THE BROWNS BOARD

Our NEXT 1st Rd Pick Could Be Playing Today

Flugel

Damn you Flugel! I woke up today a little foggy from last nights Cavs game with some of the sic fella's on here. Facing getting prepared for tomorrow's blow-out tailgate party and considering blowing off the early college football games ... then this post comes along and now I have more of an itch to watch all the games than do my tailgate chores!

Good stuff, Thanks!

Thanks Stan! I would have rather been there giving you guys the drunk version of this. Hope you guys are having a great time this weekend!

Back to the prospects stuff. Can you believe the outings of alot of those kids?

Suh - 4.5 sacks and more than 7 tackles behind the line of scrimmage against the Big 12 Champs? YOWSA! His presence would be better than Santa's presents in Cleveland. We could bury the 3-4 and have him side by side with Rogers (if he stays). I'm so freakin sick of a 3-4 we've never been able to draft for. 3 mediocre LBers are better than 4 especially if you have a man named Suh and another man with the footwork and last name of Ginger Rogers next to him keeping linemen off the 3 backers. Folks, if you haven't heard that song "A Boy named Sue" by Johnny's Cash - Google that sucker. You'll love it - I promise!!!

Spiller - If it wasn't for the goal line on 4 of his carries, that 233 yards thing prolly would have been about 300 yards. 4 TDs in a championship game says you got serious game son! The chronic foot/toe injury thing might worry some scouts but I think he shattered Bush's all purpose yardage record a week or 2 ago inspite of it. A RB named Greg Pruitt was the bait that landed the hook in my mouth to follow this franchise in the first place. Until I saw his excitement - my dad's Jim Brown and Otto Graham stories were going in 1 ear and flying out the other at warped speed. I need ANOTHER Greg Pruitt to remind me what I fell love with about a franchise with a storied tradition at RB.

McCoy - Wasn't PRETTY per say, but his job is to WIN and that's what he was able to do. If that wasn't an impressive comeback for his doubters - archive his comeback from our bad memories vrs Ohio State. He WINS just like Vince Young has ALWAYS done inspite of people badmouthing the pretty of pass. Screw that, extend the play - and move the chains for God Sakes. The clumsy scum bag in Pittsburgh does that all the time with the margin of error his defense has benefitted him over the years.

Keenum - Holy snappin arsens! Still doubt he'd be #1 but I have to admit he impresses me. More than 500 yards and 1 TD pass per every 100 yards? Even better, his favorite receiver's last name is Cleveland. The kid already LIKES Cleveland folks!

Other notable performances from some WRs (hard to draft this position early first rd - see Matt Millen's GM headstone or count how many good seasons Braylon had here):

1.) Gilyard - Not only went over 100 yards receivign and scored TDs in the passing game but retrned a kickoff 99 yards for a TD. Biggest play guy on the Big East Champs.

2.) James Cleveland - 19 receptions for 241 yards and 3 TDs. Can you say "Go Cleveland!?"

Again, Eric Berry didn't play yesterday but Monte Kiffen says he's gonna be a star at the next level. Seeing that Kiffen was a DC and defensive coach for years with Tampa - I trust his insights about the transferability of skills, passion, instincts and just plain ole talent.

- Tom F.

boy named SUh..haha that i GREAT

again..SUH Berry or CJ SPiller.

That order..some are afraid to grab CJ as high as the browns draft...in all honesty i LOVE Joe Thomas..but wanted Adrian Peterson...i dont care how half ass our line is and would have been...that dude makes it happen..and since NOW..or line is a RT away (should be) draft the damn RB we have needed for years and years

Suh would play end in a 3-4. He's not a nose tackle.

Good point Alo. That's why I put NT/DT because I never know what to call our downlinemen on the edge of our 3/4. They're sort of a combination of DE and DT expected to play 2 gap and still don't know what to call their position. I agree with what you say about Suh if he came to us. He'd prolly be pegged to play out on the edge of our downline unless of course we considered doing the 4-3 thing. I will say this though - Suh STRONG enough to offer up the flexibility to play NT if Rogers were to return and get hurt again. Aside from that, Corey Williams hasn't made me happy and Robaire isn't gettign any younger. Suh is about the strongest guy I've seen inside in a 3 point stance in quite some time

I LOVE our options with the 1st pick between Spiller, Berry and Suh. I imagine I'll change my favorite flavors a couple hundred times in the process.

- Tom F.

Suh definitely is strong. And just unbelievably good.

It was an interesting to see again last night how much McCoy struggles when the other team shuts down Shipley. In part, that's due to Texas' other receivers being raw and inexperienced, but it's also a reflection of McCoy's struggles going through his reads. There was one play where Shipley fell down on his route, so McCoy lobbed a pick to the other side of the field. Just ugly.

I've tried to like McCoy. And to be fair, he's had an incredible game or two this year (the A&M game comes to mind). But I just don't see an NFL QB, or at least a guy who'll become one within the next 2-3 years.

He needs to get bigger and stronger. But his bigger limitation is that the system he's been playing in hasn't prepared him to run an NFL offense. Of the spread quarterback prospects, he might be the least NFL-ready (except for Tebow, if he counts).

Could he be the next Drew Brees? Perhaps. But I don't see it.

