THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini what are you doing?

cdl15

129 yds on 29 carries! Let me repeat that ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY-NINE YARDS on 29 CARRIES! That is what Jerome Harrison did the the vaunted Bengels earlier in the year as the Browns gave them everything they wanted!

Present day Jerome Harrison carried the ball, ready, wait for it, 2 f&)(kin carries for 3 yrds. What the heck dude! He is the only guy to have a hundred yrd day against the bungles in what 20 some games.

Talk about getting Blackballed the guy does great things with the ball everytime he touches it. Is perfectly healthy behind a guy that is long past his prime and will not be coming back next year.

I have two theorys on Jerome's standing with Mangini

1. Mangini doesn't want to see another romeo/crennel guy blow up and carry the load.

2. Mangini is mad at Jamal Lewis for talking out against him and getting praise for it, Jerome says something along the lines that he isnt happy and he isnt going to comment on it and mangini benches him. For What missing a block yea right. Like Mangini has the balls to sit Lewis prob get beat up.

Harrison could be a playmaker but there is no way that anyone including this moron can even tell that. Check his college stats he was a monster.

GET THE GHOST THE BALL!!!!!!!

129 yds on 29 carries! Let me repeat that ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY-NINE YARDS on 29 CARRIES!

Thank God you repeated that. Everybody knows that once you read a block of text, you cannot reread it, therefore you must interpret it immediately or risk not understanding.

Perhaps its because Harrison is a liability when it comes to pass-blocking. You can't expect to get carries if you don't round out all your skills. Otherwise, your offensive playcalling is gonna become to predictable. It's the same problem that we had with Winslow

The last time i looked everything we were doing with lewis and jennings was already predictable its the same with mangini's open door policy..if your man enough to go to his office and tell him you dont like something ,he is queer enough find a reason and way to bench ya...open door closed mind policy...

Perhaps its because Harrison is a liability when it comes to pass-blocking. You can't expect to get carries if you don't round out all your skills. Otherwise, your offensive playcalling is gonna become to predictable. It's the same problem that we had with Winslow

just another excuse for mangini nobody made excusses for romeo like this last i checked lewis wasn't the best pass blocker either

The last time i looked everything we were doing with lewis and jennings was already predictable its the same with mangini's open door policy..if your man enough to go to his office and tell him you dont like something ,he is queer enough find a reason and way to bench ya...open door closed mind policy...

Do you actually know that to be true? Do you actually know anything, or are you really as full of shit as you sound? Because I find it hard to believe that anybody could be that full of shit without it coming out of their eyes.

just another excuse for mangini nobody made excusses for romeo like this last i checked lewis wasn't the best pass blocker either

Well if you wanted the best pass blocker, I suppose we could put Joe Thomas in the backfield. But our running game might suffer even more, considering as he runs a 5.09 40 yard dash.

It's not about the putting the best pass blocker back there, it's about putting the back who can perform in every facet of their job. As long as Jamal is blocking better than Harrison, Harrison will sit out.

This is what I hear everybody say, yet the only time I see Harrison get in the game is on 3rd down in a shotgun formation where he stays in and trys to block. If he sucks at blocking and the coaches know this then why on earth is he sent in to block?

If you are NEVER going to run him out of the backfield on a passing route, send Vickers in to stand by the QB for christ sake...

I'm with the OP on this one. I watched him on his second carry, take the ball toward the sideline and get cut off by the defense, yet made one move and dove forward for positive yards instead of tap dancing around for the loss.

I would feed Harrison and Vickers the ball ALOT more than they do.

Send in that huge line and run it down their throat for a while and make the defensive work hard for the tackles.

Or we could just run three WR screen/WTF passes to Cribbs that go for 3 inches at a time, and punt... That makes the defense sweat and breath hard

This is what I hear everybody say, yet the only time I see Harrison get in the game is on 3rd down in a shotgun formation where he stays in and trys to block. If he sucks at blocking and the coaches know this then why on earth is he sent in to block?

