THE BROWNS BOARD

New-Herald Article

peterbell

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

Had Eric Mangini in January or July said what he said on Monday, maybe frustrated fans wouldn't be as eager to run him out of town as they are now.

Mangini said he told Browns owner Randy Lerner it would take time to turn around the team he inherited, a message that had never been relayed directly to fans.

Lerner had to know before the first snap of training camp this was going to be a long, difficult season that would probably be filled with more losses than victories. The Phil Savage-Romeo Crennel pairing had one winning season (10-6 in 2007) in four years, and prior to that the Browns had back-to-back losing seasons in 2003 and 2004.

The Browns are 1-11, their worst record ever after 12 games. They finish the season with games against the Steelers on Thursday night at home, in Kansas City on Dec. 20, home against the Raiders on Dec. 27 and home against Jacksonville on Jan. 3.

"I believe in what we're doing wholeheartedly," Mangini said a day after the Browns lost to the Chargers, 30-23. "The outcome hasn't been what I've wanted. It hasn't been what anybody's wanted. But I also knew coming in here things don't happen overnight and you have to work at it and you make progress in different areas.

"That's something (Lerner) and I talked about coming in. I've been in a lot of different situations like this. To do it the right way takes time."

Mangini has talked about "the process" of building a winner repeatedly, but Monday was the first time he implied he told Lerner the record might get worse before it gets better.

The topic came up when Mangini was asked if it would be a hard sell to convince Lerner the team is headed in the right direction, despite seven straight losses. He was asked if he expects Lerner to stick with him next year, which would mean Lerner swimming against the tide of public opinion and heavy media criticism calling for Mangini's head.

"We share the same vision and understand it's not easy to build something that lasts and can compete year in and year out," Mangini said "But it's important to do it the right way, and there's no one set formula. There's no one set timeline. You have to come in and make good decisions every day. You have to commit to doing it the right way, and that's what we're committed to."

Lerner could not be reached for comment.

If he is able to construct the front office the way he envisions it, someone else will be making the decision on Mangini, anyway.

Lerner announced Nov. 1, about 15 minutes after the Browns were pummeled by the Bears, 30-6, that he is looking for a "serious, credible leader" to run the football operation. That person would hire a general manager, and the pair would decide whether to retain Mangini or replace him.

There is precedent for keeping a coach who won only one game his first year.

The Steelers were 1-13 in 1969, Chuck Noll's first year (the Steelers were 2-11-1 in 1968). Steelers owner Art Rooney resisted making a change. Noll ended up coaching the Steelers for 23 years, had a record of 209-156-1 and won four Super Bowls.

Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 with the Cowboys in 1989. He lasted only five years, but after that brutal start was 50-22 and won two Super Bowls.

The Browns have played hard for the most part all season. Some players say they do it for themselves and their teammates. They don't want to let each other down, and they don't want any tape of them being lazy to be used against them at contract time.

But Josh Cribbs said Mangini deserves some of the credit, too. The Browns are 0-4 since the bye. One of the losses was by nine points, one by seven and one by a point. The seven losses before the bye were by an average of 19.4 points.

"Coach Mangini is a family-oriented man, and the team is tight-knit," Cribbs said. "Guys act accordingly. We're always joking around. It's a family around here, no matter what our record is.

"It means a lot to these guys to play hard all the way to the end as a show of unity. We have good leaders. We stay together as a family, win or lose. We're learning how to lose right now. Hopefully, soon, we'll learn how to win."

By Jeff Schudel

JSchudel@News-Herald.com

Had Eric Mangini in January or July said what he said on Monday, maybe frustrated fans wouldn't be as eager to run him out of town as they are now.

Mangini said he told Browns owner Randy Lerner it would take time to turn around the team he inherited, a message that had never been relayed directly to fans.

Lerner had to know before the first snap of training camp this was going to be a long, difficult season that would probably be filled with more losses than victories. The Phil Savage-Romeo Crennel pairing had one winning season (10-6 in 2007) in four years, and prior to that the Browns had back-to-back losing seasons in 2003 and 2004.

The Browns are 1-11, their worst record ever after 12 games. They finish the season with games against the Steelers on Thursday night at home, in Kansas City on Dec. 20, home against the Raiders on Dec. 27 and home against Jacksonville on Jan. 3.

"I believe in what we're doing wholeheartedly," Mangini said a day after the Browns lost to the Chargers, 30-23. "The outcome hasn't been what I've wanted. It hasn't been what anybody's wanted. But I also knew coming in here things don't happen overnight and you have to work at it and you make progress in different areas.

"That's something (Lerner) and I talked about coming in. I've been in a lot of different situations like this. To do it the right way takes time."

Mangini has talked about "the process" of building a winner repeatedly, but Monday was the first time he implied he told Lerner the record might get worse before it gets better.

The topic came up when Mangini was asked if it would be a hard sell to convince Lerner the team is headed in the right direction, despite seven straight losses. He was asked if he expects Lerner to stick with him next year, which would mean Lerner swimming against the tide of public opinion and heavy media criticism calling for Mangini's head.

"We share the same vision and understand it's not easy to build something that lasts and can compete year in and year out," Mangini said "But it's important to do it the right way, and there's no one set formula. There's no one set timeline. You have to come in and make good decisions every day. You have to commit to doing it the right way, and that's what we're committed to."

