THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pass Interference Call.

TheClevelandSound

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

Hey Ball I said the same thing about Culpepper. Fresh legs and the dude weighs 300 lbs. I think the Time out is a non-issue, the Pass Interference call is what we should be focusing on.

If you watch this video through until the replay from behind the Lions, the receiver is literally mauled and tackled while the ball is in the air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lV01mGcvWU

Hey Stone, he was out of bounds, without being pushed, I slowed the video down, then he was "mauled". Calling BS on your part.

Don't be hating cause you lost.

This is one of the things that simply amazes me about some of you guys, you simply can't accept that shit happens! There was absolutely PI on the play, the rules states that a game can not end on a defensive penalty. And the Browns calling timeout is what allowed Stafford to come back in.

Exactly what did the refs get wrong? Maybe they called PI on the wrong number but that means nothing.

Go Chiefs.

p.s. You are on OUR board there numb nuts. Go cry to your bitch Steeler fans about OUR etiquette.

This is one of the things that simply amazes me about some of you guys, you simply can't accept that shit happens! There was absolutely PI on the play, the rules states that a game can not end on a defensive penalty. And the Browns calling timeout is what allowed Stafford to come back in.

Exactly what did the refs get wrong? Maybe they called PI on the wrong number but that means nothing.

agreed. the rule says that you are allowed to force the the receiver out of bounds if the qb is out of the pocket AS LONG AS THE QB STILL HAS THE BALL. poteet wasn't looking at the ball (that's the biggie) and he clearly forced him out of the pocket while the ball was in the air. if he would have turned around then he clearly would have noticed that the ball was nowhere near the receiver and he didn't need to touch. poteet and the rest of the defense brady's big day.

Stone, I agree that there was DPI but 1) you never see that called on a game ending Hail Mary and 2) the DPI rules are relaxed when the QB is scrambling. It's the only way to protect the players downfield from cheap shots and decleats in the name of "run blocking".

Shit does happen....it's just blanketed a competitive game and were it not for the finish, we'd be talking about how much the offense progressed and how it was a "good win" because there was still blatant stuff to work on. People are inpatient.

agreed. the rule says that you are allowed to force the the receiver out of bounds if the qb is out of the pocket AS LONG AS THE QB STILL HAS THE BALL. poteet wasn't looking at the ball (that's the biggie) and he clearly forced him out of the pocket while the ball was in the air. if he would have turned around then he clearly would have noticed that the ball was nowhere near the receiver and he didn't need to touch. poteet and the rest of the defense brady's big day.

Oh no, Stone knows better because he's a Steeler fan.

I fully agree about DPI during a hail mary play but the guy was tackled, there has to be a line somewhere and you know damned well if the tables were reversed and the call wasn't made, you guys would be even more pissed!

You're probably right. It just sucks to lose that way. I thought that the team really played hard. I saw some new (good) things from Daboll (who I had thought was overmatched previously).

I don't know that there's a "good" way to lose but a loss like this is painful because you lose sight of the fact that the team did come to life offensively and that there was real improvement in some areas. The defense regressed today; but even though it was the Lions,....Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith are just beastly players. People here can't discriminate between a loss like this where the team and coaches did a respectable job and one where it just misfired all the way around. There's always going to be second-guessing about this call or that call but I think we're losing sight of the fact that this was arguably the best game they played all season (perhaps with the exception of the Cincy game). Funny how the coaches look better when the receivers actually catch the ball.

We pine away for "improvement" and "signs of progress" and despite this loss I would say that it was something that can be built upon. The fans will get louder with their discontent and hatred for EM but I think that's just years of frustration clouding the fact that this team needs more players who can play. The Browns don't have to be as good as the Steelers or the Ravens or the Colts or the Saints. We just want them to be better than the Browns and today was the first time that it appeared that they were to me.

YOU got on the sideline?!?! How did you manage? Did you get a headset?! Special Olympics Day??!

No. The play was from the one yard line and he wanted to set up his defense. I am not going to blame him on that. Culpepper can fart one yard.

As for the "injury timeout", I looked it up. Apparently, a fourth time out is allowed for an injured player under two minutes as long as he leaves the field. Normally there would be a ten second runoff but the game can't end on a defensive penalty.

Too bad YOU aren't the coach of the Lions. Because if you were you'd know that they had a much better chance of winning with Culpepper in than Stafford.

That's the slam dunk here. Thanks to Mangini, the Lions had a choice about who they'd have at QB for the last play.

Did they choose Culpepper, as they would have been forced to do if Mangini hadn't given them the gift of that time out?

Nope. Given the choices they decided Stafford gave them the best chance to win, and they put him back in thanks to Mangini.

And they won.

Too bad YOU aren't the coach of the Lions. Because if you were you'd know that they had a much better chance of winning with Culpepper in than Stafford.

