THE BROWNS BOARD

Montreal

kshutchins

While I'm waiting for the Browns to turn things around, I'm thinking I might become an Alouettes fan:

The 97th Grey Cup was played on November 29, 2009 in McMahon Stadium in Calgary, Alberta to decide the Canadian Football League (CFL) champion for the 2009 season.[2] The Montreal Alouettes came from behind to defeat the Saskatchewan Roughriders, 28-27, on a 33-yard field goal by Damon Duval as time ran out. Duval had actually missed his first attempt, but Saskatchewan was penalized for having too many men on the field, allowing Duval a second field goal attempt. It was the most watched Grey Cup ever, with an average viewing audience of 6.1 million. [1]

Oh... just a note. The head coach of the Alouettes is Marc Trestman. Remember him?

Well, as the resident Montrealer on this board, I want all of my Brownies to know that they missed a terrfic Grey Cup (Canada's Superbowl equivalent) game last weekend. As Kathy said, the Montreal Allouettes were down 17-3 at half time and rallied back for a last play field goal with no time on the clock. The initial kick was wide and the Saskatchewan Rough Riders started celebrating their victory ... but wait a minute ... flags littered the field? Could it be a penalty on the D for too many men? Yes, therefore move the ball 10 yards closer, and rekick. It's good, Montreal wins!!!

Well at least one of my teams won a championship. Well, two actually cause I'm also a Yankees fan.

If only I could figure out a way to get the Browns to win. I watch the game, they lose. I don't watch, they lose. I've switch TV's, chairs, foods, clothing ... but nothing seems to exercise the Brown's demons.

I'm still a fan ... and always will be. But I don't see light at the end of this tunnel ... and if I did, it would probably be a train.

Oh well, I'm off the Grey Cup victory parade.

You know, perhaps The Moose from Scapoose would do well in the CFL. He can't do anything on just about the worst team in the NFL and that nickname of his would fit in well up there. (Derek Anderson in case you didn't know).

Any chance we could do a trade? :rolleyes: Montreal can have both Anderson and Quinn and the Browns get Anthony Calvillo calvillo392-cp.jpg

Any chance we could do a trade? :rolleyes: Montreal can have both Anderson and Quinn and the Browns get Anthony Calvillo

Please, fill us in. Who is he?

(and before you get all hyped up about Canadian League players: note this: one of the biggest stars in that league that led his team to a couple of title games I believe was none other than Spurgeon Wynn of the Edmonton Eskimos. It is possible for a CFL guy to succeed in the NFL, but many of the players in the CFL are there for a reason: they couldn't make it in the NFL)

Please, fill us in. Who is he?

(and before you get all hyped up about Canadian League players: note this: one of the biggest stars in that league that led his team to a couple of title games I believe was none other than Spurgeon Wynn of the Edmonton Eskimos. It is possible for a CFL guy to succeed in the NFL, but many of the players in the CFL are there for a reason: they couldn't make it in the NFL)

Saw a little piece on him this weekend, took last year off to nurse his wife during cancer,

really don't know alot ,but I believe he's a CFL equivalent of Brett Farve and about the same age (not quite)

Edit;The 2003 CFL season was stellar for Calvillo where he broke numerous Montreal Alouette passing records, completing 408 of 675 passing attempts for 5,891 yards and 37 touchdowns. In 2004, he became the fourth quarterback in CFL history to pass for more than 6,000 yards in a single season (Doug Flutie, David Archer, and Kent Austin being the other three) earning him the East Division nominee for Most Outstanding Player for the third consecutive year.

Well, nobody commented on Marc Trestman, so here's a portion of his pedigree:

Trestman began his coaching career in 1981 for the University of Miami while attending law school. In ‘83, after passing the Florida Bar exam, he was named the Hurricanes quarterbacks coach. Miami won the National Championship that year defeating the University of Nebraska 31-30 in the Orange Bowl, which went down as one of college football’s greatest games. Redshirt freshman quarterback Bernie Kosar threw for 2,329 yards that season and was the Orange Bowl MVP. A year later Kosar set school records for pass completions with 262, passing yards with 3,643, and 25 touchdowns.