Lerner could not be reached for comment.

If he is able to construct the front office the way he envisions it, someone else will be making the decision on Mangini, anyway.

Lerner announced Nov. 1, about 15 minutes after the Browns were pummeled by the Bears, 30-6, that he is looking for a "serious, credible leader" to run the football operation. That person would hire a general manager, and the pair would decide whether to retain Mangini or replace him.

There is precedent for keeping a coach who won only one game his first year.

The Steelers were 1-13 in 1969, Chuck Noll's first year (the Steelers were 2-11-1 in 1968). Steelers owner Art Rooney resisted making a change. Noll ended up coaching the Steelers for 23 years, had a record of 209-156-1 and won four Super Bowls.

Jimmy Johnson was 1-15 with the Cowboys in 1989. He lasted only five years, but after that brutal start was 50-22 and won two Super Bowls.

The Browns have played hard for the most part all season. Some players say they do it for themselves and their teammates. They don't want to let each other down, and they don't want any tape of them being lazy to be used against them at contract time.

But Josh Cribbs said Mangini deserves some of the credit, too. The Browns are 0-4 since the bye. One of the losses was by nine points, one by seven and one by a point. The seven losses before the bye were by an average of 19.4 points.

"Coach Mangini is a family-oriented man, and the team is tight-knit," Cribbs said. "Guys act accordingly. We're always joking around. It's a family around here, no matter what our record is.

"It means a lot to these guys to play hard all the way to the end as a show of unity. We have good leaders. We stay together as a family, win or lose. We're learning how to lose right now. Hopefully, soon, we'll learn how to win."

ive said all along keep mangini atleast one more year im not saying hes the answer but i am saying we dont know yet. mangini had a lot of bull shit to sort through this year lets see how we fair next year if at that point we do not see progress lets talk firing but one year with a team this shitty a decision just cant be made. the media influences public opinion a little too much. like the 1700 dollar fine for a bottle of water what they didnt tell you is that was the straw that broke the camels back he had multiple violations before that. i would say that the brain fart he had was not leaving quinn in there for the whole season he would be so much further along right now and i honeslty believe out record would have 2-3 more wins in it. i know you're gonna bitch and toss me to the wolves because this isnt popular opinion but starting fresh isnt something we want.

I don't see dumpling Mangini - that's just fans' frustration.

What I DON'T get, though, is the performance by Daboll. His play calling, and

staying with DA's pitiful performances so long is making me figure that Daboll

may have to be replaced. He doesn't get it. I thought he just got it, then in the

third quarter of the Chargers game, he relapsed. I believe the Browns had zero

yards passing in that third quarter, and they ran the WildDawg too much. Like, if a play works,

Daboll will just stupidly call the play again and again, until he sees that it's no longer surprising the defense... @@

I don't know. Getting rid of Mangini would be dumb...

but replacing Daboll would be smart, I think.

I'm not sure that a team can finish 3-13 or worse and not have someone lose their job. I think mangini deserves another season but he might have to make asjustments on the staff to keep his job.

Someone already did lose their job, Kokinis.

Well you mangini fags will get your wish...regardless of how much randy would love to atone for his horrible mistake and cut the maggot loose he cant...but i and others will torture you guys for the next 2 years as you all change your minds and pray for lerner to fire this walking disaster of a coach...

Yeah it takes time to turn things around ,but it takes much more time when the coach is doing everything backwards and the players get no joy from playing and only keep trying because their jobs are on the line..mangini has installed discipline but at the cost of the players letting loose ,playing to win and having fun...and did i mention at the cost of losing?

Well you mangini fags will get your wish...regardless of how much randy would love to atone for his horrible mistake and cut the maggot loose he cant...but i and others will torture you guys for the next 2 years as you all change your minds and pray for lerner to fire this walking disaster of a coach...

Yeah it takes time to turn things around ,but it takes much more time when the coach is doing everything backwards and the players get no joy from playing and only keep trying because their jobs are on the line..mangini has installed discipline but at the cost of the players letting loose ,playing to win and having fun...and did i mention at the cost of losing?

Fags? What are we in grade school? I know how how it goes, soon as someone feels threatened or belittled they resort to name calling. We all want the same thing that you want and that's for this team to win. Mangini had no idea who was good and who was bad on this team, he has to play REAL GAMES to figure out what positions need help and what positions are to be left alone. Im sorry but if you think ANY ONE PERSON could of came in here and took us to the playoff's this year you would be in for an even bigger let down. It's alway's easy to tell everyone else how to spend there money, espically when that money is in the millions isnt it? I would love to see how you would feel if someone came into your life telling you how to run your buisness, family, or all of the above.

Seriously dude..You have got to be under 16 years old or a socially mal-adjusted or something..Firstly you should be banned for calling any of us who support the coach a derogatory homo-phobic name.

I know you see the majority of this board either supporting Coach Mangini or at the least give him some time and its caused you to lose it

and spew this tiraid..Back away from the computer Gips.

i read your hate filled messages all the time and you are entitled to your opinion but seriously you need to show some respect and don't insult posters or you'll be dismissed as irrelavent

How about giving it a rest already.

Archived