THE BROWNS BOARD

Success or not, I hope Quinn don't get injured

ATENEARS

The worst thing that can happen to the Browns right now is to have Brady Quinn go down before showing us much more than he can compete with the Washington Generals ... err. ... Detroit Lions.

Reading Bud Shaw's article today, Seriously, Browns quarterback Brady Quinn may get last laugh ... I took one thing from the article, "maybe he (Brady Quinn) will own the bizarre distinction of having a second head coach name him the starter for the following season, only to see that coach get fired shortly after." ... that ain't exactly a good track record after three seasons of grooming.

I just want to put this season behind us. I'm not very confident Quinn is any sort of answer, besides a punch line to getting consecutive coaches fired. In relation, Anderson prolonged Crennels and Savage tenure ... not sure which is worst.

Let's just get this thing over with, with Quinn playing every snap of every game in this putrid season. I'm hoping he plays well enough against the sub-par talent we have lined up the remainder of the season in order to gardner some sort of a trade ... I've given up on either of these two blokes making the roster next season.

Here's to drinking lots of milk and healthy bones!

Yeah, what if Brady gets hurt after a good start or two, and then Anderson takes over and does really well. The thought of facing the very same quarterback controversy for another season: unthinkable. You'd think they'd have to get rid of one of them in that case, though, so you might get a better trade if both are playing well.

I really, really, realllllly want Quinn to stay healthy for the remainder of the season.

I have this gut feeling Charlie Weis lands here as the offensive coordinator next year, reuniting him with Quinn and hopefully that is one of the sparks this team really needs to start getting back into contention.

I really, really, realllllly want Quinn to stay healthy for the remainder of the season.

I have this gut feeling Charlie Weis lands here as the offensive coordinator next year, reuniting him with Quinn and hopefully that is one of the sparks this team really needs to start getting back into contention.

That'd be great and all, but what's your gut feeling on Head Coach if Weis is going to be the OC?

That'd be great and all, but what's your gut feeling on Head Coach if Weis is going to be the OC?

I think they'll keep Mangina around thinking that him and Weis both being disciples of the great and mighty Belichek will turn things around. I think If Weis and Mangina do have some chemistry then thats a possibility, but truthfully I just don't think Mangina is cut out to be a HC and should probably just be let go during the off season.

The worst thing that can happen to the Browns right now is to have Brady Quinn go down before showing us much more than he can compete with the Washington Generals ... err. ... Detroit Lions.

Reading Bud Shaw's article today, Seriously, Browns quarterback Brady Quinn may get last laugh ... I took one thing from the article, "maybe he (Brady Quinn) will own the bizarre distinction of having a second head coach name him the starter for the following season, only to see that coach get fired shortly after." ... that ain't exactly a good track record after three seasons of grooming.

I just want to put this season behind us. I'm not very confident Quinn is any sort of answer, besides a punch line to getting consecutive coaches fired. In relation, Anderson prolonged Crennels and Savage tenure ... not sure which is worst.

Let's just get this thing over with, with Quinn playing every snap of every game in this putrid season. I'm hoping he plays well enough against the sub-par talent we have lined up the remainder of the season in order to gardner some sort of a trade ... I've given up on either of these two blokes making the roster next season.

Here's to drinking lots of milk and healthy bones!

Why not hope that he plays well enough to prove he can be OUR QB instead of just trade bait? Do you really hate him that much? I don't know if he will be any good or not so far he has look less than average, but I am still holding out hope that he just needs a few more games to prove be can do it in the NFL for US.

Not to say I'm psychic, but I am.

This just came across Twitter from Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Adam_Schefter

Notre Dame's coach (for now) Charlie Weis telling people that NFL teams already have contacted him regarding offensive coordinator jobs.

Money says one of them is the Browns. Or Weis is lying. I'm betting on the Browns though.

Hmm... Is this a trick question?

I'm going to guess: Times in Brady Quinn's career in which he didn't get an opportunity.

OHhhh ... you were so close. The Question was, "Times in Brady Quinn's career in which he didn't seize an opportunity."

I think we have an 'I own the Detroit Lions Defensive secondary' Tshirt around here for ya though for playing.

I've never been a big Quinn fan, and I never cared for Charlie Weiss. But I would be very happy to see Weiss as our OC and then bring BQ back. I think a good OC will know how to play to a QB's strengths and hide/minimize the weaknesses. Mike Martz could produce a 4000 yard passer out of Kitna, (on a hitty Detroit team)--- goes to show what a real OC can do for a QB.

I've never been a big Quinn fan, and I never cared for Charlie Weiss. But I would be very happy to see Weiss as our OC and then bring BQ back. I think a good OC will know how to play to a QB's strengths and hide/minimize the weaknesses. Mike Martz could produce a 4000 yard passer out of Kitna, (on a hitty Detroit team)--- goes to show what a real OC can do for a QB.

I'd take Weiss as OC. He was able to weave together a successful o-line out of Matt Light and a bunch of other guys that fell somewhere between the 5th round and UFA out of college. He had a bunch of receivers like Givens, Patten and Brown that were not marquee guys, but with a talented QB were able to get the job done. Those Patriot teams, outside of the QB were not the most talented teams, but Charlie knew how to work with what he had.