If you are NEVER going to run him out of the backfield on a passing route, send Vickers in to stand by the QB for christ sake...

I'm with the OP on this one. I watched him on his second carry, take the ball toward the sideline and get cut off by the defense, yet made one move and dove forward for positive yards instead of tap dancing around for the loss.

Send in that huge line and run it down their throat for a while and make the defensive work hard for the tackles.

Or we could just run three WR screen/WTF passes to Cribbs that go for 3 inches at a time, and punt... That makes the defense sweat and breath hard

Really that big of deal let jaamal block and let harrison run lewis will not be here next year so what if he blows uup

129 yds on 29 carries! Let me repeat that ONE HUNDRED and TWENTY-NINE YARDS on 29 CARRIES! That is what Jerome Harrison did the the vaunted Bengels earlier in the year as the Browns gave them everything they wanted!

Present day Jerome Harrison carried the ball, ready, wait for it, 2 f&)(kin carries for 3 yrds. What the heck dude! He is the only guy to have a hundred yrd day against the bungles in what 20 some games.

Talk about getting Blackballed the guy does great things with the ball everytime he touches it. Is perfectly healthy behind a guy that is long past his prime and will not be coming back next year.

1. Mangini doesn't want to see another romeo/crennel guy blow up and carry the load.

2. Mangini is mad at Jamal Lewis for talking out against him and getting praise for it, Jerome says something along the lines that he isnt happy and he isnt going to comment on it and mangini benches him. For What missing a block yea right. Like Mangini has the balls to sit Lewis prob get beat up.

Harrison could be a playmaker but there is no way that anyone including this moron can even tell that. Check his college stats he was a monster.

College stats are about as useful as high school stats. All they do is get scouts to come and look at you. Once they do, they determine your draft position and skill set. But all stats get you is a few more looks and maybe a Butch Davis, Al Davis, or Phil Savage will get a boner for you and take you way too high and your out of the league in 3 years. So don't put too much stock in college stats. In fact, put no stock in college stats. That's why "monsters" in college often disappear at the NFL level or don't make it at all. But once you make it to the NFL college is ancient history. The NFL is a different sport completely.

With that said. Harrison is a role player and that is it. Jamal gets carries because he is the least likely of the 3 to make a mistake and on a team with players this bad, you can't afford one more missed blitz pickup, fumble, or dropped pass. Lewis is the safe bet and Harrison will never be a feature back in the NFL. Jennings? Maybe. He runs like its his last game and he is very patient for a young RB. He is more comfortable with contact than JH. AND HE DOESN'T FUMBLE. I'm not saying JH does but when you look at Jennings style and speed and throw in the fact that he holds onto the ball, I say he's an upgrade over JH.

Of course, we need to uprgrade this position all around and J. Davis' injury makes things tough for us in the offseason because now we have no idea what he will offer next year. But, when I look at our 3 RBs I'm going Lewis, Jennings, and the Harrison. He's fun to watch I guess, but he's a role player.

Harrison is in there on passing downs as a check down option and tool to keep LBs honest. You don't want Vickers back there because no LB is going to hesitate to blitz because Vickers may leak out and scorch you. Harrison's role is to give the defense one more very minor thing to consider on 3rd and 6 and perhaps buy the QB and extra second to look over the field and that's all he is good for.

And I really can't believe you said to give Harrison and Vickers the ball more.

I don't get the infatuation with Harrison. He's averaging 3.8 yards with his attempts this season. Two coaching regimes now have given him sparing playing time. When he started getting more time at the end of last season, QBs started falling like dominoes.

The kid is fast, I like the way he hits the hole, but he's easier to get to go down than a chubby majorette after a homecoming dance. Both Grossi and Jim Donovan said that he was very slow to recover from the Bengals game during the next practice week. 20+ carries in the NFL is too much for his frame. I have nothing against small backs, but his build is more Metcalf than it is the Pocket Hercules.