Good point Alo. That's why I put NT/DT because I never know what to call our downlinemen on the edge of our 3/4. They're sort of a combination of DE and DT expected to play 2 gap and still don't know what to call their position. I agree with what you say about Suh if he came to us. He'd prolly be pegged to play out on the edge of our downline unless of course we considered doing the 4-3 thing. I will say this though - Suh STRONG enough to offer up the flexibility to play NT if Rogers were to return and get hurt again. Aside from that, Corey Williams hasn't made me happy and Robaire isn't gettign any younger. Suh is about the strongest guy I've seen inside in a 3 point stance in quite some time

I LOVE our options with the 1st pick between Spiller, Berry and Suh. I imagine I'll change my favorite flavors a couple hundred times in the process.

- Tom F.

tHAT DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE WAS incredible.....wOW JuST WOW!!!! SUH,was channeling Reggie white...that is the only comparison that fits in my eyes....he is that good!

CAN WE JUST CALL HIM KONG from now on

Trade corey Williams and draft SUH or just convert back to the 4-3 ( this dumb experiment is wearing me thin) can you imaging....SUH, ROGERS Wimbley and Veikune with mosely, robaire Williams and bowens as backup....

draft a fking real LINEBACKER in the second then go offense with three thirds rounders, go safety and corner with 4th and three 5th's(and get lucky) get QB next year.....RT in FA...yikes

I agree that we need to go back to the 4-3. The 3-4 works for some teams but just has never panned out for us. Im soo tired of seeing us blitz with our weak lbs and them just get stopped every single time. We need to get a big body that can cause chaos in Suh we trust!!!!! It would be nice to have 2 #1's to get Suh and Spiller. But we still do have Davis that should come back next season. As i stated before there is a few FA RB's out there that we could move on: Caddy williams, Darren Sproles.

Suh definitely is strong. And just unbelievably good.

It was an interesting to see again last night how much McCoy struggles when the other team shuts down Shipley. In part, that's due to Texas' other receivers being raw and inexperienced, but it's also a reflection of McCoy's struggles going through his reads.

Great points. Aside from Texas & Oklahoma, this was the first legit defense I've seen in that Big 12 so I'm sure the culture shock Nebraska's front line presented made life miserable enough for McCoy to see a foreshadowing on the drastic change ahead.

I don't think I'd want McCoy with our first pick. That said, I DO think the kid warrants a bigger body of work to assess than just the Nebraska game. I'm pretty certain all top QBs would have struggled wearing Suh on their jersey all night. And McCoy is an athlete with agility who can motor or elude pressure when need be too. I think he'd make a decent first round pick for the right team and that ain't us IMO. He was pretty clutch vrs Ohio State 1 year ago and he also beat Oklahoma. In fact, the kid seems like he's won about 90% of his starts. I hear what you say about McCoy's top receiver which reminds of a pro Qb that once struggled in similar circumstances. Consider this: did Peyton Manning look any different when NE used to take away Marvin Harrison in the post seasons outdoors? 1 time Manning only scored 3 points at NE when that was the case. That reality also led to additions of Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez in round 1 on draft days to follow. Now there's options. Guys like Steve Young and Doug Williams went from forgettable QBing to memorable QBing when they had options.

I hope we don't even consider Clausen. There's a kid that locks onto his primary target as soon as they break the huddle. There's just somethign about that kid's play I can't warm-up to. I've seen Golden Tate turn alot of YUCK into YAC with outrageous skill and blessed athletics/speed. Speaking of which, Golden Tate is also going to be in the top half of round 1 in 2010. Let's just hope these underclassmen don't cause Eric Berry to return to school. Look what's happened at USC to underclassmen that returned to school for senior years (Leinart, Mays and Rey). All 3 of them would have been drafted higher if they came out after their junior seasons.

- Tom F.

I don't know about you guys, but after watching that Cinci/Pitt game, I gotta say that Im getting high on Tony Pike. They were down 31-17 at half and came back and won it with 45-44! You could just tell on that last drive by Pike that he was gonna get a score. His comeback was almost (dare I say) Manning-esque. If there's one thing I love about this kid, its that he can close out games. Now Im not saying we should take him with our high 1st rounder. But If he's available around the 25-30 range, I'd say we should trade up for him cuz I don't think he will make it out of the first round.

Also a heads up to Marty Gilyard, he was almost uncoverable today

Couple of things to keep in mind about Pike before you get too jacked up about the kid- he's hurt his non-throwing wrist twice, (the first time badly). Is he a "system" qb? Takes a lot of shotgun snaps. Colt Brennan put up ungodly numbers at Hawaii, and is now nowhere to be seen. Has a good, but not great arm (similar to Quinn). A lot of the competition was suspect- if he lights up Florida, and has a great Senior Bowl, you might get me to change my mind. :)

Im not a huge fan on getting a QB high. We got Quinn right now who can be servicable. If we need to we can pick up a vet and take a chance on a qb in the latter rounds. This a very deep qb class this year: Pike, McCoy, Bradford, Clausen, LeFevour, Keenum to name a few.

And also remeber that 3 teams drafted QB's in the 1st round and will not be in the market for a QB in this draft. With all this tallent we can wait to the latter rounds and get real value.

why would we go back to the 4-3? thats a college defense, suffice to say. the big boys rock the 3-4...

of the top 10 defenses, 5 are 3-4 and 5 are 4-3 defenses. 4 of the top5, are 3-4's......

we have a good 3-4 schemer now.....lets get him the personnel to run it properly.

why would we go back to the 4-3? thats a college defense, suffice to say. the big boys rock the 3-4...

of the top 10 defenses, 5 are 3-4 and 5 are 4-3 defenses. 4 of the top5, are 3-4's......

we have a good 3-4 schemer now.....lets get him the personnel to run it properly.

and to my mind Suh would be the prototypical 3-4 DE, he's fast enough to even play some OLB.

Archived