THE BROWNS BOARD

People who dislike Mangini

steel88

all the anylists and sport writers said before the season even started that they only expected us to win 2 games. yet everyone is throwing a fit and blaming the coach and anythign else they can find, for loosing every week.

if people saw us sucking this bad before the season even started, then its most likely because we have no xxxxing players on the team that are any good. hell, they saw us doing this bad when we still had winslow and BE on the roster.

the only bad decisions mangini has really made is sticking with DA, and Daboll. both of which we won't be much more productive if those 2 are changed anyways.

bottom line, we have shitty players, most of which couldn't start for other nfl teams. that is why we suck, it doesnt' have much to do with mangini at this point.

I'm not expecting Browns fans to be truly objective on this, as everyone WANTS to like their team and WANTS to like the head coach and WANTS to think that things are heading in the right direction - but at some point the fans need to look at the Head Coach and decide whether he's got the team going int the right direction or not.

Asking one's self some questions may help.

1.) The hire: Do people think that Lerner rushed to hire a HC? Or that he needed to rush to hire Mangini in particular?

2.) Do fans think that there might have been a reason why no other organization was interested in Mangini?

3.) Do fans think that Mangini's has proven his ability to select appropriate front office personnel? (Especially after Erin whatshername and Kokinis were let go the way they were?)

4.) Do fans think that maybe, with Mangini attacking or abandoning so many of his former "friends" - Belichick, Kokinis, Erin WhatsHerName, Schwartz - that maybe that reflects on him as a person and manager?

5.) Free agency: Do people think that with all the players available to Mangini in free agency that he significantly upgraded the team? Or have his choices, especially so many abandonded Jets players - upgraded the team?

6.) Do fans think that perhaps players who are not former Jets are being treated the same as players who Mangini has worked with before (i.e. have those former Jets truly earned their playing time?)

7.) On the draft, when one compares the Patriots trading back from 23 to 26 that eventually netted them them a #3 WR (Edelman) Brandon Tate, a starting CB (Darius Butler), and a second rounder next year - all in return for dropping back 3 spots in the mid 20s, did Mangini get enough for trading out of the #5 spot? (Especially when so many fans insist that Mangini will develop this team through the draft?)

8.) Do fans buy the "Mural" story... i.e. that the mural was taken down so it could be showcased in a more visible place? (I actually don't know the answer to this... if anyone knows where the "prominent" place the Mural of Browns History was re-displayed please let me know but from what I can tell it's gone.)

9.) Do fans think that Mangini handled the QB situation well? Are Brady and Anderson worth more for trade now than they were when he got there? Should Mangini have made a move to grab available QBs in the offseason?

10.) Do fans think that Mangini's decision to have Daboll at OC is a wise one?

11.) Do fans think that this team, which could end 1-15, a record that has seen more than one first year head coach lose his job in the past, has this team moving in the right direction?

12.) Do fans think that Mangini's relations and perceptions among players and in the NFL in general will help or hurt their ability to attract the best free agents?

That's just a dozen questions to start. Ask yourself the questions and answer them honestly.

My answers don't reflect positively on the ability of the current coach to help a historic franchise return to the greatness it deserves. My answers suggest that the (Charlie) Browns have taken some significant steps back, and I question whether the current Coach/GM can attract free agents, make the right choices in the draft, and actually inspire players to play beyond their talents with the benefit of good play calling.

I honestly don't know the answer to the Mural question - I thought this was all media over-reaction at first but I've more recently heard that the excuse that the mural was being moved to a more visible location was in fact BS, and the mural is gone. Not a huge issue in terms of the football team but it would be insult to injury this season if the Browns were my #1 team. As a pure football fan first, I take great offense at a coach coming in and doing what he did, if in fact that's the case.

joe, everyone knows that your whole reason for being on these boards is to bash mangini. seeing as how obvious that is no one takes much stake in your responses, and its probably best to keep your posts short, not many people read what you post, so your wasting your time with such long posts.

just an fyi

I do agree with Mangini on the following:

>> Trade Down: there was no one worth taking at such a high pick

I think Michael Crabtree and Brian Orakpo have each made the case that they would have been good picks at #5.

