THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday on Tuesday

The Gipper

Sorry folks, I was busy yesterday and didn't get my weekly survey out. Here you go:

1. OK, if Mangini were to be "deleted" as coach of the Browns after this one season who would YOU want to see replace him?

2. OK, it appears that Charlie Weis is likely to be "aufed" (a Heidi Klum term) as coach of Notre Dame. Who would you replace him with?

3. What is your favorite Steakhouse?

4. For the first time in like a year, I actually saw a guy wearing a Pittsburg Pirates hat this morning. Why is it, you think, that so many people around here are seen wearing "Steeler" gear, yet so few that wear "Pirates" gear....given that both teams are from the same town?

5. Are you part of an online "social network", Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, LinkIn, whatever?

Sorry folks, I was busy yesterday and didn't get my weekly survey out. Here you go:

And I will answer my own survey

1. OK, if Mangini were to be "deleted" as coach of the Browns after this one season who would YOU want to see replace him?

Obviously, the guy that is to be the new "football czar" would have that choice, but if it were up to me I do think Bill Cowher would be a good fit here....given that he understands the town from playing and coaching here, and given that he certainly understands the opposition and what it means to compete in the AFC North. Plus, Cowher is still young really. Only 53. In fact, why not make HIM the "Czar"? (perhaps he had no hand in talent evaluation for the Steelers? After all, he is a guy who thought Bubby Brister and Kordell Stewart could play QB)

2. OK, it appears that Charlie Weis is likely to be "aufed" (a Heidi Klum term) as coach of Notre Dame. Who would you replace him with?

Personally, I would like to see Urban Meyer leave Fla. for ND, but given the football factory and talent available down there in Florida (and the complete lack of the same kind of academic standards he would face at ND) he is unlikely to leave. Thus, I think a good choice would be Brian Kelly, now at Cincinnati.

Locally, The Diamond Grill on Market St. in Akron (fyi a former....and perhaps still Mafia front). Mafia or not, it has great steaks. But the best steak I ever had in my life was at a place called The Texas Club in Ruidoso, New Mexico. Fabulous!

4. For the first time in like a year, I actually saw a guy wearing a Pittsburg Pirates hat this morning. Why is it, you think, that so many people around here are seen wearing "Steeler" gear, yet so few that wear "Pirates" gear....given that both teams are from the same town?

It is simple obviously, the Steeler gear wearers are FRAKs (FrontRunnerAssKissers), and if the Steelers had a few losing years like the Pirates (it wouldn't take 17...only 3-4) Steeler gear would be as rare as Pirate gear.

5. Are you part of an online "social network", Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, LinkIn, whatever?

I am on Facebook because my daughter set me up, and now I mainly use it just to keep up with old schoolmates.

Marty.

Jim Harbaugh

Andre's Steak House, Naples, Florida

Pittsburgh people have very low self-esteem and tend to carry low IQ levels as well. Since the Pirates' glory years are behind them, Pittsburgh people tend not to wear their garb because they already feel like losers in everyday life and wearing the garb of a team that is currently unsuccessful perpetuates that uneasy feeling that they are not good enough. By wearing the garb of a team that has had more recent success (Steelers) they can mask their insecurities and bury their self-loathing beneath the surface, while their low intelligence keeps them from figuring out that by not addressing their shortcomings, they are only making them worse.

Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo ... I signed up for twitter, but don't use it because the name "twitter' is just too gay. MySpace gives me a headache, I must be too old for it.

You can add me on the other three sites at johnmeehan401@yahoo.com

Zombo

Jon Gruden with Holmgren as GM

Jim Harbaugh or the dude from University of Cincinatti.

Ruths Chris or Hugo's Cellar in Las Vegas.

Steelers fans are front runners and the Pirates suck.

Nope...I think i have a facebook account but I don't know what the log in or password is anymore. I'm not that interesting that I need to keep people updated on my life.

Cowher

Mangini

Steakhouse 10, Englewood, CO

Front Runners, I've proved this many times. I wear my Tribe hat often.

All of them. LinkedIn sucks balls. The rest of them are good for businesses.

Whomever the new czar or GM deems worthy as long as they themselves are a trustworthy choice that is..

harbaugh seems the likely choice.

I have not met a quality steak i dont like yet rather it be on my own backyard grill or ponderosa but pats steakhouse is by far my favorite, great atmosphere..

5 years like we have had and stooler gear would vanish and homicide in steeltown would triple...

5. Are you part of an online "social network", Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, LinkIn, whatever? No..

Bill Cowher. Hands down.

Urban Meyer

Wasabi Steakhouse...Asian Style

The interest in Pittsburgh has always fallen significantly more on football than it has on baseball. However, Pittsburgh still has their share of fairweather fans that refuse to support losing teams.

Yep. I use facebook as my social website. I use Myspace for my business only.

Not sure to be honest

Bozo the Clown

Gibsons in Chicago

For a national chain, Ruth Chris

Bandwagon

no

1 and 2 I don't have a choice.

3. I can't remember the last time I had a steak. My son and his wife lived with me for several months. He only eats poultry and fish so I got in that habit. I'm not against eating steaks but I got out of the habit.

