THE BROWNS BOARD

Shoppach traded to Rays

CIMO.

For a player to be named later (by December 20).

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ch_to_rays.html

I remember last year I was begging for Ricky Nolasco, it will be interesting to see who we get after his (Shoppach's) stock dropped this season.

The Rays have a few good starters, and gave up Kazmir for nothing trying to cut costs. How nice would it be to take Shields or Garza off their hands? :unsure:

For a player to be named later (by December 20).

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...ch_to_rays.html

I remember last year I was begging for Ricky Nolasco, it will be interesting to see who we get after his (Shoppach's) stock dropped this season.

The Rays have a few good starters, and gave up Kazmir for nothing trying to cut costs. How nice would it be to take Shields or Garza off their hands? :unsure:

Be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it was a major league player, it would probably be a done deal.

The 3 week delay probably means we have a list of 3-4 players in their farm system and are given the time to review scouting reports etc. before selecting the player.

I can't see any real reason why you would delay things that long to name a player on the Rays 25 man roster....it's someone on the 40 or lower.

Be a good place to start looking....and not at the top 3-4 guys....if you ranked them 1-40....Kelly brings a guy in the 39-40 range, and guys out of the top 5 prospects of the non-rostered players

JMO, as little as it's worth

Be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If it was a major league player, it would probably be a done deal.

The 3 week delay probably means we have a list of 3-4 players in their farm system and are given the time to review scouting reports etc. before selecting the player.

I can't see any real reason why you would delay things that long to name a player on the Rays 25 man roster....it's someone on the 40 or lower.

Be a good place to start looking....and not at the top 3-4 guys....if you ranked them 1-40....Kelly brings a guy in the 39-40 range, and guys out of the top 5 prospects of the non-rostered players

JMO, as little as it's worth

Agreed. Just wishful thinking before they announce it's a hard-throwing right handed reliever in double-A.

Jake McGee

Never heard of him, just looked him up and he seems to fit that bill. Coming off TJ surgery, no less. Good call, Peen.

Agreed. Just wishful thinking before they announce it's a hard-throwing right handed reliever in double-A.

It might be more than that....it could be a 40 man guy...Kelly has some worth. He can be a good MLB catcher. I don't think the value has dropped as much as you might think.

The deal with catchers is you still have many teams....the ones in the know IMO....who still feel defensive skills outweigh offensive skills.

For me, I don't care if the guy can hit .210 if he can work a staff, block a ball, throw out runners and can take 130 games behind the plate.....if you can't win with that, it's not your catchers fault.

I agree somewhat, but I don't really think that applies to Kelly. He's never seemed too reliable behind the plate and has a pretty so-so arm. I think the only reason teams would be looking at him and the Rays got him is for his bat, where he can be one of the most productive catchers in the League despite the strikeouts, especially against lefties.

In terms of pure value, given his talent, teammates (Marson, eventually Santana) and contract status (Shapiro probably would've let him walk without thinking much of it), I think a Jess Todd type prospect would be about right. But since he plays a premium position there might've been a bit of a bidding war, or the Rays just making their best offer first.

Either way I think it comes down to big upside (ie Perez) or close to big league readiness (ie Yohan Pino).

Or James Shields.

• 3 weeks later...

Mitch Talbot it is. 26 year-old right handed starter, no options remaining. Lastoria has all the info you need, here's the conclusion.

Not a Talbot Fan: I’ll be honest, I am not a fan of what the Indians received in this trade at all. I am sure a high percentage of Indians fans feel the same way too. Talbot is just so bland and has so little upside, not to mention he makes an already crowded pitching situation even more crowded with guys who need to make the 25-man roster out of spring or risk being lost. The Indians already have left-hander Jeremy Sowers out of options and need to see if Rule 5 pick right-hander Hector Ambriz can stick, so now they have a third pitcher added to the mix for what looks like one open roster spot in the bullpen. When you have too many choices to choose from, it increases your chance you make a mistake and keep the wrong guy and let the right one go.

That all I said, the Indians and Rays essentially completed a deal to trade gunk for gunk. A guy we had no use for in Shoppach that we were going to non-tender that they could maybe use, in return for a guy they had no use for in Talbot and probably were going to designate for assignment at some point that we maybe can find a use for. While I am not happy with what we got in return, I do realize with Shoppach’s small trade value we weren’t getting much of anything of relevance in return anyway. So, I guess it’s better to get something rather than nothing for Shoppach had they non-tendered him as expected.

I still would have preferred to pick up a minor leaguer deeper in the Rays system who would offer the Indians much more long term control and some upside. Cruz was that other option, but he was a mid-level prospect at best and has a long way to go before he even establishes himself as much of a big league ready pitcher as Talbot. The key here is the Rays had the control in regard to selecting who the player to be named later would be, and in the end it appears the Indians got the guy they wanted.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2009...ot-indians.html

Archived