THE BROWNS BOARD

FWIW

Flugel

I know the outcome totally sucked. HOWEVER, it was nice to finally hear people saying "hey, did you see the best game of the day between the Browns & the Lions?" We got more respect for that game than we did for beating Buffalo ugly with 6-3. I'm not looking at record as much as I'm looking for promise these days. Of course we want to see WINS but before that's possible - we need to see this group of guys competing from start to finish first. It has to be on BOTH sides of the ball. We can't have just offense this week and defense next week. Doesn't work that way as the last 7-8 days have shown us.

The promise I found was FINALLY seeing an offense that found the end zone multiple times in 1 game. Be honest, who here forecasted 37 points?

I think Stuckey and MoMass show me a semblance of #2 and a #3 receiver tandem. We still need a #1 WR on this team. Cribbs looked good on the pass play he got open and scored. Our TEs showed up and played well considering. I guess I have to applaud the offensive coaching that took place between MNF football and Sunday. I saw GREAT routes being run at times, I saw max protection that allowed us to tale advantage of NO Safety help deep ending in TDs. Even better, Quinn showed people he CAN throw deep and he can throw mid-range with precision if he has time. It sure would be nice if we didn't need to burn our first pick on a QB; but we'll prolly need the rest of the season to get our answer I guess.

I disagree with bandwagon against Steinbach because I think alot of teams try to blitz our rookie center to challenge his inexperience. They like to use that delay blitz when he's committed to helping out one of the OGs and it's the one area he needs to improve on. He's improved quite a bit as the season has gone on though IMO. I thought the oline as a unit did a nice job. I thought they created some nice opportunity for our running game that Jamal couldn't always take advantage of - he takes an eternity to get to the line of scrimmage sometimes. I like #34 (Jennings) considering we got him at the NFL version of garage sale prices.

Defensively, I made the mistake of complimenting them for Monday's performance. Yesterday was pretty lame and disorganized on that side of the ball. That's the part I'm trying to forget.

Anyway, when we get in these CLOSE games decided on the final play or in OT - it tells me we're about 1 or 2 playmakers away from wining those types of games. Think about that drop Jennings had with noone standing between him and the end zone. A TD there instead of a FG certainly changes that ending right? Speaking of 1 or 2 playmakers - does anyone notice how NON-elite Pittsburgh gets when Pollyneedsahaircut is missing from the starting lineup? It changes the chess match considerably. Just ask the KC Chiefs.

- Tom F.

10 games in and against detroit with a 24-3 lead in the first quarter...close isnt good enough..i knew detroit would comeback from the 24-3 lead we had because i seen our defense collapsing and i knew daboll would go over-conservative and end up losing this game...which is exactly what happened..im sure many others could see it coming too...

A few more players isnt going to be enough..we need a HC and an OC that know how to win instead of reverting back to "play to lose" football at the worst times and throwing the offense out of rhythm...not to mention the insidiousness of going for it on 4th down only to kick a FG..absolute idiocy...

10 games in and against detroit with a 24-3 lead in the first quarter...close isnt good enough..i knew detroit would comeback from the 24-3 lead we had because i seen our defense collapsing and i knew daboll would go over-conservative and end up losing this game...which is exactly what happened..im sure many others could see it coming too...

A few more players isnt going to be enough..we need a HC and an OC that know how to win instead of reverting back to "play to lose" football at the worst times and throwing the offense out of rhythm...not to mention the insidiousness of going for it on 4th down only to kick a FG..absolute idiocy...

You clearly didn't understand that fake FG. Too much time ran off the clock. Otherwise, they would have then had time to throw once into the end zone and still get a FG if they didn't get it.

Blowing a 24-3 lead is part of being a 1-9 team. You think Detroit's offense is a bunch of scrubs? I think that the OC did a very good job yesterday and I've never complimented him before.

10 games in and against detroit with a 24-3 lead in the first quarter...close isnt good enough..i knew detroit would comeback from the 24-3 lead we had because i seen our defense collapsing and i knew daboll would go over-conservative

You're blaming the OC for being conservative for 37 points on the scoreboard Gips? Let's understand Detroit STOPPED cheating their safeties up at strike 3 and the give-me's deep stopped. That said, if you remember the pass to Jennings down the right sideline - you can't call that conservative. You can tell me the focus stunk and I'll concur but to blame that on the guy with the perfect playcall seems harsh. He catches that toss and all we see is the mismatch in coverage exploited.

Savage has more cake tied up in Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams and Kam Wimbley than than the entire front 7 of Detroit prolly gets. Therefore, when I'm watching Matt Stafford run a 10k behind the line of scrimmage before he decides to throw the freakin thing - I've got a BIGGER problem with the lame pass rush that yielded the 7 points posting the sum of 38.

