THE BROWNS BOARD

The Un-Randy

Chicopee John

Randy Lerner has been in a coma his entire life but people believe he has been awake the whole time.

Man 'Trapped in Coma' for 23 Years Was Awake Whole Time

Monday, November 23, 2009

An engineering student thought to be in a coma for 23 years was actually conscious the whole time, it has emerged.

Rom Houben was misdiagnosed as being in a vegetative state after a car crash left him totally paralyzed.

But, in actuality, he was trapped in his own body the whole time with no way of letting friends and family know he could hear every word they were saying.

The 46-year-old, who can now tap out computerized messages and read books on a device above his hospital bed, has revealed: "I screamed, but there was nothing to hear.

"All that time I literally dreamed of a better life. Frustration is too small a word to describe what I felt," he said. "I shall never forget the day when they discovered what was truly wrong with me — it was my second birth. I want to read, talk with my friends via the computer and enjoy life now people know I am not dead."

His misdiagnosis was discovered by neurological expert, Dr. Steven Laureys, who fears there may be similar cases all over the world.

He looked at Houben's case again at the University of Liege, Belgium, using state-of-the-art imaging that showed the patient was aware of what was happening around him even though he had lost control of his body.

Laureys, who leads the Coma Science Group, was unavailable for comment when contacted by Sky News Online.

He told the Daily Telegraph: "In Germany alone each year some 100,000 people suffer from severe traumatic brain injury.

"About 20,000 are followed by a coma of three weeks or longer. Some of them die, others regain health," he continued. But an estimated 3,000 to 5,000 people a year, remain trapped in an intermediate stage: they go on living without ever come back again."

That poor guy. I couldn't imagine. 23 years of his life have been wasted. He needs a large sum of money going his way. And lots of ladies. He probably doesn't even know how to use it anymore ;)

But in all seriousness. He needs compensation. Im not one to ever say that, but that is a horrible thing.

I feel for that guy,hearing everything but unable to respond...

Randy has made people believe he is awake but in fact he was born in a coma..its only after he hires people to run his team with a flittering eye for a yes and they get by with repeatedly screwing him and his fans does anyone question rather he is actually awake....;)

Archived