into him. I swear refs forget the concept that the defensive player has just as much right to be there as the offensive player.

At least our offense showed some play making. Let's just hope we actually keep throwing the damn ball deep against the bengals. I'll reserve judgment if Quinn is getting better until he puts up similar numbers against a good team. I hope he preforms though, our musical chairs of QB's has to stop for us to get better.

]

Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

Grades: Quinn- B

Eric Wright B

Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

]

Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

Grades: Quinn- B

Eric Wright B

Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

Hell lets all chip in for the ammo. Because I want a part of it.

Archived