For all that's been said about Crabtree's character, the guy has been more than impressive on the field. How many rookies could join the team mid-season and immediately put up good numbers (26 catches, 346 yards, 1 TD through six games)? That he showed up in playing shape speaks to his solid work ethic.

And despite being compared to Vernon Gholston by many people, including Texas fans, Brian Orakpo's transitioned well to playing linebacker and has already notched 7 sacks.

In hindsight, both of those guys would have been pretty good picks. And I'm not sure that the yield from our trade down looks all that solid, especially if Veikune can't contribute.

If I was Mangini I would of not of traded and signed half of the back ups from the Jets. They would all be special teamers on any other team. Also what does he have against playing the young guys. We need to see what these second round picks can do, the season is lost, at least give them some experience. Experience can only be helpful. And our offense just plain out sucks. Why would you bench Jerome Harrison after a break out game for Jamal Lewis. Lewis clearly tried to get into his doghouse by saying he would retire and by saying they practice too hard yet Mangini kept pounding him the ball. If a guy says hes going to retire and the team is 1-9 you stop playing him. Also the team doesnt respond to Mangini. Besides his Jets players no one else responds to him especially after he called a play that got Cribbs injured.

Its not all his fault but he continued to start Derek Anderson even after his 2-19 performance. i just feel Mangini isn't looking ways to fix things. He has made few efforts to fix the offense. Obsvioulsy the talent is low but cmon change the playbook or something.

joe, everyone knows that your whole reason for being on these boards is to bash mangini. seeing as how obvious that is no one takes much stake in your responses, and its probably best to keep your posts short, not many people read what you post, so your wasting your time with such long posts.

just an fyi

Since answering 12 simple questions is clearly too much for your internal microprocessor to handle, allow me to offer the "answers" that I've seen from the fewer and fewer Browns fans who are deluding themselves that all is well and Mangini clearly has the team on it's way to a championship.

1.) Lerner had to rush to hire Mangini before a CFL or Austrailian Rules Football team snatched him up.

2.) Other teams aren't smart enough to see a good coach like Randy Lerner can.

3.) Mangini's ability to hire quality front officer personnel is unquestioned (by everyone except Kokinis and Erin what'shername)

4.) Mangini's willingness to sacrifice his friends so quickly and readilly should make his enemies truly quake in their boots. (If that's how he treats his friends, then WATCH OUT Steelers, Ravens, etc.!)

5.) Free agents will be knocking down the door to play for Mangini and his 1-15 team next year.

6.) Cleveland players on the roster LOVE it that guys who simply used to wear a Jets uniform can waltz in and take a starting position. (Hank Poteat's earned his position!)

7.) Mangini and Kokinis played everyone else in the draft for fools. The 5th pick in the draft wasn't worth much anyways and there was no one good taken before 21 that the Browns would rather have.

8.) No true Browns fan wants to go anywhere near the Mural story, lest that shatter their illusion. It's up somewhere more apparent and more visible than ever before. It's just that no one seems to know where.

9.) Mangini is to be credited with his handling of the QB situaiton. Both Quinn and Anderson are more confident than ever before and Mangnini has maximized their trade value.

10.) The offense is in good hands with Daboll. Mangini really has a knack for picking coaches as well as front office personnel.

11.) The team is moving in the right direction. Sometimes you just have to take 137 bakcwards before taking a step forward.

12.) Thanks to Mangini, the Browns are again a respected and credible organization. Thank God we're not a 4-12 team anymore.

There - was that so hard? :lol:

once again, without reading any of that I know that whole post is just bashing mangini, so that is all a waste for you to type.

Like i said, your wasting time typing anything longer than "I hate mangini, and i want you all too aswell"

once again, without reading any of that I know that whole post is just bashing mangini, so that is all a waste for you to type.

Like i said, your wasting time typing anything longer than "I hate mangini, and i want you all too aswell"

Yeah, you're right. This probably isn't the appropriate thread in which to list the reasons why peope dislike Mangini.