Optimally, for him, I think it would be about 10-15 touches. But every time he goes down in the open field on an arm tackle I just think "wow, what would Cribbs have done with that opportunity"?

One thing I'll say . . . I don't think any team feared us attacking the edge with Lewis. Harrison, at least, makes teams think we might try. He should get some reps in the final 5 with Lewis out of the picture. I expect very little.

Dude, what is the post all about? With the amount of NFL film on Harrison and his absence of scandal, do you really think he can be blackballed? He is a solid NFL player, and nobody would fall for that. What are you talking about?

Harrison is in there on passing downs as a check down option and tool to keep LBs honest. You don't want Vickers back there because no LB is going to hesitate to blitz because Vickers may leak out and scorch you. Harrison's role is to give the defense one more very minor thing to consider on 3rd and 6 and perhaps buy the QB and extra second to look over the field and that's all he is good for.

And I really can't believe you said to give Harrison and Vickers the ball more.

Nah, your right, lets just feed Jamal the ball more, instead of the guy that put up 130 yards the last time we face the same team.

That makes more sense. You know we aren't really trying to win the game, so lets bench the guy that moved the ball last time. Let's play for that loss so we can get stuck with the #1 draft choice and not be able to trade down out of it.

Our offense is lighting up the field all over the place using the players we have, so there really is no sense in wasting plays and time trying to find other players on the roster that can make something happen. Our passing game is great and it keeps the offense on the field for a long time and gives our defense a chance to rest up. Running the ball and tiring out their defense makes no sense.

Nah lets just ride this vehicle deeper and deeper into the black hole by doing the exact same things we have been doing.

Ya, Harrison isn't going to be a feature back in this league you'll get no argument from me there, so just give him his two touches a game and put him on ice. On that thought, the Chargers that are coming into town might as well cut Darren Sproles now. He can't carry the load for a full game, so dump him.

Ah yes, and Harrison might scare me as a linebacker on the 3rd down play you mentioned, if he EVER released and leaked out of the backfield. I'll I'm going to see him as is a 180 pound speed bump on my way to the QB.

I've watched Vickers release out of the backfield and make better catches than our great WR core. Then run over 2 CB's after the catch. Not to mention the fact that if I'm a linebacker, I'm going to at least have to make a move to get by Vickers, because there is no way I'm going to bull rush him.

Nah, your right, lets just feed Jamal the ball more, instead of the guy that put up 130 yards the last time we face the same team.

That makes more sense. You know we aren't really trying to win the game, so lets bench the guy that moved the ball last time. Let's play for that loss so we can get stuck with the #1 draft choice and not be able to trade down out of it.

Our offense is lighting up the field all over the place using the players we have, so there really is no sense in wasting plays and time trying to find other players on the roster that can make something happen. Our passing game is great and it keeps the offense on the field for a long time and gives our defense a chance to rest up. Running the ball and tiring out their defense makes no sense.

Nah lets just ride this vehicle deeper and deeper into the black hole by doing the exact same things we have been doing.

Ya, Harrison isn't going to be a feature back in this league you'll get no argument from me there, so just give him his two touches a game and put him on ice. On that thought, the Chargers that are coming into town might as well cut Darren Sproles now. He can't carry the load for a full game, so dump him.

Ah yes, and Harrison might scare me as a linebacker on the 3rd down play you mentioned, if he EVER released and leaked out of the backfield. I'll I'm going to see him as is a 180 pound speed bump on my way to the QB.

I've watched Vickers release out of the backfield and make better catches than our great WR core. Then run over 2 CB's after the catch. Not to mention the fact that if I'm a linebacker, I'm going to at least have to make a move to get by Vickers, because there is no way I'm going to bull rush him.

