THE BROWNS BOARD

Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs

calfoxwc

What, did their favorite refs retire all of a sudden?

Browns will face two rookie cb's ???

Pollyfearsahaircut still have a tiny little dislocated hair follicle ???

Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs</H1>By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer Dec 7, 6:36 pm EST

PITTSBURGH (AP) No more motivational slogans from coach Mike Tomlin. No more talk of his Pittsburgh Steelers

redeeming themselves for past mistakes.

No more grandiose promises to unleash havoc on the NFL for the rest of the season.

Tomlin's response to the Super Bowl champions latest improbable loss and the franchise's longest losing streak since a five-game slide in 2003?

He's taking out an eraser and wiping away names.

A starter gone here, a backup moving up there. A rookie starts, a veteran goes to the bench.The Steelers traditionally don't make panicky personnel moves or bench a player because of a bad game or two. But what Tomlin calls "a pattern of behavior that's unacceptable" during a four-game slump will result in lineup changes Thursday in Cleveland.

"I assure you there are going to be some", Tomlin said Monday, calling the Steelers “a very average team and our recent record might indicate that's a kind assessment.

Rookie cornerback Joe Burnett(notes) is expected to start for the oft-beaten William Gay(notes), who sustained a concussion late in the Steelers' can-you-believe-it 27-24 loss to the Raiders on Sunday. Gay might not play in Cleveland.

Another rookie cornerback, Keenan Lewis(notes), plus defensive end Ziggy Hood and wide receiver Mike Wallace(notes), also might earn elevated status for the Browns (1-11). Wallace is expected to start if Hines Ward(notes) (hamstring) can't go, which seems likely given the short week.

We can't stay status quo in terms of how we're approaching this and expect the pattern of behavior or outcome to change, Tomlin said. That's unrealistic. That's hoping. This is not a hope business.

Tomlin, who hasn't been tested like this previously during his three seasons in Pittsburgh, stayed patient during an 18-12 loss to Cincinnati and twin overtime defeats to the Chiefs and Ravens. Losing three leads in the fourth quarter against the lowly Raiders (4-8) made him lose that, and a lot more.

Tomlin was as close to agitated as he gets in public on Monday, suggesting longevity and loyalty don’t count for nearly as much when a team is losing like the Steelers are.

Nothing stays the same in this game, Tomlin said. “Players are ascending, players are descending. People catch up with schemes, schemes evolve. Playing and coaching, this thing is ever-changing.

A defense that was easily the NFL's best a year ago squandered three leads in the final eight-plus minutes Sunday as Bruce Gradkowski(notes) became the first Raiders quarterback in 30 years to throw three TD passes in the fourth quarter. It was the fifth time in six losses the Steelers’ defense couldn't hold a lead in the fourth quarter.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes(notes) said the party was getting ready to get started when Ward caught an 11-yard TD pass in the final two minutes that put Pittsburgh ahead 24-20, but the defense didn't hold up.

That's how we felt, knowing that the offense went down and did our job, Holmes said. We left everything to the defense. A couple of mishaps here and there, and they (the Raiders) won the ballgame.

A couple of mishaps against the Chiefs and Raiders, two teams that figured to give them little trouble, and the Steelers are 6-6 instead of being at least 8-4. No wonder Tomlin is concerned about his team's confidence, which was shaken when the special teams recently gave up four kickoff return touchdowns in five games.

You've got to acknowledge the potential this can be kind of a shaken group, Tomlin said. We've swallowed a lot. I'm going to be looking very closely at these men in terms of who legitimately is mentally tough and who can stand the test of adversity.

No matter what happens down the stretch, the Steelers are expected to undergo more changes than usual during the offseason. There could be coaching staff moves-none was made following the Super Bowl win—and more departing veterans than usual, particularly from a defense loaded with starters in their 30s.

It hasn't helped that star safety Tory Polamalu has missed seven games and most of two others with a pair of left knee injuries. The Steelers are 2-5 when he doesn't start, and he's unlikely to play in Cleveland.

I'm not going to make excuses, Tomlin said. I think we're capable of playing winning football with or without Troy. Are we different? Yes, because Troy's a unique individual. Maybe the ceiling is different but the floor, the level of expectation, is the same.

I think the Browns kick butt, unless

Daboll goes back to "calling plays" like he did earlier...

My hunch is, Bernie Kosar is helping him learn how to keep a defense guessing,

and be aggressive.

Somebody qualified had to talk to him...

They need to come out throwing and not stop and they can beat these guys. Don't even try running the ball.

Lol we know that rif but daboll doesnt ,he cant do a whole drive without at some point after some success in the air ,of attemping to return to and play dabollball equaling...run ,run ,pass for 3 yards ,punt ,watch other team score...rinse and repeat....;)

Lol we know that rif but daboll doesnt ,he cant do a whole drive without at some point after some success in the air ,of attemping to return to and play dabollball equaling...run ,run ,pass for 3 yards ,punt ,watch other team score...rinse and repeat.... ;)

I hate it. Dammit, I really, really, really HATE it when

Doofus Daboll does that.

You can't keep a defense honest by being predictable.

He needs to let his offense play the game, and stop being such a wonderwuss.