Matt Light LT

Acquired: D2-01 (48th overall)

Russ Hochstein LG

Acquired: FA-02

D5-01 (151st overall)Tampa Bay

Dan Koppen C

Acquired: D5-03(164th overall)

Joe Andruzzi RG

Acquired: FA-00 Undrafted

Tom Ashworth RT

Acquired: FA-01 Undrafted

Charlie was there when Brady was developing and before they upgraded their line with guys like Logan Mankins. Although later OCs have done very well with a mature Tom Brady, the upgraded line, and a receiving corps including Moss and Welker that was brilliantly built, its harder to attribute the earlier success of the Patriots offense to superior talent or by directly attributing the scheme to Belichick's defensive mastery as you can do with Crennel and Mangini if you are so inclined.

two words: Jeff Garcia.

If that's in response to my "skittish" statement, I think that characterization was a bit unfair when Garcia was here. Garcia was a successful WCO system QB that the Browns for some reason were trying to mash into a pocket passing offense. It wasn't that he was throwing passes without setting his feet or checking down prematurely. . . he was leaving the pocket when pressure came up the middle. It was silly to think that a barely 6 foot QB whose feet were a big part of his game would do anything else. Garcia was and is a deadly accurate short to medium range passer. He was completely out if his element here. Walsh told the world that.

Quinn, for most the season, has been rushing throws even when the protection is there as opposed to prematurely leaving the pocket to extend plays. Quinn doesn't come from a WCO background like Garcia did. Weis ran the same "Erhardt-Perkins" style offense Daboll is supposed to be installing here, where the QB is a pocket passer.

If your point is that Quinn might work better in a WCO system like Garcia, I might agree. But I'm now sold on his accuracy. Charlie Frye was a more accurate passer with better mobility and still couldn't hack it in a West Coast system. McCown had arm strength and better mobility, but not the accuracy to move beyond a Chuckie pet project. Quinn had better arms strength than Frye and is more accurate than McCown . . . but I'm not sure that he's accurate enough to thrive in that system.

If your answer is to sign Garcia, at this point that would make no sense. In replacing Davis, I wanted the Browns to hire Childress, keep Garcia and install the offense that the team's namesake helped create. I think that would have made a lot of sense.

I'd take Weiss as OC. He was able to weave together a successful o-line out of Matt Light and a bunch of other guys that fell somewhere between the 5th round and UFA out of college. He had a bunch of receivers like Givens, Patten and Brown that were not marquee guys, but with a talented QB were able to get the job done. Those Patriot teams, outside of the QB were not the most talented teams, but Charlie knew how to work with what he had.

Matt Light LT

Acquired: D2-01 (48th overall)

Russ Hochstein LG

Acquired: FA-02

D5-01 (151st overall)Tampa Bay

Dan Koppen C

Acquired: D5-03(164th overall)

Joe Andruzzi RG

Acquired: FA-00 Undrafted

Tom Ashworth RT

Acquired: FA-01 Undrafted

Charlie was there when Brady was developing and before they upgraded their line with guys like Logan Mankins. Although later OCs have done very well with a mature Tom Brady, the upgraded line, and a receiving corps including Moss and Welker that was brilliantly built, its harder to attribute the earlier success of the Patriots offense to superior talent or by directly attributing the scheme to Belichick's defensive mastery as you can do with Crennel and Mangini if you are so inclined.

Great points about a no name offense. Drew Bledsoe was a very good QB, but the Patriots didn't soar until Tom Brady was inserted, guys like Terry Glenn (Braylon Edwards?) were shown the door.

However, they did have a defense and something for Belichick to work with. Here's hoping we assemble 'some' piece of the puzzle this year on either side of the ball.

I want Quinn to succeed, but I've got to say, he's got to be the most "skittish" Browns' QB to date.

I agree. Even Couch who got mauled from his rookie year on; had more poise.

I'm still not sure what quality Quinn has that tells anyone that he is a starting QB in this league. People like to say he only has 9 starts but he is almost through his 3rd year in the league and still looks like a 7th grader playing against High School seniors. He can't control any pass beyond 20 yards and his short passes are low, behind, and high also. He's been that way since his rookie training camp and it hasn't changed. He is always throwing short and still his completeion percentage is barely 50%. And I keep hearing how atheletic he is but outside of his kissable abs I don't see anything atheletic about him whatsoever. Flacco and Big Ben are more atheletic.

DA looked terrible but he has more potential and I think that should be obvious by now. He isn't very good either but if you're going to put a running back and WRs around either of these guys it would seem to me that DA would be the better choice. Now, I would rather see a bonified QB in there but I don't see any coach from the BB tree reaching for a "stud" QB in the draft or free agency so one of these guys must develope this year or at least be a stop gap until we can groom a 4th rounder for a few years and I feel like out of the two, DA is the better choice. But we need to limit his attempts to 15-20 per game.

Either way, there is always next year!

*barf*

@mopaji, seriously, stay off the drugs, DA has zero "potential", he has zero accuracy, and zero future as a starting QB. Regardless of how many years someone has been in this league, games played is the most important measurable for any player. You can't simulate game speed or game situations. No one grows into great player by holding a clipboard. When Quinn is starting his 3rd season and he doesn't show that he's better than his rookie season (even if that was his 3rd year in the league), then its time to move on, until then you ride that horse and gameplan around his strengths. That's what good O coordinators do, if we had one, you'd see that.

One more thing, any quarterback who is any good needs receivers that can catch the ball, 7 more drops on Sunday, its amazing how inept our receiving corp is at catching the ball. If Quinn has such a weak arm as dolts on this board like to believe, then his ball should be easier to catch than the lasers that DA throws, but the stats don't support that. Our receivers drop balls, that has to stop.

Archived