In 1985, Bud Grant came out of retirement and hired Marc to his first appointment in the National Football League with the Minnesota Vikings. Four years later Marc was named the offensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns, reuniting him with Kosar. Under the tutelage of Trestman, Kosar led the Browns to the AFC central championship and to the AFC title game. Kosar passed for 3,533 yards and 18 TDs in ‘89, and wide receiver Webster Slaughter set a franchise record with 1,236 receiving yards.

In January of 1995, after leaving the game for 3 years, Marc was hired by Super Bowl winning coach George Seifert to become the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the San Francisco 49’ers. Seifert asked Marc to forget all he knew about the game and learn the “west coast offense”, and to teach it as Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Bill Walsh had done before him.

Well, nobody commented on Marc Trestman, so here's a portion of his pedigree:

Hahaha....we used to bitch and moan about Trestman too.

I think we as Browns fans have been bitching about our offense ever since Infante left.

Somebody asked about CFL / NFL converts and mentioned Winn. Well, there have been a couple of other stars that come to mind: Doug Flutie, Jonnny Rodgers, Warren Moon, Joe Thiessman, Pinball Clemmons, Trent Grren were all CFL stars before they became NFL starts. Theissman was drafted by both the Miami Dolphins and the Minn. Twins but decided to play in the CFL (Toronto) for four years before joining the Redskins as a punt returner and eventually leading them to two superbowls (one win).

And the following Canadians currently play in the USA:

Vaughn Martin SD DE Toronto, ON (Jamaica)

Brett Romberg ATL C Windsor, ON

Jamaal Westerman NYJ LB Brampton, ON

Shaun Suisham WAS K Wallaceburg, ON

Jon Ryan SEA P Regina, SK

Rob Meier JAC DT Vancouver, BC

L.P. Ladouceur DAL LS Pointe Claire, QC

Nick Kaczur NE OL Brantford, Ontario

Israel Idonije CHI DT Brandon, Manitoba

Dan Federkeil IND OL Medicine Hat, AB

Nate Burleson SEA WR Calgary, AB

O.J. Atogwe

I also know that last year KC had a Canadian as a lineman who's brother is an NHL Hockey Player. I believe that was the first NHL/NFL brother combination.

Hahaha....we used to bitch and moan about Trestman too.

I think we as Browns fans have been bitching about our offense ever since Infante left.

I agree totally.

Somebody asked about CFL / NFL converts and mentioned Winn. Well, there have been a couple of other stars that come to mind: Doug Flutie, Jonnny Rodgers, Warren Moon, Joe Thiessman, Pinball Clemmons, Trent Grren were all CFL stars before they became NFL starts. Theissman was drafted by both the Miami Dolphins and the Minn. Twins but decided to play in the CFL (Toronto) for four years before joining the Redskins as a punt returner and eventually leading them to two superbowls (one win).

And the following Canadians currently play in the USA:

Vaughn Martin SD DE Toronto, ON (Jamaica)

Brett Romberg ATL C Windsor, ON

Jamaal Westerman NYJ LB Brampton, ON

Shaun Suisham WAS K Wallaceburg, ON

Jon Ryan SEA P Regina, SK

Rob Meier JAC DT Vancouver, BC

L.P. Ladouceur DAL LS Pointe Claire, QC

Nick Kaczur NE OL Brantford, Ontario

Israel Idonije CHI DT Brandon, Manitoba

Dan Federkeil IND OL Medicine Hat, AB

Nate Burleson SEA WR Calgary, AB

O.J. Atogwe

I also know that last year KC had a Canadian as a lineman who's brother is an NHL Hockey Player. I believe that was the first NHL/NFL brother combination.

Theisman used Canada in a contract ploy. Moon had to go to Canada because of the prejudice against black QBs at the time. He of course proved the folly of that attitude. Flutie went there because all the idiots in the NFL thought he was too short to play in that league. He of course proved them wrong. Johnny Rodgers I believe started out in the NFL, but performed remarkable poorly. I did not know that Trent Green played in the CFL, and I have never heard of this Pinball Clemmons.