That's the slam dunk here. Thanks to Mangini, the Lions had a choice about who they'd have at QB for the last play.

Did they choose Culpepper, as they would have been forced to do if Mangini hadn't given them the gift of that time out?

Nope. Given the choices they decided Stafford gave them the best chance to win, and they put him back in thanks to Mangini.

And they won.

Go Chiefs.

And they won.

Bullshit. Even the Lions can punch it in from the 1. You need your defense set. It's all "Mangini" with you. Give it a rest Joe.

Correct. It hurts because in 90% of the games the refs wouldn't do what the rule books say they should, and call PI.

In this case they did what they rules said they should, and it hurt the Browns.

The Lions would have a more legitimate beef if they hadn't made the call than the Browns have for the call not being made.

In a perfect world the refs follow the rules whether it's the first or last play of the game.

So what's worse. The refs ending the game with the correct call? Or the refs ending the game with the incorrect call?

I think most would agree the refs should make the correct call all the time to be fair, but I understand the frustration that players and fans have knowing that in most games the refs simply turn their heads the other way.

Dude, are you 10? You always come off as the guy who simply can't accept reality. If the Browns lose, you have to blame the refs, or the other team for cheating, or some silly ass stuff. Accept it, they lost in a freak situation.....it happens all the time.....stop whining about it and go have your Fruity Pebbles!

Typically hillbilly. If you can read, I said they shouldn't of been in that situation in the first place. So if you want to group "all us guys" into one group go ahead, it's just showing your hillbilly roots. No go eat your cousins vajayjay. Move along, move along (pat on head).

Bullshit. Even the Lions can punch it in from the 1. You need your defense set. It's all "Mangini" with you. Give it a rest Joe.

Again - without Mangini's time out, the Lions have no choice at QB.

With Mangini's time out, they had a choice.

And what did they do when they were given a choice?

They went with a QB OTHER than the one you seem to think was the right one.

The coaches of the Lions seem to strongly disagree with you. And with hindsight being 20/20 I think we'd all have to agree they made the right choice.... a choice they'd never have had, if not for Mangini's time out.

the more you look at the call, it's got to be a principle vs. actuality thing.

there was another reciever (and defender) in front of the guy that got pushed out of bounds, and the ball landed in front of them.

that was not a catchable ball for the guy that got interefered with.

oh well.

from Peter King's MMQB

"Goat of the Week

Hank Poteat, CB, Cleveland.

On Football Night in America, Rodney Harrison said when Eric Mangini was an assistant coach in New England, he would practice the Hail Mary defense for 10 minutes every Friday in practice. Certainly he's doing the same thing in Cleveland. Amazingly, with Cleveland holding a 37-31 lead and no time left on the clock in the fourth quarter, Detroit quarterback Stafford let fly with a rainbow to the end zone and Poteat tackled Calvin Johnson with the ball in the air. If Poteat had jostled Johnson, there's little chance a flag would have been thrown. But a full-scale body slam to the ground ... That has to be called. Pass interference. With the extra play, Detroit threw a touchdown pass to win it. On the goat scale, Poteat's play ranks about as high as you can go."

I question more that lackluster play calling when we had the ball with 2:00 minutes left. It's like we wanted to give the Lions the ball back. But one would think that our D would step up and not allow something like that to happen with less that 2:00 left and no time outs for the Lions.

Forget the friggin Pass Interference call, we blew the game when we decided to give the ball to JL to run it up the middle and leave us with a 3rd and long. Screw Brian Daboll for not finishing off the Lions... And did we forget we gave up a 24-3 lead... The problem with that and we were all thinking it, it's too early to get excited. 3 full quarters left to play. And so what did we do. We abandoned what got us to 24-3 and decided to crawl in our sleeping bags and take a nice nap.... We lost this game at the end of the first quarter.

Dude, are you 10? You always come off as the guy who simply can't accept reality. If the Browns lose, you have to blame the refs, or the other team for cheating, or some silly ass stuff. Accept it, they lost in a freak situation.....it happens all the time.....stop whining about it and go have your Fruity Pebbles!

Well, what seems to happen to the Browns is they've lost in more than their share of freak situations than they deserve- Dwayne Rudds helmet toss against KC after time expired, Bottlegate (I was at the game and you'll never convince me the refs didn't blow that call), the Fumble.... I could go on.

Poteat needs to be replaced with a smart football player.

That's why Mangini drafts smart football players. To replace the old dumb ones.

.... though it remains to be seen whether Mangini will be here next season to bring in the next Vernon Gholston to give the Browns the young talent it needs.

In his "prime" Poteat was a hard working, quality backup.

Hanks only problem is that he's well past his prime, and he wasn't all that good IN his prime.

Not that there's a lot of better options for the Browns... nor in the future will free agents be breaking down the door in a desire to play for Mangini.

Archived