THE BROWNS BOARD

Why all the hate for B-Mac

Roy.E.Munson

I notice alot of hate for Brandon McDonald?

I happen to think that his problems seem to start with coaching!

He is still the player we love that makes good plays! SO what with this shit?

We are all very wuick to let players like Wimbley or Poole off the hook with these slump excuses... but after maybe two bad games we are willing to bench a guy that I thought looked like our future...

This is a Big mistake... give the young guy a chance to battle back... Coach him up!

bench him now and his confedence will be shot!

I notice alot of hate for Brandon McDonald?

I happen to think that his problems seem to start with coaching!

He is still the player we love that makes good plays! SO what with this shit?

We are all very wuick to let players like Wimbley or Poole off the hook with these slump excuses... but after maybe two bad games we are willing to bench a guy that I thought looked like our future...

This is a Big mistake... give the young guy a chance to battle back... Coach him up!

bench him now and his confedence will be shot!

I think he's pretty darn good...had a bad week but I think he should be our starting nickleback....I like the Daniels he's alot taller....get cousins out of town.

Because he dropped a couple of possible picks, didn't get the help he requested and got beat for a long TD, and he can't cover people for 6-7 seconds because the Dline/rusher can't apply any pressure.

People would be well served to turn their attention to the crappy linebackers we have...notably Kam Wimpy......but hey...what do I know??

Guest Masters

BMac isn't a liability really. He had two bad weeks, and not all was truly his fault.

Peen you are right, the LBs are who first need to be called out on this D. Though on Kam, I have been hard on him lately, but the following:

"Wimbley admits he can play better. He went four games without a sack before he dumped Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler for a 6-yard loss. He has two this season. He had 11 as a rookie and five last year.

Wimbley's job does not begin and end with sacks, but he has become frustrated. He is fourth with 42 tackles. He has only two quarterback pressures.

The Browns had the 12th pick in the 2006 draft. The Ravens picked 13th. The Browns wanted the pass rusher and the Ravens wanted the run stopper, so Phil Savage agreed to swap picks with his good buddy, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome. Newsome took Ngata 12th and the Browns took Wimbley with the next pick.

The Browns got the Ravens' sixth-round pick in the trade and used it on nose tackle Babatunde Oshinowo. Oshinowo lasted one season with the Browns and is now out of football.

At first, Wimbley was the better player statistically. He had 11 sacks and 67 tackles as a rookie. Ngata, 6-4, 345 pounds, had 51 tackles and one sack. Last year, Ngata was dominant with 94 tackles and four sacks. Wimbley dropped to 65 tackles and five sacks.

"I'm starving for a big play somewhere -- a sack or an interception," Wimbley said. "I look at the sacks like everybody else and say, 'Man, two sacks, what's going on?' At this point I'd like to have more, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I had 10 tackles in the Redskins game, but no sacks.

"I'm still hungry. I can't be discouraged. I know they'll come. I believe I have been getting effective pressure. In the New York game, I hit Eli Manning and he threw an interception."

Head coach Romeo Crennel and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker are constantly put in the position of saying the statistics do not reflect how well Wimbley is playing.

Rookie Alex Hall has three sacks, but only 19 tackles. Willie McGinest has 32 tackles, no sacks and seven quarterback pressures. Crennel said starting Monday in Buffalo, Wimbley might be moved around so offenses will have more difficulty blocking him.

"Kamerion brings a lot to the table," Tucker said. "He's doing a lot for us and maybe the numbers haven't shown that so far, but I do feel good about the direction he's going.

"He's done a good job against the run. He's very consistent versus the pass. They've slid the line to him and they've done a good job of chipping with the back to his side. I think Kamerion is going to make his fair share of plays before the end of the day."

Wimbley is more concerned about team success than his own. To that end, he plays in the team concept instead of running around trying to improve his own stats.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/CLE/11101807

mcdonald needs pressure to help him. no one can cover for 7 seconds. the 93-yard TD was blown coverage all around. sean jones is just as culpable as 22 for that one. i think it's actually quite the opposite of hate that people have for mcdonald right now; we're blaming the coaches for putting him in a position to fail rather than to succeed. yes, we were initially mad when he gave up that TD, but he needs to know that it's his job to drag a receiver down if he's going to get torched and not to try and make a play on the ball instead of making the tackle. we don't know whether he's had that drilled into his head enough, but from the way he played, it doesn't seem so.

@ masters: it's great that wimbley's not bitching about his stats. it shows that he's a team guy, and that's something every team needs. it's funny, though, that he would be helping the team more if his stats were better. i think moving him around will help a great deal in achieving that goal.

B-Mac is a ballhawk to be effective he needs support and with cousins,jones and adams frolicking everywhere but where they should be he is often left on his own i think we will see a more coverage oriented bmac next week..

The fact our defensive coordinator sucks far worse than grantham in the sense that we do have the ability to pressure but tuck would rather give the game away then to sellout to an all out blitz when we have the lead or desprately need a stop...

Masters....just a mention on Kams sack last week...nobody blocked him.

I agree....its a sack...sort of like Chump Thompson sacks...he got his when plays broke down and Chump happened to run someone down or they ran in to him..a qb run for a loss is a sack.

I want to see Wimp actually rush the passer...beat his blocker and get some real sacks...I could probably get a sack if nobody blocked me.

B Mac is above average, but even the best corners are going to get toasted when you give a qb all day.

I'd put less on the secondary and more on the coaching staff for rushing 3 and dropping 8.

I agree.....and when Wimp is one of the rushers, you might as well call it 2 rushing the qb.

Guest Masters
Masters....just a mention on Kams sack last week...nobody blocked him.

I agree....its a sack...sort of like Chump Thompson sacks...he got his when plays broke down and Chump happened to run someone down or they ran in to him..a qb run for a loss is a sack.

I want to see Wimp actually rush the passer...beat his blocker and get some real sacks...I could probably get a sack if nobody blocked me.

Oh I know. The article does leave that out.

We have talked about this before, but I think the first issue with Kam is the coaching/scheme. Guys don't get 11 sacks their rookie year and go into the tank for no reason. If he got fat and out of shape, I'd get it. But that doesn't seem to be the case. So either the dude can't learn or has no heart, or the coaching blows.

The other key in that article, which I have at least seen in games is "They've slid the line to him and they've done a good job of chipping with the back to his side." So why the frak is the D coordinator or HC not countering this with schemes to free up Kam, or take advantage of that double team or chip with pressure elsewhere?

Archived