Perhaps someone should start a thread asking that specific question. That would probably be a good idea, don't you think?

Yeah, you're right. This probably isn't the appropriate thread in which to list the reasons why peope dislike Mangini.

Perhaps someone should start a thread asking that specific question. That would probably be a good idea, don't you think?

You did kinda walk into that one Alendor, but I get what ya mean none of joe's(or anybody's for that matter except the dude who said 1-10) have any factual evidence to back up why they dont like him and its basically what I thought would be the out come anyhow.

I am all about Eric Berry. I feel like he can change the entire attitude of a defense and we need that right now. Not to mention he makes big plays with hits and picks. He can play like Polamalou does. Never enter the huddle, just play the ball wherever it is on the field. You can more for your money with that guy. He'll hekp the LBs and the DBs. And, he can start on day one and be productive.

Please Browns, stay the hell away from Clausen! Outside of Montana I can't think of any Notre Dame QB that has done anything significant in the NFL. Clausen is all smoke and mirrors. The only QB I would take in the first round is Locker. Still, I hope we don't get a QB until the 4th or 5th round. Develop him in this system for a year or two and let him rip in 2012.

I'm pretty sure we won't be drafting another ND qb anytime soon, even if Charlie rolls into town.

Berry's a great player, but DBs don't get taken in the first 5 picks. Suh and Rodgers would be nice.

If we stay high in the first round, get me anyone for the front seven on D that has a clue how to stuff the run #1 need in my book. #2 running back, #3 legit wr, #4 RT, RG.

na, the thing is joe only joined this board to bash mangini. almoast every post hes made since day one has been to somehow bash on mangini. seeing as how he isn't a browns fan, and how most people ignore what he says due to his bashing. the regular browns fans who like the team, and want to see it succeed have valid points, and are worth reading, as they often post of other things aswell.

i'm just saying hes wasting his time writing paragraphs of reasons, when not many care what he has to say at this point. i'm sure if you read his posts in this thread alone there are nothing but bashing mangini due to some sort of angry vendetta against him, because he took the jets job after leaving the pats, not logical, thought out reasons everyone else here has. if i spent all kinds of time writing full pages of stuff like he did, i'd sure want someone to tell me that no one is reading it, so next time i wouldn't spend so much time on it. just giving him some friendly advice so that he can be a more effecient troll.

I am all about Eric Berry. I feel like he can change the entire attitude of a defense and we need that right now. Not to mention he makes big plays with hits and picks. He can play like Polamalou does. Never enter the huddle, just play the ball wherever it is on the field. You can more for your money with that guy. He'll hekp the LBs and the DBs. And, he can start on day one and be productive.

Please Browns, stay the hell away from Clausen! Outside of Montana I can't think of any Notre Dame QB that has done anything significant in the NFL. Clausen is all smoke and mirrors. The only QB I would take in the first round is Locker. Still, I hope we don't get a QB until the 4th or 5th round. Develope him in this system for a year or two and let him rip in 2012.

Totally agree about the 4-5 round QB. Tim Hiller, Western Michigan he is an Ohio native who is a pocket passer, very smart kid just what Mangini likes in a player. Had mediocre season due to NO talent around him, but when he played w/ Greg Jennings a few seasons ago he was dynamite and same last season he beat Illininois. I think he would be perfect for this situation.

How do you figure hes a jerk? sure ive heard that from espn and such but from actual players it isnt that way at all

Not to mention the guys he brought in from NY seem to "get" Mangini and believe in him. A few even decided to sign with a team that was about to begin a tear-down and rebuild process knowing they weren't going to be contending for another year or two. I can't help but think that that had something to do with the coach they would be playing for. They may not be superstars but if Mangini was really hated by his players why would any of them decide to come and play for him again? Young Abe Elam even requested a trade to a really bad Cleveland team! If the coach was so bad, why would he choose to play and develope with a bad team rather than an up-and-coming NY team? Could it be that he liked his coach?

