THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pass Interference Call.

TheClevelandSound

]

Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

Grades: Quinn- B

Eric Wright B

Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

I questioned the call when it was made, in concept. But if you watch the play, it was a good play and the first down was there to be had. Mo Mass came wide open off a pick/scrape for a first down and Quinn rushed his throw and threw inaccurately.

Quinn had his best game, no doubt, but he did leave some plays on the field. Reminded me of some of the Kelly Holcomb starts . . . it would be absurd to say that they shouldn't have won with the offense performance, but a good pass on that 3rd down and the game was on ice.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I found vexing about the interference call is that it did not have anything to do with the play and that's where the refs shouldn't determine the game. From his position at the back of the end zone, Bryant Johnson would have had to come through Poteat, Calvin Johnson, Abe Elam AND Brodney Pool just to BREAK UP the interception . . . which of course, still would have meant that the Lions would lose.

That call was the definition of a bail out. Also, if Poteat was successful in pushing Johnson out of bounds after Stafford broke the pocket and before the ball was in the air, he's an ineligible receiver to boot and can only catch the ball off a tip. If he touches it first, it's a run-off penalty.

I could be wrong, Cal, but I thought Mangini brought over Poteat from the Jets.

You are right. Poteat's the most questionable of the Jet transplants. Every other one is undeniably better than the guy who he replaced that Phil Savage had in place after what? Five drafts and inheriting an ideal cap situation? Maybe you could debate Ratliff and Dorsey if you were so inclined. Even Poteat replaced Terry Cousins or Travis Daniels, so that's questionable.

Rod Hood was supposed to be the guy filling Poteat's role. Poteat wasn't expected to make the roster. No one expected Hood to be as bad as he was in camp. But he's been cut by like three teams since he was released here.

Mangini inherited the worst secondary in the NFL. I don't think anyone could intelligently debatable it wasn't in the bottom five. The free agent market was pretty bleak at the position after Samuels.

If Savage drafts Ngata instead of trading down a slot to acquire Wimbley, we have Ngata at NT and Bodden at a corner and an extra third round pick to use on a corner (or anything else) somewhere along the line. (BTW, I know Bodden was a FA, but he wasn't coming back here with a chance at going to NE. We're lucky he didn't go to the Steelers. That's where he's from. We'd have had a better chance to resign him if he'd stayed here.)

Too much house to clean in one year. We could have used more ex-Jets if you ask me.

The guy who's really F-ing up a good thing is Rex Ryan. That guy has a stacked roster from at least 3 years of competent drafting and a cap situation that allowed him to sign Leonard and Bart Scott from his old team and absorb the contract of a guy paid like a top 10 NFL receiver. Now he has to run the table just to get his team to the point it left off last season. 5-11 is looking like a pretty good possibility. Oh, and he's without a third and fifth round draft pick for next year.

The guy who's really F-ing up a good thing is Rex Ryan. That guy has a stacked roster from at least 3 years of competent drafting and a cap situation that allowed him to sign Leonard and Bart Scott from his old team and absorb the contract of a guy paid like a top 10 NFL receiver. Now he has to run the table just to get his team to the point it left off last season. 5-11 is looking like a pretty good possibility. Oh, and he's without a third and fifth round draft pick for next year.

But they're having FUN in New York, Chip. He's a player's coach, Chip. And Mark Sanchez is the next Joe Namath, Chip. Mangini made everything joyless, Chip. You're falling under my media spell, Chip. You're getting sleepy . . . sleepy . . . sleepy.

Listening to WMMS on the way back home, a few points came up about the end of the game potentially giving us the win.

Apparently, it is a rule that when the QB is out of the pocket, the defensive back can try to force the WR out of bounds. Therefore, if you watch the film, every angle shows that the pass interference play should not have been called.

Also, there should not have been a injury timeout given to the Detroit Lions, because they were completely out of timeouts. Therefore, a few seconds should have been run off of the playclock.

Finally, it is a rule that the player injured on the field for an injury timeout is not allowed to come on the field for the next play. Once again, Dante Culpepper should have been the QB on the one yard line during that goal line play. This is controversial in itself however because the Browns called a timeout and that could have nullified the rule.

Thoughts?

First time here. Thought I would respond to TS on this. The PI call was accurate and could have been called on both players actually. As disgusting a loss as this is, it pains me to say it...We lossed fair and square guys.

First the PI...Take your pick IMO but Poteat seems to be the guy. You site a rule about the QB breaking the pocket. This is correct. The defender can treat the reciever as a blocker(to an extent) and make contact with him. Forcing him out of bounds makes him an ineligible reciever and provides one less option for the scrambling QB. You are 100% right about the rule but failed to understand the events that took place.

Poteat didn't force the Lion WR out of bounds on the scramble, he did so when the ball was in the air. Once the ball is airborne the WR is OFF LIMITS...regardless if the pass came from beyond the pocket or even someone other than the QB. It was a PI regardless of his position relative to the pass. Did he get touched when the ball was in the air? Yes, PI evertime.

Regarding the inury to the QB. We called a TO which waived the requirement for him to sit a play.

I'm as disgruntled and disgusted as the rest of you. However, this doesn't give reason to blind yourself from factual events.

The real issue to question is the 3rd down call with 2 minutes left. The opponent had no TO's left. The opponent is weak up front. Our QB is hardly average. WTF do you call a pass play given those circumstances?

the more you look at the call, it's got to be a principle vs. actuality thing.

there was another reciever (and defender) in front of the guy that got pushed out of bounds, and the ball landed in front of them.

that was not a catchable ball for the guy that got interefered with.

oh well.

Regardless of his position a penalty was made. Illegal contact would have been great but again understand the circumstance first.

The ball was thrown 35+ yards with some air under it. A WR could have ran from the 30 yardline and caught that pass...So how is a guy 5 yards away not eligible? Forget him for a moment and look at Calvin Johnson. He would of had to interfere with Pool to prevent him from intercepting the pass. So why is he being tackled when Brodney begins to jump for the INT?

Bad bad play by both defenders. Pool had it dialed in yet they both had their backs to the play and made contact with the WR's. Rationalizations don't discredit facts. Watch play again.

The real issue is our moron coach not your belief in refs out to screw us.

A real coach would have never let anyone leave the field without forcing a replay from upstairs...a guy like cowher comes to mind...this isnt the first time nor is it the last time mangini will allow us to be screwed and then whine ,pout and accuse later...

A real coach would have never let anyone leave the field without forcing a replay from upstairs...a guy like cowher comes to mind...this isnt the first time nor is it the last time mangini will allow us to be screwed and then whine ,pout and accuse later...

Force a replay? Only the booth can call a replay in the last 2 mins..There is no replay on a pass interference call Gips..

Get a clue

...and a real fan would know that's not a reviewable issue.

Bottlegate was brought on by the officials reviewing a play after another play had been run. There was a completed pass (later ruled incomplete) and we spiked the ball after that play. The officials went back and reviewed and overturned the play before the spike and chaos ensued. I think the reviewed play was a 4th down.

Archived