THE BROWNS BOARD

What the hell was that?

ledzepfan1

I don't understand the play calling before the second half. We go for a fake field goal to get the first down, and then the next play we go for the field goal? If we wouldn't of converted it would of been turnover on downs. What was the point of this? At least throw a strike at the endzone after that....

I don't understand the play calling before the second half. We go for a fake field goal to get the first down, and then the next play we go for the field goal? If we wouldn't of converted it would of been turnover on downs. What was the point of this? At least throw a strike at the endzone after that....

I thought it was odd to when it first happened. THen I thought about it and maybe they saw something on a previous field goal attempt where they thought they could catch them off guard an actually score. But they didnt and with only 6 seconds left it was the right decision to kick the field goal and go into halftime with the lead

I thought it was odd to when it first happened. THen I thought about it and maybe they saw something on a previous field goal attempt where they thought they could catch them off guard an actually score. But they didnt and with only 6 seconds left it was the right decision to kick the field goal and go into halftime with the lead

yeah but the route was no where near the endzone and dawson probably wouldn't be able to throw an accurate pass that far. As it turns out we should of thrown to the endzone because if we would of gotten the touchdown we would of won in the end.

everyone seems to forget the dropped pass to Chris Jennings that would have been a TD on the play before.... and none of that fake FG stuff woulda mattered. Jennings will have nightmares tonight about that easy, gift-wrapped, perfect pass he dropped.

that should of been a TD. that was right in his hands!! perfect pass by quinn. hes gotta catch those.

I agree with nmills that this is not a risk at 1-9. My take on what happened is this:

1) They saw something that made them think they might be able to win a 1-on-1 and score

2) The Browns anticipated more time being left in which case they could throw one into the endzone after having gotten a first and still have time to trot the FG team out if it didn't happened.

Given that the season counts for nothing at this point, I was glad to see them trying a few new things in a game situation. It's not like we were risking home field advantage or a playoff spot.

I copied this from a Lion's board:

"Another unsung hero was Louis Delmas. Watch the replay of the fake field goal, which I'm sure the Browns figured was going for a TD. Delmas was the only one alert enough to recognize the possiblity and he looked over, saw Furrey alone on the sideline, and sprinted from the pack of players on the line of scrimmage over to the sideline just in time to knock him out of bounds and hold the Browns to a field goal. If that was six points, we may never have recovered."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/..._up_big_on.html

The call was a FANTASTIC one. From film study, the coaches noticed something and figured they could get an easy TD in that situation. The refs, again, did the Browns no favors. They took forever to spot the ball, giving Delma more time to figure this out. Dieken noticed it. He'll talk about it on "The Point After", I'll bet.

Good coaching, great call. Bad luck.

The one debatable thing is the use of Furrey in this and other situations where you are looking for yards after the catch. Even with Delma sniffing out the play, Furrey needs only to break one tackle and it is 6 points. And we had a TO, so he didn't need to get out of bounds on the play. Cribbs or even Stuckey would have been the better option. I really would rather see Robiskie getting time over Furrey. We know what Furrey is.

Archived