Hi all,

Long time Browns fan (since 1980), but first post. I'm a born & raised Edmontonian, so I'm very well versed in all things CFL. FYI, Spurgeon Wynn has never played for the Eskimos (not that I know of), & Trent Green's never played in the CFL. The league itself is a great place for those players from the NCAA who never got a chance in the NFL because they were too small or not quite ready yet, but who have a lot of talent & are well-suited to the style of play up here. If you're not familair with some of the nuances of the league, the field is longer & wider than in the NFL, there's only 3 downs instead of 4, 12 players instead of 11, & unlimited offensive motion is allowed before the snap of the ball. So basically, you get a lot of smaller, quicker players on the lines & in the linebacker positions, not so much the earthmovers that you see in the NFL & NCAA.

You might remember a guy named Tom Cousineau - he played for the Alouettes in the late 70's/early 80's along with guys like Billy "White Shoes" Johnson & Vince Ferregamo. Remember Jared Zabransky, the QB for Boise St. when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago? He was the 3rd string QB in Edmonton this year. & Graham Harrell from Texas Tech (QB last year when they beat Texas) is on the DL for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Hi everyone,

Since some people introduced themselves on this board in this thread I thought I would too. I'm from Quebec and I'm a Browns fan since 2000 when I began to follow NFL football more seriously. I read TheBrownsBoard since 3 years I think.

Back to this thread: dont't forget Jeff Garcia who played for the Calgary Stampeders!

Theisman used Canada in a contract ploy. Moon had to go to Canada because of the prejudice against black QBs at the time. He of course proved the folly of that attitude. Flutie went there because all the idiots in the NFL thought he was too short to play in that league. He of course proved them wrong. Johnny Rodgers I believe started out in the NFL, but performed remarkable poorly. I did not know that Trent Green played in the CFL, and I have never heard of this Pinball Clemmons.

Trent Jason Green (born July 9, 1970 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa) is a retired American football quarterback. He was drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the eighth round of the 1993 NFL Draft. He played college football at Indiana University.

Green also played for the BC Lions, Washington Redskins, St. Louis Rams, Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins. He earned a Super Bowl ring with the Rams and was selected to two Pro Bowls with the Chiefs.

Hi all,

Long time Browns fan (since 1980), but first post. I'm a born & raised Edmontonian, so I'm very well versed in all things CFL. FYI, Spurgeon Wynn has never played for the Eskimos (not that I know of), & Trent Green's never played in the CFL. The league itself is a great place for those players from the NCAA who never got a chance in the NFL because they were too small or not quite ready yet, but who have a lot of talent & are well-suited to the style of play up here. If you're not familair with some of the nuances of the league, the field is longer & wider than in the NFL, there's only 3 downs instead of 4, 12 players instead of 11, & unlimited offensive motion is allowed before the snap of the ball. So basically, you get a lot of smaller, quicker players on the lines & in the linebacker positions, not so much the earthmovers that you see in the NFL & NCAA.

You might remember a guy named Tom Cousineau - he played for the Alouettes in the late 70's/early 80's along with guys like Billy "White Shoes" Johnson & Vince Ferregamo. Remember Jared Zabransky, the QB for Boise St. when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago? He was the 3rd string QB in Edmonton this year. & Graham Harrell from Texas Tech (QB last year when they beat Texas) is on the DL for the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

That's right. Ferragamo was a bust as he kept forgetting about the 12th defensive man on the field. Thirteenth man if it was against Saskatchewan!

Hi everyone,

Since some people introduced themselves on this board in this thread I thought I would too. I'm from Quebec and I'm a Browns fan since 2000 when I began to follow NFL football more seriously. I read TheBrownsBoard since 3 years I think.

Back to this thread: dont't forget Jeff Garcia who played for the Calgary Stampeders!

I thought I was the only Quebecer on this board. Are there any more?

Archived