THE BROWNS BOARD

Move Williams Inside

ClevelandFanForLife

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...y-in-cleveland/

Corey Williams not happy in Cleveland

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 3, 2009 9:48 AM ET

When former Browns G.M. Phil Savage acquired defensive lineman Corey Williams from the Packers for a second-round pick, most observers hailed the move as a win-win.

The Browns haven't won.

Williams was coming off an impressive seven sack season with Green Bay, but wanted a new contract. Cleveland is paying him like a premier lineman -- the Browns owe him $23 million in the first three years of his contract -- but Williams is producing like a fringe player. He has 16 tackles and two sacks this year as a 3-4 defensive end and plays limited snaps.

He wants to play as an interior lineman again.

"I know I could turn some heads inside," Williams said. "That's what I do. That's who I am. I know I could go anywhere and start. I just love being down on the inside because stuff happens more quickly. Out there on that end, stuff happens slow and I don't like that."

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer suggests Williams could ask for a trade, but that may not be easy for the Browns to pull off considering his salary. His play in 2008 wasn't much better than this year.

"I haven't been happy about it since day one," Williams said, regarding his playing time. "I'm not going to go all the way into it about how I feel about it, but I haven't been happy at all."

This feeling is going around in Cleveland.

Why wouldn't we move Williams inside now that Rodgers is out? Let the guy get in there and show us what he can do. He is playing out of position and should be given a chance to move inside. He is a monster and can do a lot up the middle. I forget who we are going to play at nose tackle for the rest of the season but Williams should be there or at least be splitting time. Does anyone know a reason why he isn't at nose tackle yet?

Well the main reason was cuz shaun rodgers had the starting spot on lockdown. Now that he's out, I wouldn't mind letting williams try out the position. He could split time with the backup Rubin. Put him in and see what he can do. What do we got to lose???

exactly. i have no problem with williams not getting time because rodgers was dominant. what will it hurt to put him in there? make it happen can't-gini.

Archived