I understand you want to try other guys because the one's in there are terrible but Harrison isn't the answer for any team, anywhere. With a team with ZERO playmakers, you just have to play the guys who make the least amount of mistakes and hope you get a break or two in a game. Harrison has a chance to make a play but its not a good enough chance to make you play a guy who is likely to miss a block or put the ball on the ground.

Best reply to this post tho vickers is hardly ever seen anymore and harrison is about 205. For those worried about his ypc this year has really brot thos numbers down

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't to far off was i guys! you know it to be true

not bad for a change of pace back or a scat back huh? :lol:

Wasn't to far off was i guys! you know it to be true

not bad for a change of pace back or a scat back huh? :lol:

After watching JC's locker room interview, I believe there is some underlying tension between Mangini and Harrison. When Cribbs was asked if they were playing hard in order to save their coach he said "Yeah. The system works.....It's all about trusting in your coaches. Let them coach". But when Harrison was asked the same question, he kind of skirted away from answering it. He said something about playing for themselves, but he never came out and said anything about trying to keep Mangini around. I don't necessarily believe that is why he was benched, I do believe it was because of his blocking (or lack thereof), but it doesn't seem like Harrison is too happy with Mangini, either.

After watching JC's locker room interview, I believe there is some underlying tension between Mangini and Harrison. When Cribbs was asked if they were playing hard in order to save their coach he said "Yeah. The system works.....It's all about trusting in your coaches. Let them coach". But when Harrison was asked the same question, he kind of skirted away from answering it. He said something about playing for themselves, but he never came out and said anything about trying to keep Mangini around. I don't necessarily believe that is why he was benched, I do believe it was because of his blocking (or lack thereof), but it doesn't seem like Harrison is too happy with Mangini, either.

how can he be by all rights he should of gotten first crack at the starting rb position and a alot sooner than this year

how can he be by all rights he should of gotten first crack at the starting rb position and a alot sooner than this year

True. He hasn't been consistent by any means, but he still possesses the ability to break open big runs. This season he's been like DA. When he's good, he's really good, and when he's bad, he's really bad. Only, when JC is bad, he doesn't throw interceptions. JC should have been playing a lot more, Lewis should have never seen the field this year.

I can't wait to see Davis when he comes back.

Watch some of the early Browns game from this year and watch Harrison picking up the blitz..He wasn't and getting QB's stuck!..he was an unwilling blocker and Mangini had the balls to bench his ass until he commited to being a total back..which means doing everything not just some things..Apparently he came around.watch him pass block now..That shows Mangini is coaching the right way..Do it right consistently and you play..Don't you won't//Good for Harrison, he's a better NFL player thanks to coach Mangini.

Watch some of the early Browns game from this year and watch Harrison picking up the blitz..He wasn't and getting QB's stuck!..he was an unwilling blocker and Mangini had the balls to bench his ass until he commited to being a total back..which means doing everything not just some things..Apparently he came around.watch him pass block now..That shows Mangini is coaching the right way..Do it right consistently and you play..Don't you won't//Good for Harrison, he's a better NFL player thanks to coach Mangini.

I have to agree. I've always said Harrison should see more touches, but the blocking wasnt there. You see the potential in him, and get him to perform as a complete back. Thats what I saw yesterday. However you look at it, that comes from coaching... and you have to tip your hat off to Mangini for that one. I will say this, we have three young talented backs that if we put them in a position to succeed, develop them to full potential... Harrison, Davis and Jennings is a trio that is scary. Of course we'll have to wait till next year to see exactly how good this new running regime will be.

^+1

should have taken a knee.....he gave them a chance to tie it.....

it was a nice game, but is probably an anomaly.

I thought the same way at the time, and theoretically Chiefs could have scored a TD, then went for 2 to go for the win (Shanahan style), but I mean there's no guarantee we'd have scored, you never know what could have happened, what if he fumbled it the next play? What if Quinn threw it and intercepted it? What if they screwed up a FG? etc, I think it was fine.

Archived