THE BROWNS BOARD

A Blessing.

TheClevelandSound

..i would rather have bragging rights on the Steelers for a whole offseaon than a better draft pick. Heres some hope to beating the teeth out of them on thursday:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4722075

PITTSBURGH -- Not only are the Steelers frustrated with their season-high four-game losing streak, but the defending champs are also ailing.

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said Monday that team captain and veteran receiver Hines Ward is "very questionable" with a hamstring injury for Thursday's game against the Cleveland Browns. Ward was injured late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

"We'll see where it goes, but it's not favorable for him," Tomlin said.

Starting cornerback William Gay also suffered a concussion and will go through a battery of tests. Considering the short week, it's likely Gay won't see the field on Thursday. Rookie cornerback Joe Burnett would start in Gay's place, according to Tomlin, along with fellow rookie Keenan Lewis seeing some playing time.

Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak. Pittsburgh (6-6) has to run the table in the final four games to keep its playoff hopes alive.

Tomlin isn't worried about how veterans on his team will respond if changes are made.

"They're pros," Tomlin said. "I think they understand it, and I think to a degree they'll agree with me. That's the nature of this thing. We can't stay status quo in terms of how we approach this thing and expect guys' behavior or the outcome to change. That's unrealistic.

"That's hoping and this is not a hope business. I'm not a hope-mentality person."

In other injury news, Steelers Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (knee) also is not expected to play Thursday. Starting running back Rashard Mendenhall (ankle) will be limited in practice this week but is expected to play.

And do you know how Gay got his concussion?? From his own teammate, Ryan Mundy. Mundy at the last second lowered his head to hit the receiver with the crown of his helmet as Gay was making the play on him. Unfortunately for Gay, Mundy missed and cold-cocked Gay right under the chin with the crown of his helmet. And no, I dont want any Steeler homos coming on here saying it wasn't intentional, because it was. It was unfortunate that it was Gay and not Mundy that got his bell rung. Had he come in with his shoulder, it would have been fine. But nope, he wanted to be spear-man for a play, which he probably learned from Tyrone Carter.

If we win Thursday the stoolers fans will cry we were injured. Boo Hoo! well they have more qualified players on their depth chart than we do. And we have had plenty of injuries this season. Heck we lost our starting RB in Jamal Lewis if he counts. (imo we upgraded the position)

So all of you stooler fags can come on here beforehand and tell us of all your pitiful woes. I am sure it will fall upon deafth ears.

Did you notice in the interview the chuckles from the reporters when talking about the Browns?

The Steelers could be without several starters on Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns because of injuries, including safety Troy Polamalu who is expected to miss his fourth straight game with a knee injury.

Cornerback William Gay suffered a concussion against the Raiders at Heinz Field on Sunday and will go through tests before he is given any type of green light to play.

“We’ll take him through the procedure we take guys through coming off a concussion,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “He will get a battery of tests, which will determine whether or not he is able to practice. If he is able to practice we’ll check him for levels of discomfort and see where it takes us here in the week.”

If Gay doesn’t play, rookie Joe Burnett will get the start and Deshea Townsend will remain in the dime defense. Rookie cornerback Keenan Lewis would also get more playing time.

“We want to see both of those guys,” said Tomlin. “They are young guys. We want to see both of those guys play.”

Wide receiver Hines Ward is a question mark for Thursday night as well with a hamstring injury, suffered when he made a catch on an out-route in the closing moments against the Raiders.

“He is going to be very questionable this week,” said Tomlin. “The hamstring is mild, but we are working on a very short week. We’ll see where it goes, but not favorable for him.”

If Ward doesn’t play, that leaves the Steelers with just three healthy wide receivers – Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and Limas Sweed – and they would consider signing another receiver before the game.

In other injury news quarterback Charlie Batch is going to get a soft cast and Tomlin is hopeful he will be able to participate in practice somewhat this week. Defensive end Travis Kirschke, who re-aggravated a calf strain causing him to miss the Raiders game, is expected to return to action against the Browns. Running back Rashard Mendenhall has minor swelling in his left ankle that will limit him in practice on Tuesday, but won’t prevent him from playing on Thursday.

Tomlin also said there are other bruises that need to heal, and they aren’t all physical.

“The other bumps and bruises are just that, including the emotional ones,” said Tomlin. “We’ll mend those as well and we better do it quickly because we have a game to play on Thursday night.

“You got to acknowledge the potential that this could be a shaken group. We swallowed a lot here of late. We’re going to have to become one with ourselves individually and collectively. I am going to be looking very closely at these men. It’s going to provide quality information for me in terms of who is legitimately mentally tough and who can stand the test of some adversity because we have some. And who is going to lead the charge more than anything of getting us out of this and winning a football game. I am going to be very interested in seeing who those people are and who they aren’t.”

http://steelers.com/article/115462/

Archived