Some of you people need to wake up and stop viewing the world through Cleveland Skid Mark colored glasses.

and others just need to shut up. any given sunday, my friend.

stools are in complete disarray right now, and while they're going to be ready after dropping 4, this is not the same team from years ago.

they are finally becoming tomlins team after the effects of cowher's regime is fading. they are getting worse every year, as tomlins vision of "protect the QB with skill players" like sweed, mendenhall, and wallace takes its toll on Ben; years of neglecting the OL had created a swiss cheese run-blocking line that can't get outta their own way.

and what happens to the stools D when you remove Troy? they drop 4......that D has lost all their games......4 of their last 5 losses came after holding 4th quarter leads. now with even younger DB's trying to hold down that defense, there's gonna be lots of opportunities if quinn makes the right reads.

stop solidifying the future based on past performance because you can't come up with scenarios where we actually succeed....can't see the good thats going on....or the bad thats going on in Pitt. Pitt is my home, and people are shitting their pants due to the abysmal play of their football team. we could win this game, but they're not going to hand it to us. quinn needs to step it up and take charge of the game......

side note: for god sakes, dont use harrison unless we absolutely have to......woodley will make him look like a fool.

and others just need to shut up. any given sunday, my friend.

stools are in complete disarray right now

See there you go. Just like the Cleveland Skid Marks you have trouble getting anything right.

Lets look at your "stools" dig. You tried to refer to the Steelers. But you failed.

Because anyone who reads the word "stools" automatically associates it with brown, stinky things that should be flushed down the toilet. Like the Browns.

Stop failing so much. Don't be a Mangina.

Lol we know that rif but daboll doesnt ,he cant do a whole drive without at some point after some success in the air ,of attemping to return to and play dabollball equaling...run ,run ,pass for 3 yards ,punt ,watch other team score...rinse and repeat....;)

Thats funny. I just wish it wasn't true

I hate it. Dammit, I really, really, really HATE it when

Doofus Daboll does that.

You can't keep a defense honest by being predictable.

He needs to let his offense play the game, and stop being such a wonderwuss.

Yeah, Dumb-bol hasn't figured out yet the Browns are far, far away from being able to dictate plays on offense.

See there you go. Just like the Cleveland Skid Marks you have trouble getting anything right.

Lets look at your "stools" dig. You tried to refer to the Steelers. But you failed.

Because anyone who reads the word "stools" automatically associates it with brown, stinky things that should be flushed down the toilet. Like the Browns.

Stop failing so much. Don't be a Mangina.

Typical Steeler trash-talk. Mendenhall's hurt, Poly-moo-moo's out, Whines Hard at best will be running around on one leg (if he plays at all), and Ben's one good shot away from sitting out the season. If you didn't notice the Browns contained LaDanian Tomlinson last week who I daresay is better than anything the Steelers have on their roster.

Yeah the Mighty Steelers have lost to the Chiefs and Raiders- enjoy watching the playoffs at home, just like the Browns.

Thing is, we're only allowed to post here when the Steelers lose. When we're hoisting Lombardis, the mod chooses to ban us. Sorry chum, you can't have it both ways. You can't call out Steeler fans in a forum that regularly practices selective censorship. Don't get all pouty when you WANT Steelers fans to show -- take up your prob with your mods.

There's the douche bags! Again let me remind you. You are on a Browns board spewing Stooler rhetoric. 98% of the Stooler fans that come here are douche bags. If you can't take the heat get our of the kitchen. Stop whining about being censored on a BROWNS board. Guaranteed the same stuff happens on a Stooler board.

This opinion is based on what exactly?

the inability for your defense to put away poor teams. close losses is one thing....close losses to the poorest NFL teams isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

losing is losing....by 3 points or by 30.

I think the Browns are going to win. Because they're a team, not a glorified, referree-favored, cheapshotting

bunch of sissy girly-men like the stoolers are.

And Ben Rothlicksboogers won't have Polly Moo-moo to bail him out this week.

I wonder who shows Ben where the stadium is every home game....

I see no reason why we cannot hope for a victory.

The Steelers i see now are not the superbowl champions of last year. They are totally subpar. Add to it the fact that BQ is slowly progressing and the rookie and fringe players of Cleveland are improving - I see a very good possibility for an upset.

No. You missed the point.

and the answer was your defense sucks......not too hard to understand. the only way we win big is because you defense is over-rated and folds to poor teams.

that is the answer. sorry you dont understand it.

Thing is, we're only allowed to post here when the Steelers lose. When we're hoisting Lombardis, the mod chooses to ban us. Sorry chum, you can't have it both ways. You can't call out Steeler fans in a forum that regularly practices selective censorship. Don't get all pouty when you WANT Steelers fans to show -- take up your prob with your mods.

That is a pile of horse hockey. You guys have been on here all off season (and if I recall correctly, you won the last game before the offseason...correct me if I am wrong). You were on here in droves during the first 8 games of the season when you were 6-2. No, it is only the last few weeks that your ilk seemed to disappear. But you didn't, obviously, congratulations. At least you had the kohones to show up.

Interesting take you have on things.

Now then -- the Steelers have definitely played under par. Thing is, though, they've controlled every game they've lost, blowing leads late -- but have never lost by more than a field goal. Do you realize this?

So I understand you getting all foamy and giddy about pulling one off here -- but really, "kicking butt"? Against the Steelers? With YOUR team? This opinion is based on what exactly?

Like the other guy said, shit-stained glasses or something...

Played under par?

A famous sage once said...you are what your record says you are. The Steelers are a .500 team, no more, no less. Your record is your par.

And the Browns are a 1-11 team. Should we sit here and proclaim that the Browns are also playing "below par"? No, no more than the Steelers are.

Archived