THE BROWNS BOARD

Rogers Gone For the Season

bonedawg

Honestly, at this point I am glad he doesnt have to suffer through the remaining games on our schedule. Article:

BEREA, Ohio -- Some call him Big Baby. Others call him a man among boys. Whatever the case may be, the Browns now have a crater-sized hole in the middle of their defensive line where three-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers once stood.

“You miss a dominant player,” Browns defensive lineman Corey Williams said of Shaun Rogers (above). “A guy that’s going to take a double-team just about every play."Rogers, who suffered a lower left leg and ankle injury late in Sunday's 16-7 loss to the Bengals, will be placed on injured reserve for the season and undergo surgery to repair the damage. He'll be replaced in the lineup by second-year nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin, the Browns' sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Iowa State. End Corey Williams is also lobbying for playing time there, and coach Eric Mangini will determine if he needs to add another lineman.

"[Rogers] is very disappointed," Mangini said. "He wants to be out there. It hurts. It's really unfortunate."

Mangini declined to say if Rogers' ankle was broken. "I really don't want to get into the specifics of it," he said.

Rogers is one of four defensive starters injured Sunday. The others were safety Brodney Pool (concussion), end Kenyon Coleman (knee) and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley (knee). Mangini said it's "wait-and-see" with the three other players, but acknowledged the Browns are taking Pool's concussion -- his fourth or fifth -- very seriously.

"We spent a lot of time in New York researching the safest ways to bring a player back and carried those things over here," he said. "We'll go through that process and see where he is throughout the course of the week and evaluate it as we go."

rubintb.jpgTracy Boulian/The Plain Dealer“It’s unfortunate it happened to a great person like Big Baby," said likely replacement Ahtyba Rubin (71). "I just look forward to getting out there on Sundays and proving myself."Mangini couldn't deny that losing Rogers for the final five games is a tremendous blow to a defense that's ranked 31st overall and 29th against the run.

"It's tough," said Mangini. "He's big, he's disruptive. They have to deal with him from a game-plan perspective and it's difficult. Couple that with [losing] D'Qwell Jackson and Eric Barton, really that whole interior has changed dramatically from the start of the season."

Fortunately for the Browns, they've liked what they've seen from Rubin, who spells Rogers for about 30 percent of the snaps. But Rubin won't draw the double- and triple-teams Rogers does.

"I really think Rubin has done a nice job throughout the whole season, the whole off-season and training camp," said Mangini. "He's really developing in that role and this is a great opportunity for him to continue to develop. He's gotten more patient with shedding the blocker."

If Williams gets his wish, he'll rotate some with Rubin. But Williams might will also be needed more on the outside, where Coleman could miss time.

"I would trade that for anything," said Williams. "I'd love to be in there. I just love being down on the inside because stuff happens more quickly. Out there on that end, stuff happens slow and I don't like that."

Has he stated his case with the coaches?

"I'm quite sure they know," said Williams. "It's not hard to realize it. I didn't play end in Green Bay. I'd like to get in there and show them what I can do on some of the run downs, get some tackles-for-losses."

Williams acknowledged that losing Rogers is a blow.

"You miss a dominant player," he said. "A guy that's going to take a double-team just about every play. A hard-playing guy, a funny guy. He's a leader and a lot of guys look up to him. But Rubin has played pretty stout. He's another big stud in the middle to replace Shaun. He's got his hands full."

Rubin admitted he's got big shoes to fill.

"It's a great opportunity," he said. "It's unfortunate it happened to a great person like Big Baby. I just look forward to getting out there on Sundays and proving myself. He's told me to recognize where the run's coming from, formations, and have confidence in myself that I can play in this league -- try to step up and be a force."

"[Rogers] is very disappointed," Mangini said. "He wants to be out there. It hurts. It's really unfortunate."

Mangini declined to say if Rogers' ankle was broken. "I really don't want to get into the specifics of it," he said.

for the love of god, GIVE A FREAKING STRAIGHT ANSWER! has there ever been an a-hole more full of himself on the planet? yeah, i know that bb (butt buddy, not bill bellichick) would be saying the same thing but come on; since coming here, mangini hasn't fully answered one freaking question. i am getting sick and tired of this crap and as days go by i get more and more upset with this hiring in the first place. everyday that goes by should be a day closer to mangini getting canned at the end of the year. at this point, i wouldn't be surprised to hear that mangini jerked off the mirror. that's how full of himself he is.