4. Pittsburgh's not much of a baseball town?

5. Yes, but I really limit the people I 'friend.' I follow my family and a few close friends and their kids. (But I'm enjoying Yoville, Farmville, and Mafia Wars so if you'll be my neighbor or join my mob, I might make an exception.)

Tony Dungy or Cowher.

Urban Meyer so I wouldn't have to deal with him anymore.

Texas Roadhouse

There are more bandwagon steelers fans

5. Are you part of an online "social network", Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, LinkIn, whatever

I'm on twitter, myspace, and facebook. If you want to send me a friend request ask.

Ballpeen: Gibson's in Chicago IS outstanding. I ate there about 20 years ago. Great call....it was not quite as good as The Texas Club, but it is a mighty fine steakhouse.

Pat and i like going to Chicago just for the heck of it, and Gibsons is always a prime stop...I will order a huge ribeye on the rib and she orders one of those lobster tails tie size of a loaf of bread and we just split it up and go to town.

Peter Lugers in NYC and Berns in Tampa are close seconds.

Bud Grant

Jaws

Peter Luger Steakhouse-----Big Apple

Same reason you don't see people wear Reds hats...the shame is unbearable

Facebook

Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo ... I signed up for twitter, but don't use it because the name "twitter' is just too gay. MySpace gives me a headache, I must be too old for it.

You can add me on the other three sites at johnmeehan401@yahoo.com

Zombo

You can add me at meehanjackmeeoff69@hotmail.com

Gruden, with Holmgren as GM. Marty ain't interested.

Eric Mangini, or Brian Dabol

Which city? Hometown Dayton it's the Pine Club, hands down. Nationally, give me Bern's in Tampa (great steaks, and the Mecca of winedom, the wine list looks like a telephone book) Joe & Moe's in DC, Angus Barn in Durham, NC, Hereford House in KC- phooey on the national chains. Ruth Chris' underwhelmed me, and Mortons is overpriced. FWIW, you Cleveburgers can get real live Morton's steaks to grill out- just take a hike over to Pat O'Brien's wine shop on the East side and head back to the deli- they're not marked as such, but they are what they are.

EDIT: dang, how could I leave out St. Elmo's in Indianapolis.

Frontrunners- the Penguins didn't exist either, until they started winning.

No, and hell no.

Hoorta, I agree with you on the chains, though I have heard good things about Fleming's, though I have never been there. And it appears that you have obviously been around the block when it comes to steakhouses.

My choice for the Texas Club in Ruidoso NM comes from the fact that it was my brother who took me there, and this is a guy who is the foreman of a 40,000 head cattle ranch, so the man ought to know his steak you would think. Leave it to him to find the best out of the way place.

Hoorta, I agree with you on the chains, though I have heard good things about Fleming's, though I have never been there. And it appears that you have obviously been around the block when it comes to steakhouses.

My choice for the Texas Club in Ruidoso NM comes from the fact that it was my brother who took me there, and this is a guy who is the foreman of a 40,000 head cattle ranch, so the man ought to know his steak you would think. Leave it to him to find the best out of the way place.

Well, when it comes to steaks, when I visit a new city, like the Blues Brothers, I'm on a Mission from God to find the best steakhouse in town. And I totally agree with you out West, some of the best beef never leaves the vicinity.

We just got a Fleming's in town, and the reports are it's good but pricey. For what a dinner for one would cost at Fleming's (no drinks) I can truck over to the Pine Club and pick up four pounds of dry aged strips, and take 'em home for a real nice dinner.

The one missing link in my quest is a visit to Peter Lugers in New York City. Almost always get the top award for steak- but I haven't been to NY in almost 30 years, and I have no great desire to go back.

Good beef can be had in any region. If you bring it in, you can cook it...and many places bring in prime beef....heck, Chicago and Kansas City process more beef than anywhere.

Take Berns as an example....they get great beef and age it in their coolers. To me the house is what makes a great steakhouse. Berns seems more like a bordello than a restaurant, and the wine cellar has to knock it up a notch or three. As you said, the wine list is as extensive as any i have ever seen. When top wine producers run out of a various production lot, Berns is a place they call to see if they can pick up a case or two just so they can put some back in the company stock.

It's amazing the amount of wine they hold. Thousands and thousands of cases.

All top quality.

An offensive-minded coach, like Bob Stoops.If we had to go defensive-minded, like the last umpteen coaches we've hired, I'd go with Buddy Ryan

Rocket Ismail

Johnny Qs -- used to be Jim's Steakhouse at the bottom of Scranton. Rd. hill, but it's closed down.

America used to root for the underdog, but not anymore; most Americans have been poisoned to only root for "winners."

No

Gruden

Personally I would like the next coach at ND to be even worse than Weis to the point that NBC or any other network refuses to give them an exclusive contract and they end of up joining the Big Ten because of it. Notre Dame in the Big Ten makes too much sense for a number of reasons so it will probably never happen.

I'm so picky about my steaks that I'm usually disappointed, prefer to marinate and grill out in the back yard over anything.

I can't remember the last time I saw a Pirates hat or gear but I saw at least three Steelers shirts or car emblems just today and I live in Florida, BANDWAGONERS ALL OF THEM!

I'm in Facebook to keep in touch with old friends and family from Ohio and military members I've served with. I have a Linked'n or whatever you call it account but I don't use it.

Archived