I think the players seemingly not enjoying themselves are the one's he inherited from "Club Romeo". Their probably a little bit pissed that they can't just relax and collect lots of money without any fear of being benched, traded, or cut. Now, they have to work just like every other player in the league and they probably don't like that the gravy train is coming off the tracks. And when you factor in the fact that very few of said players are even good enough to play in the NFL, you get a 1 win team. And that has less to do with the Coach being cocky and more to do with what I explained above.

I'm pretty sure we won't be drafting another ND qb anytime soon, even if Charlie rolls into town.

Berry's a great player, but DBs don't get taken in the first 5 picks. Suh and Rodgers would be nice.

If we stay high in the first round, get me anyone for the front seven on D that has a clue how to stuff the run #1 need in my book. #2 running back, #3 legit wr, #4 RT, RG.

I agree with you completely I wouldn't take Berry that high. But I'm hoping we can trade that pick and move down a few spots in the first while picking up a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Then, I go for Berry between 10-15. Pay less, get an instant contributer, and pick up another draft pick.

I just keep reminding myself that Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 in his first year at Dallas, so you really can't judge a coach after one season. It would be wrong to get rid of Mangini unless there was a clear step up waiting to take the job such as Gruden, Cowher, or Shanahan, and I honestly don't think that top tier coaches are going to beat down the door to take over this team.

people just hate him because we're losing. if we were 15-1 right now instead, all those fines, injuries, and what not would be forgotten. those are all just excuses to hate him, not real reasons, as no one wants to say they hate him just because we're losing.

people just hate him because we're losing. if we were 15-1 right now instead, all those fines, injuries, and what not would be forgotten. those are all just excuses to hate him, not real reasons, as no one wants to say they hate him just because we're losing.

Thank you Captain Obvious!

(And in fact I think Mangini would be due a place in the Hall of Fame if he had 15 wins after 11 games!) :lol:

But I agree that EVEN with Mangini botching the trade value of two starting QBs, having "questionable" player relations at best, making bad front office hirings, a bad GM hire, a bad Offensive Coordinator hire, throwing his former friend Kokinis under the bus, adding Jim Schwartz to a list of his former friends he accuses of cheating, forcing rookies to take a bus to Hartford, levying outrageous fines for stealing water bottles, and moving historic Browns Murals to more visible locations that don't seem to be visible (no one still seems to be able to tell me where it went) etc. etc... fans would be willing to forgive all those bonehead moves and more if he were 10-1 as of now.

However since many of those decisions CAN'T be overlooked and in fact many have CONTRIBUTED to an approach that seems intent on taking 100 steps backwards before moving forward, and resulted in a 1-10 record "as of now" it's a bit much to ask fans to overlook all his clear shortcomings as a coach and decision maker in the organization.

All of Mangini's A-hole Personality Traits would certainly be viewed a bit differently if he was winning, no doubt.

An A-Hole Coach who wins is a great coach. An A-Hole Coach who loses is a loser (and an a-hole). It is pretty simple, you're correct.

I seem to recall he had a pretty good rookie QB on that team too.

Maybe Troy Aikman will come here to play! It would probably be an improvement!

Aikman threw 9 TDs and 18 INTs his rookie year.

He also had one season in his career where he threw over 20 TDs.

He was the ultimate system QB -- hand off to Emmitt, short pass to Irvin with huge YAC.

Aikman threw 9 TDs and 18 INTs his rookie year.

He also had one season in his career where he threw over 20 TDs.

He was the ultimate system QB -- hand off to Emmitt, short pass to Irvin with huge YAC.

Your point being that Jimmy Johnson was able to do with he did with Troy Aikman, just a mediocre "ultimate system QB who would do little more than hand off to Emmit and short pass to Irvin" just imagine how dominant the Browns will be?

Good luck promoting that theory. It's really a shame they only let the mediocre players go to the Pro Bowl (six times) and the Super Bowl (three times).

Sadly the analogies between these 1-15 teams end pretty quickly.

Jimmy Johnson was bold enough to take a chance on a rookie QB and let him develop during a lost season. Mangini has a lost season without purpose.

Archived