THE BROWNS BOARD

The 75 Mile Radius

The Gipper

Oh, well, given that a broadcast station's range is probably about what? 50 -75 miles, that means that the blackout radius is in actuality about 125-150 miles, fair to say? Do they broadcast blacked out Browns games in Columbus which is about 120-140 miles from Cleveland?

Unfortunately this is about right in certain markets. I don't know the exact distance but I can guarantee that it is beyond 140 miles when Charger games are blacked out. To the North of San Diego County is Orange County, followed by L.A. County. The Northern most part of S.D. County receives L.A. local broadcast which means that if the Chargers are blacked out, so is Orange and L.A. counties. So based in the way television broadcast intersect, if a Charger game game is blacked out, the closet place to watch would be Santa Barbara to the North, and Yuma to the East. The 75 mile Radius is B.S. What makes this rule even more Retarded is that international feeds are not affected. So being in San Diego I am about 25 from the Mexican border, which has all NFL broadcasts since they are on a different satellite provider.

Unfortunately this is about right in certain markets. I don't know the exact distance but I can guarantee that it is beyond 140 miles when Charger games are blacked out. To the North of San Diego County is Orange County, followed by L.A. County. The Northern most part of S.D. County receives L.A. local broadcast which means that if the Chargers are blacked out, so is Orange and L.A. counties. So based in the way television broadcast intersect, if a Charger game game is blacked out, the closet place to watch would be Santa Barbara to the North, and Yuma to the East. The 75 mile Radius is B.S. What makes this rule even more Retarded is that international feeds are not affected. So being in San Diego I am about 25 from the Mexican border, which has all NFL broadcasts since they are on a different satellite provider.

It seems to me that by this rule, if a Browns game would be blacked out, then even say a Pittsburgh station could not air a Browns game because their signal would cross into the Browns 75 mile blackout area.

Normally you would think that a Browns fan in Youngstown could get the Browns game from a Pittsburgh station, but apparently not under these rules?

If we have any Youngstown people on board here, what stations does your local cable network provide to you? Stations out of Cleveland? Stations out of Peetown? Some of each?

It seems to me that by this rule, if a Browns game would be blacked out, then even say a Pittsburgh station could not air a Browns game because their signal would cross into the Browns 75 mile blackout area.

Normally you would think that a Browns fan in Youngstown could get the Browns game from a Pittsburgh station, but apparently not under these rules?

If we have any Youngstown people on board here, what stations does your local cable network provide to you? Stations out of Cleveland? Stations out of Peetown? Some of each?

That is what I have been saying...if the Cleveland signal is to be blacked out in the 75 mile radius, and people inside that radius can pick up another signal, that signal falls under the blackout rule as well.

I can't think of many more ways to explain this...I have tried on 2-3 different occasion inside this thread.

Well, if the game's blacked out, we'll find out the answer Sunday. The father-in law lives in Toledo. May have changed in the last 40 years- but IIRC, the '64 Championship game was blacked out in Cleveland, but not in Toledo.

I agree, as I watched it there as well, but to the best of my recall, the picture was poor because you had to tune in ch 7 which was a Detroit station. Toledo stations couldn't carry it because it's broadcast would hit inside the Cleveland market...Detroit station generally don't, though I do know every once in a blue moon the planets would align and you could pick up an occasional Detroit signal in Cleveland.

Within 75 miles of what? Do you mean Cincy? Dayton is most definitely not within a 75 mile radius of Cleveland, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was included in the blackout list, as it's a secondary market.

Dayton is officially declared a secondary Bengals market by WHIO, but they do try to show Browns games if they're not playing at the same time as the Bengals. I write to WHIO Dayton CBS 7, quite often... WKRC Cincinnati CBS 12 hates the Browns, and will usually only show them when they are playing the Bengals. I'm pretty sure Dayton 7 will be broadcasting the Browns game. The Chargers / Browns game is on their programming schedule, but that doesn't guarentee anything.

That is what I have been saying...if the Cleveland signal is to be blacked out in the 75 mile radius, and people inside that radius can pick up another signal, that signal falls under the blackout rule as well.

I can't think of many more ways to explain this...I have tried on 2-3 different occasion inside this thread.

OK, OK we got it. Just trying to apply it in a practical situation. Essentially, it means that stations in Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus, cannot air a Browns blacked out game.

Archived