THE BROWNS BOARD

A Couple of thoughts on the draft and FA

Roy.E.Munson

Draft: Why drat a CB? I say a stud MLB woiuld be just what this week rush defence need.

Luarenitis?

REY REY? it doesn't matter to me! just do it and hit on this pick because we need it!

FA: Now adress the DB problem if you can call it that!

REMEMBER... we have some great young guys that just need a few seasons to develop!

Mike Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers

AT SAFTEY

Brian Dawkins, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

Lets just not replace a 2nd year CB with a rookie CB!

And dont get a "Terry Cousins" esc verteran!

If we can't get Rey M....I go straight to the safety behind him...I believe it's smith...230 6'3 runs 4.4 and brings a linebacker attitude to the defense. Just like Baseball it starts up the middle....Center,Qb and RB....Nt, MLB and safety! Just really not sold on either Pool or Jones...as much as they are hyped. I just want a Don Rogers/eric turner presence at safety. REY is my very first choice....hands down!

Taylor Mays isn't it? the USC FS. Yea, he's big and fast but personally, I like both Jones and Brodney. The question I suppose with Jones is his health. He's looking a little ragged right now, but given the rest of the year, we'll have to see how he improves. When healthy, he's arguably one of the top safeties in the NFL. Safety is kind of a tough spot to burn a top 10 pick at.

Need to look at LBs, another RB, and RT, in my opinion.

Our young DBs would be helped out alot if we brought more pressure...

we need a pass rush more than anything else. if we're going to overspend for a player like we would have to do to get scrabble, it's a better idea to go after suggs. we'd be taking away a very potent weapon from a hated division rival and upgrading our defense at the same time. having an actual pass rush would do wonders for our corners.

in the draft, taylor mays is the kind of player that makes a difference, the kind of player that offensive coaches have to scheme to stop. think troy polamalu except with better ball skills. the kid's a monster. yes, it is hard to burn a top-10 pick on a safety, but you have to look at it more as spending that pick on a difference-maker. it shouldn't matter what position the kid plays. with the difference this kid can make, it's better to have him than to not. if we have the opportunity to draft a player who can change games, why would we discount him just because of the position he plays? mays is strong enough that we could creatively use him as a S/LB hybrid at times if we'd want to.

if we're going LB, i've been watching maualuga play all year (i live on the west coast). dude's an animal. fast, strong, nose for the ball, everything you want in an MLB. however, let's not forget that LB is the third-easiest position to find impact players in during the later rounds of the draft (the easiest being G and the second being RB).

Taylor Mays isn't it? the USC FS. Yea, he's big and fast but personally, I like both Jones and Brodney. The question I suppose with Jones is his health. He's looking a little ragged right now, but given the rest of the year, we'll have to see how he improves. When healthy, he's arguably one of the top safeties in the NFL. Safety is kind of a tough spot to burn a top 10 pick at.

Need to look at LBs, another RB, and RT, in my opinion.

Our young DBs would be helped out alot if we brought more pressure...

Yes you are correct Mays... I see it differently in regards to safety position. As stated I'm not sold on Jones and pool....while good...I want elite. To me a dominant safety is Key to stout D...ala Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Reed, and even Harrison. Don't get me wrong...Jones and pool are good to OK....I want a Stud at safety. Middle Linebacker is #1 priority on this team imo. Look at what Donte whitner has done for the Bills. Any way Running back also high up there but unless an AP is in the draft I wait till later rounds. Would absolutely love it if Savage made a go at Brandon Jacobs in the offseason.

Yes you are correct Mays... I see it differently in regards to safety position. As stated I'm not sold on Jones and pool....while good...I want elite. To me a dominant safety is Key to stout D...ala Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Reed, and even Harrison. Don't get me wrong...Jones and pool are good to OK....I want a Stud at safety. Middle Linebacker is #1 priority on this team imo. Look at what Donte whitner has done for the Bills. Any way Running back also high up there but unless an AP is in the draft I wait till later rounds. Would absolutely love it if Savage made a go at Brandon Jacobs in the offseason.

Jacobs is going to want 5mil+ a year... aint gonna happen.

Draft: Why drat a CB? I say a stud MLB woiuld be just what this week rush defence need.

Luarenitis?

REY REY? it doesn't matter to me! just do it and hit on this pick because we need it!

FA: Now adress the DB problem if you can call it that!

REMEMBER... we have some great young guys that just need a few seasons to develop!

Mike Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers

AT SAFTEY

Brian Dawkins, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

Lets just not replace a 2nd year CB with a rookie CB!

And dont get a "Terry Cousins" esc verteran!

I dig Jacobs, but enough already with the free agents.

How about Savage finds us a Jacobs in the f-ing draft???

I agree but he's a Beast and top 5 runner in the game and probably most worried about. I'd love to throw him out there against Pitt twice a year! He packs more of a punch than mack used to!

i think the giants won't let him get that far. he's a very valuable piece of their offense and the kind of player that doesn't come around often. few people can break tackles like he can while still having his agility. he's a bit like shaun rogers that way: their agility and strength are rarely seen in the same package. for a bruising runner, jacobs has great feet.