I hope that he can come back at full strength for next season, if it is also his achiles he would probably miss next year.

If Corey Williams can come in and play really well at NT it eliminates a problem worrying about rogers. It would also increase his trade value if that is a consideration.

Honestly, at this point I am glad he doesnt have to suffer through the remaining games on our schedule. Article:

BEREA, Ohio -- Some call him Big Baby. Others call him a man among boys. Whatever the case may be, the Browns now have a crater-sized hole in the middle of their defensive line where three-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers once stood.

“You miss a dominant player,” Browns defensive lineman Corey Williams said of Shaun Rogers (above). “A guy that’s going to take a double-team just about every play."Rogers, who suffered a lower left leg and ankle injury late in Sunday's 16-7 loss to the Bengals, will be placed on injured reserve for the season and undergo surgery to repair the damage. He'll be replaced in the lineup by second-year nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin, the Browns' sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Iowa State. End Corey Williams is also lobbying for playing time there, and coach Eric Mangini will determine if he needs to add another lineman.

Rogers is one of four defensive starters injured Sunday. The others were safety Brodney Pool (concussion), end Kenyon Coleman (knee) and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley (knee). Mangini said it's "wait-and-see" with the three other players, but acknowledged the Browns are taking Pool's concussion -- his fourth or fifth -- very seriously.

"We spent a lot of time in New York researching the safest ways to bring a player back and carried those things over here," he said. "We'll go through that process and see where he is throughout the course of the week and evaluate it as we go."

rubintb.jpgTracy Boulian/The Plain Dealer“It’s unfortunate it happened to a great person like Big Baby," said likely replacement Ahtyba Rubin (71). "I just look forward to getting out there on Sundays and proving myself."Mangini couldn't deny that losing Rogers for the final five games is a tremendous blow to a defense that's ranked 31st overall and 29th against the run.

"It's tough," said Mangini. "He's big, he's disruptive. They have to deal with him from a game-plan perspective and it's difficult. Couple that with [losing] D'Qwell Jackson and Eric Barton, really that whole interior has changed dramatically from the start of the season."

Fortunately for the Browns, they've liked what they've seen from Rubin, who spells Rogers for about 30 percent of the snaps. But Rubin won't draw the double- and triple-teams Rogers does.

"I really think Rubin has done a nice job throughout the whole season, the whole off-season and training camp," said Mangini. "He's really developing in that role and this is a great opportunity for him to continue to develop. He's gotten more patient with shedding the blocker."

If Williams gets his wish, he'll rotate some with Rubin. But Williams might will also be needed more on the outside, where Coleman could miss time.

"I would trade that for anything," said Williams. "I'd love to be in there. I just love being down on the inside because stuff happens more quickly. Out there on that end, stuff happens slow and I don't like that."

Has he stated his case with the coaches?

"I'm quite sure they know," said Williams. "It's not hard to realize it. I didn't play end in Green Bay. I'd like to get in there and show them what I can do on some of the run downs, get some tackles-for-losses."

Williams acknowledged that losing Rogers is a blow.

"You miss a dominant player," he said. "A guy that's going to take a double-team just about every play. A hard-playing guy, a funny guy. He's a leader and a lot of guys look up to him. But Rubin has played pretty stout. He's another big stud in the middle to replace Shaun. He's got his hands full."

Rubin admitted he's got big shoes to fill.

"It's a great opportunity," he said. "It's unfortunate it happened to a great person like Big Baby. I just look forward to getting out there on Sundays and proving myself. He's told me to recognize where the run's coming from, formations, and have confidence in myself that I can play in this league -- try to step up and be a force."

one of manginis b!thchs hank poteat single handly lost a lions game for us a couple of weeks later another mangini b!tch injures our stud NT prob on his way to another pro bowl. please some one shoot this injured dawg

Archived