THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns name Fred Nance as team general counsel

TheClevelandSound

Not sure if this is newsworthy but heres some info.

EREA, Ohio -- The Browns filled a front-office position today important enough to warrant an official comment from owner Randy Lerner. But it wasn't a football czar.

The team named Fred Nance its general counsel.

"The naming of Fred Nance as General Counsel strengthens our ability to manage any number of matters," said Browns Owner Randy Lerner. "I've had a strong and productive working relationship with Fred for many years and admire the many and various contributions he's made to the City of Cleveland."

Nance is the Regional Managing Partner for the Cleveland-based international law firm, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.

Nance was former Mayor Michael White's point man in the city's fight against Art Modell's move of the old Browns to Baltimore in 1996 and the effort to secure a replacement team.

Nance also was one of five finalists to succeed Paul Tagliabue as NFL commissioner in 2006.

"The naming of Fred Nance as General Counsel strengthens our ability to manage any number of matters," said Browns Owner Randy Lerner.

WTF, does that mean? The only "numbers that matter" are on the scoreboard.

I wasn't a Lerner basher as much as some, but doesn't anyone else find it real strange that this idiot gave Dawgpound Mike the time of day and then came out with this heartfelt desire for a "Football Czar" to hush the masses ... yet hasn't made a single statement or step in that direction since ... until now, regarding ... what? a Bean counter?

"The naming of Fred Nance as General Counsel strengthens our ability to manage any number of matters," said Browns Owner Randy Lerner.

I wasn't a Lerner basher as much as some, but doesn't anyone else find it real strange that this idiot gave Dawgpound Mike the time of day and then came out with this heartfelt desire for a "Football Czar" to hush the masses ... yet hasn't made a single statement or step in that direction since ... until now, regarding ... what? a Bean counter?

nance is one of the most respected lawyers in the mid west and brings instant credibility to the organization. He was also Mayor michael whites point man in the fight for the browns against modell.

Its definitely a step in the right direction.

Its nothing atenears its just randy hiring someone else to do his job for him and to blame it on when it dont work out...Wow we have different levels of counseling is this a football organization or an advisers firm...i have to wonder if randolph really "gets it"...this does nothing for the crumbling city or the ailing fans of this once great franchise..

Interesting. Nance is connected to anything and everything in NE Ohio, including the PD. But credibility? Maybe with the crowd at Johnny's, but not at the bars I pregame at.

Well not exactly credibility with the average fan, but with the folks around the league.

Quit complaining. The guy needs help and he hired some help.

BTW, the bold font is very Zomboish. Nice touch.

Its nothing atenears its just randy hiring someone else to do his job for him and to blame it on when it dont work out...

I doubt randy is an attorney qualified to handle the teams legal affairs, so he isn't hiring someone to do his job.

I was under the impression we had already hired Nance...hmmm...at any rate, good move by the club.

Now that Randy has hired a more than competent attorney to head up the team from the legal front, let's hope he follows up and hires a competent football guy to head up the football front.

Both are important, but not many tickets are sold to watch legal heavyweights slug it out in court or watch the deft legal maneuvers to keep it out of court or get a summary judgment.

I was under the impression we had already hired Nance...hmmm...

You're right, I do remember it being stated that they would retain Nance regarding a case against Kokinis .... In football related News, apparently DawgPound Mike is back on board, I believe I read some Steeler smack from him.

... All is right in the World.

I doubt randy is an attorney qualified to handle the teams legal affairs, so he isn't hiring someone to do his job.

I was under the impression we had already hired Nance...hmmm...at any rate, good move by the club.

Now that Randy has hired a more than competent attorney to head up the team from the legal front, let's hope he follows up and hires a competent football guy to head up the football front.

Both are important, but not many tickets are sold to watch legal heavyweights slug it out in court or watch the deft legal maneuvers to keep it out of court or get a summary judgment.

Right, every NFL team has a general counsel. I am assuming Nance was hired to replace someone who has left. And, as mentioned, Nance was the lead counsel....successful....in the cities suit against Modell to enforce its lease. (If nothing else, if this move sends even a slight eff you message to Modell, it is worth it.). The fact is, this move is practically a semi-retirement move for Nance.

You're right, I do remember it being stated that they would retain Nance regarding a case against Kokinis .... In football related News, apparently DawgPound Mike is back on board, I believe I read some Steeler smack from him.

... All is right in the World.

Up to this point, Nance was probably what we call "outhouse" counsel. In other words, he had his own private firm in which he practiced and was retained by the Browns as a client. Now, it appears that he will be their "inhouse" counsel, i.e., a full time, salaried employee of the team.

Archived