I agree but he's a Beast and top 5 runner in the game and probably most worried about. I'd love to throw him out there against Pitt twice a year! He packs more of a punch than mack used to!

Again, I'm not saying he isn't a very good back. His is an injury risk, though, so I wouldn't make that 5M/year investment in him (if that's what he'll command).

What I am saying is "hey Phil, let's use the middle rounds of draft like, well, the Giants did to acquire players like Jacobs. And Osi. And Strahan."

i think the giants won't let him get that far. he's a very valuable piece of their offense and the kind of player that doesn't come around often. few people can break tackles like he can while still having his agility. he's a bit like shaun rogers that way: their agility and strength are rarely seen in the same package. for a bruising runner, jacobs has great feet.

Oye foggetaboutit! that's my jewdago statement of the week

I think Lauranitis is good BUT sometimes I wonder if he isn't just a wee bit overrated. Good kid, LOVES football, great genetics, hustles BUT I've never once said "WOW!"

On the other hand, Rey Maluawhatever - I must have said "WOW" at least 4 times the very first time I caught his act. He's a stud.

And I'll be very glad to get Davon Holly back in our mix at corner once he's healthy.

Again, I'm not saying he isn't a very good back. His is an injury risk, though, so I wouldn't make that 5M/year investment in him (if that's what he'll command).

What I am saying is "hey Phil, let's use the middle rounds of draft like, well, the Giants did to acquire players like Jacobs. And Osi. And Strahan."

I think every player is an injury risk....a game like football is an accident waiting to happen. anywhere anytime....While I do not think we would get him....I would buy a Brandon Jacobs jersey....it would be my first.... been holding out for 40 years. If we get Rey...I'd get that one for sure...he is a no-brainer.

I think Lauranitis is good BUT sometimes I wonder if he isn't just a wee bit overrated. Good kid, LOVES football, great genetics, hustles BUT I've never once said "WOW!"

On the other hand, Rey Maluawhatever - I must have said "WOW" at least 4 times the very first time I caught his act. He's a stud.

And I'll be very glad to get Davon Holly back in our mix at corner once he's healthy.

agree 1000%

I think every player is an injury risk....a game like football is an accident waiting to happen. anywhere anytime....

So, saying that, you think Donte Stallworth and Hines Ward carry the same injury risk? Please.

Guest Masters
So, saying that, you think Donte Stallworth and Hines Ward carry the same injury risk? Please.

Well, over the last 3 years, Ward has missed as much time as Stallworth

Guest Masters
Fine. How about Stallworth and Jerry Rice?

All I'm saying is that some guys are bigger risks than others. Jacobs has a history.

Oh some do. But Stallworths wasn't really that big. Jacobs, being relatively new in the league, with the number of injuries certain is. Just like Parker in PIT.

maybe the browns need to CLEAN HOUSE!

replace dropsie Edwards with either boldin or Fitzgerald, or whoever the hell compares to braylon, but with better damn hands!

get cowher's ass in here immediately!!!

fire the fatass and his Mate!

fire DA up savage's ass!

fire half of that quittin' ass defense for an actual goddam defense!

clean house on that shitty receiver core!

clean house at the secondary, except for sean jones, eric wright, and any of the front seven!(except for Andra Davis, and anyone there who is shiity)

bring in a good backup qb

give harrison more playing time!

and simply put, DRAFT SOME FUCKING TALENT!

and clean house with that shitty ass front office!

Ha ha ha ha haa...keep Andra Davis....He the number 1 guy to get rid of and pronto!!! He blows~!

I'm not saying Taylor Mays isn't a hell of a player. I guess it's just my opinion that we don't NEED him, like we need other positions. If you give me the choice between him and Chris Wells, I'd probably take Mays though. I don't see that attitude in Wells that I think it takes to be dominant in the NFL, especially for his style.

Rey would be #1 on my draft board, without question. If/When we get a new coach, and if he wants to run a 4-3, we've got alot of issues in my opinion. for a 4-3, we've got a load of DTs and thats about it.

And I always thought Free Agency was supposed to supplement your drafting and development of players, not to fix your problems.

...and yet another reason to stick with the 3-4 (aside from the fact that it's a superior scheme when correctly implemented): switching to the 4-3 would mean we no longer have anywhere near the right personnel. wimbley and mcginest played DE in college, but we'd have to hold on to willie for another year and i also believe there's no way wimbley could hold the point of attack against tackles.

in addition, rogers is flourishing in the 3-4. being a NT over the center is what he was born to be. changing schemes would totally negate his progress and turn him back into the underperformer he was in detroit.

and, yes, we don't need mays like we need players at other positions, i just think that he has the most potential of any player at any position in this draft. good GMs can find impact linebackers in later rounds whereas impact safetys, game-changing safetys, are not only few and far between but generally go in the first round.

we can get a good MLB after the first round. lofa tatupu and demeco ryans both went in the second. sean taylor, troy polamalu and ed reed all went in the first.

I would love to see Clay Matthews Jr. here in Cleveland!

I remember him and his dad and brothers after the games we would be out in the parking lot passing the ball around. It was fun to have a player like Clay Sr. who got involved with the fans like that.

i wonder if he still has that old capri?

Archived