There's plenty of games to blame Daboll for things but this wasn't one of them. I thought I saw the best receiving routes executed all season so I think there was some coaching going on for those of us that aren't auto-defaulting everything to fire the OC. That was about as good of a chess game game from an attack standpoint as I can envision for this group of skill players on our offense. Just being honest about the mess Savage left us.

If the rest of the season tells me we don't need to waste our first pick on another QB that might not pan out - I'm a happier camper than I was a couple weeks ago. BTW, the Jets look like they miss Mangini and Daboll. Has anyone caught their act? Leigh Bodden had more receptions (3) and TD receptions (1) from Sanchez than Braylon's Edwards and he played for the opponent. Winslow's team lost again too.

- Tom F.

You're blaming the OC for being conservative for 37 points on the scoreboard Gips? Let's understand Detroit STOPPED cheating their safeties up at strike 3 and the give-me's deep stopped. That said, if you remember the pass to Jennings down the right sideline - you can't call that conservative. You can tell me the focus stunk and I'll concur but to blame that on the guy with the perfect playcall seems harsh. He catches that toss and all we see is the mismatch in coverage exploited.

Savage has more cake tied up in Shaun Rogers, Corey Williams and Kam Wimbley than than the entire front 7 of Detroit prolly gets. Therefore, when I'm watching Matt Stafford run a 10k behind the line of scrimmage before he decides to throw the freakin thing - I've got a BIGGER problem with the lame pass rush that yielded the 7 points posting the sum of 38.

There's plenty of games to blame Daboll for things but this wasn't one of them. I thought I saw the best receiving routes executed all season so I think there was some coaching going on for those of us that aren't auto-defaulting everything to fire the OC. That was about as good of a chess game game from an attack standpoint as I can envision for this group of skill players on our offense. Just being honest about the mess Savage left us.

If the rest of the season tells me we don't need to waste our first pick on another QB that might not pan out - I'm a happier camper than I was a couple weeks ago. BTW, the Jets look like they miss Mangini and Daboll. Has anyone caught their act? Leigh Bodden had more receptions (3) and TD receptions (1) from Sanchez than Braylon's Edwards and he played for the opponent. Winslow's team lost again too.

- Tom F.

Tom, the Jets are an extremely undisciplined bunch whose owner wanted the players to "have more fun" and canned the coach who gave him two winning seasons out of three. They all need a kick in the ass.

I agree 100% on Daboll. You can bitch about games 1-9 but yesterday was awesome. Even the direct snap on the two-point conversion was a nice wrinkle.

Some people around here are fixated on the "Mangini/Daboll can do no right" line of thought. Kind of like a broken record.

Tom, the Jets are an extremely undisciplined bunch whose owner wanted the players to "have more fun" and canned the coach who gave him two winning seasons out of three. They all need a kick in the ass.

I agree 100% on Daboll. You can bitch about games 1-9 but yesterday was awesome. Even the direct snap on the two-point conversion was a nice wrinkle.

Some people around here are fixated on the "Mangini/Daboll can do no right" line of thought. Kind of like a broken record.

I agree with everything here, though I would say Daboll was already making a lot more sense on MNF, even if the results weren't there yet. Take away the turnovers, and I think the offense would have gotten in a rhythm. The short pass plays were a good idea, given our porous line and the need to give Brady some confidence. The plan was nice; the execution just was just too rough, as you would expect with a shift to a new quarterback.

I agree with everything here, though I would say Daboll was already making a lot more sense on MNF, even if the results weren't there yet. Take away the turnovers, and I think the offense would have gotten in a rhythm. The short pass plays were a good idea, given our porous line and the need to give Brady some confidence. The plan was nice; the execution just was just too rough, as you would expect with a shift to a new quarterback.

Professor, all of us who are reasonable understand it's not simply the "playcalling" although at times it's been a little less than stellar. Take the Cincy game for instance; In my mind, that game was about ONE play. It was the Jerome Harrison fumble that got returned.

Every NFL game (and this is only my opinion) comes down to 3-5 critical plays. Take MNF, for instance....a two-minute lapse resulted in a 16-0 lead. I am not trying to excuse the inexcusable. I am just trying to point out that you make a good point for the execution being blamed on the play-calling and vica versa. It's not that simple. Players get paid to perform fundamentals flawlessly. Is any amount of coaching going to get Braylon Edwards to hold on to the ball in yesterday's critical third down slant that hit him in the hands? The playcalling must've followed him to NY.

Seriously. The MNF game can look like a blow-out, but it was really about those 2 mins you mentioned. Once we fell significantly behind, there was no hope. And the Cinci and Detroit games were just one play away from a victory. With more luck we would be 4-6 at this point-- closer to what I expected at this point.

Archived