THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is in the driver's seat for the #1 pick?

MrFreeze

I'm sure I could spend time researching this but I figured someone on the board knows the rules. If we lose out, and so does Tampa Bay and St. Louis, who gets the #1 pick?

Does common opponents have anything to do with it? St. Louis beat Detroit, who beat us. Tampa Bay beat Green bay, who also beat us in case it makes a difference.

I'm sure I could spend time researching this but I figured someone on the board knows the rules. If we lose out, and so does Tampa Bay and St. Louis, who gets the #1 pick?

Does common opponents have anything to do with it? St. Louis beat Detroit, who beat us. Tampa Bay beat Green bay, who also beat us in case it makes a difference.

I understand from last year that is solely based on strength of schedule. Even head to head doesn't work. Last year with the 4-12 record the Browns were tied with a team that had defeated them, and the thinking was that we should have gotten the higher draft pick because of the head to head loss. But no, that other team, I can't recall who, got the higher pick because our opponents combined record was better than their opponent's combined records.

The Browns hold all the cards if they "lose out"

If the three teams finished in a three-way tie for the worst record in the league, Tampa Bay would have the third overall pick, based on opponents’ strength of schedule.

The Buccaneers’ opponents have a .556 winning percentage _ the highest of the three _ while St. Louis’ opponents are .545 and Cleveland’s at .534, meaning the Browns would obtain the overall No.1 pick and the Rams the second overall pick.

Because technically speaking, the Browns would have won only one game against the easiest schedule of the three.

http://bucshots.blogs.heraldtribune.com/11...1-overall-pick/

So the question then becomes, if you have the #1 pick what do you do with it and how do you use it?

That's a question that hinges on who the next GM is... just as long as Mangini isn't making the decision as I could easilly see him trading the #1 pick to the Jets for Vernon Gholston and some Magic Beans.

The Browns hold all the cards if they "lose out"

http://bucshots.blogs.heraldtribune.com/11...1-overall-pick/

So the question then becomes, if you have the #1 pick what do you do with it and how do you use it?

That's a question that hinges on who the next GM is... just as long as Mangini isn't making the decision as I could easilly see him trading the #1 pick to the Jets for Vernon Gholston and some Magic Beans.

Totally conceivable that the Browns, Bucs, and Rams could all lose out. If we lose out pray for the Ravens, Steelers and Lions to all keep losing right along with us. Tampa gets screwed by virtue of playing the undefeated Saints on SOS.

If the Browns wind up with the #1 pick, it's ano brainer and it's Suh from Nebraska.

If the Browns wind up with the #1 pick, it's ano brainer and it's Suh from Nebraska.

I might not say it is a no brainer, but Suh is the top player this year.

The only real option I see is if we hold #1 is if we can convince #2 we are taking Suh...the player they want and manage a trade dropping 1 slot so we can pick up Berry.

I would like Suh, but a second rounder and Berry would be a pretty solid consolation. Especially when you consider that Pool is probably done.

But to drop more than 1 slot would mean we would lose out on the top two players...I am not sure how much i would demand to do that.

It wouldn't be cheap and probably wouldn't be viewed as realistic by another team.

A safety, while a high need, is not worth a top 10 pick. You can’t pay a safety that kind of money, when you still need the all-important shut-down corner. I doubt the Browns take Berry. Suh, I can see. But I’d rather see a trade down to pick up a RT or RB.

Yeah to drop from #1 to #2 would take a hell of a lot more than just a second round pick, especially over a player like Suh who is clearly the top prospect and will go to Tampa 100% if we don't take him. It would have to be a Ricky Williams-type deal to get done (multiple picks including next year's #1).

Yeah to drop from #1 to #2 would take a hell of a lot more than just a second round pick, especially over a player like Suh who is clearly the top prospect and will go to Tampa 100% if we don't take him. It would have to be a Ricky Williams-type deal to get done (multiple picks including next year's #1).

I wasn't trying to equal it out on a trade chart, so calm down fellas, that isn't the point to debate....whatever teams felt was fair works for me...

As to Berry, I don't think ravens fans would care today had Ed Reed been picked much earlier than he was...based on what he was done, he would have been worth the 1st pick.

I don't care about the money so much as compared to what the guy is going to be doing for you 3-4-5 years down the road.

Nobody cared what Tim Couch made because as a qb he was viewed as being worth the money...well....I submit to you that was money wasted.

Did a little research. Here is a list of the best safeties I could think of off the top of my head, year drafted, and draft position:

Jon Lynch, 1993, 3rd round (82nd overall)

Eric Turner, 1991, 2nd overall

Don Rogers, 1984, 18th overall

Ed Reed, 2002, 24th overall

Troy Polamalu, 2003, 16th overall

Ronnie Lott, 1981, 8th overall

Only one of these greats (ok, Don Rogers was my homer pick on this list, but by all accounts, he would have been a great if he didn't like the white powder too much) was drafted in the top 5. Only one was drafted outside the 1st round. In Eric Turner's case, he was bracketed by two shut-down corners in Dixon and Minnefield (actually I forget if these two retired prior to 1991.) Don Rogers was bracketed by them. Ed Reed always had at least one shut-down corner around him. Troy Polamalu is the abberation as far as a shut-down corner goes. Ronnie Lott also had shut-down corners around him.

Most experts will agree, to build a dynasty, you need a passer, runner, catcher, pass blocker, pass rusher, and a shut-down corner. Everything else can be good, but doesn't need to be great--tremendous at other positions is gravy. Granted, the Steelers and Ravens wouldn't have great defenses without the gravy of their pro-bowl safeties. But you need other things first. The Browns need Suh before Berry. And if they can't get Suh, then they need to look at other need positions over Berry in the top 10.

Archived