THE BROWNS BOARD

Wednesday Trivia on Tuesday/Browns/Steelers

The Gipper

Given that the Browns game is to be played on Thursday this week, I thought I would get a jump on the Wednesday trivia by posting it a bit early. And since the game is against the Steelers, it will be a Browns/Steelers rivalry subject test. See how you do:

1. What is the current head to head regular season record between the Browns and Steelers?

2. How many players/coaches from the Browns 40s/50s dynasty (1946-1955) are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame versus the number of players/coaches from the Steelers 1970s (1970-1980) dynasty are in the HOF?

3. How many players who have played for the Browns SINCE their 40s/50s dynasty are in the HOF versus the number of Steelers players SINCE their 1970s dynasty have been elected to the Hall of Fame?

4. What is the largest margin of victory in the history of the Browns/Steelers rivalry?

5. What is the longest Browns winning streak in the series? What is the Steelers longest winning streak?

6. How many consecutive times did the Browns lose in the "Three Rivers Jinx"?

7. What event/phenonmena affected the Browns/Steelers game in Cleveland last year?

8. What even/phenomena affected the first Browns/Steelers game played in Heinz Field?

9. What was significant about the Browns/Steelers game played in Pittsburgh in 1991?

10. Where was the very first Browns/Steelers game played?

11. What unusual scheduling variance had been a tradition of the Browns/Steelers games held in Cleveland in the 50s and 60s?

12. In addition to the Browns and Steelers, what teams were a part of the "Century Division" of the NFL in 1967-1969?

Given that the Browns game is to be played on Thursday this week, I thought I would get a jump on the Wednesday trivia by posting it a bit early. And since the game is against the Steelers, it will be a Browns/Steelers rivalry subject test. See how you do:

1. What is the current head to head regular season record between the Browns and Steelers? 58-55 in Steelers favor

2. How many players/coaches from the Browns 40s/50s dynasty (1946-1955) are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame versus the number of players/coaches from the Steelers 1970s (1970-1980) dynasty are in the HOF? 10 vs 9 in Browns favor

3. How many players who have played for the Browns SINCE their 40s/50s dynasty are in the HOF versus the number of Steelers players SINCE their 1970s dynasty have been elected to the Hall of Fame? 11 vs 2 in Browns favor

4. What is the largest margin of victory in the history of the Browns/Steelers rivalry? 51-0 Browns 1989

5. What is the longest Browns winning streak in the series? What is the Steelers longest winning streak? Cleveland 8, Steelers 12

6. How many consecutive times did the Browns lose in the "Three Rivers Jinx"? 13?

7. What event/phenonmena affected the Browns/Steelers game in Cleveland last year? a hurricane

8. What even/phenomena affected the first Browns/Steelers game played in Heinz Field? Gradkowski, and a QB rating of 1.0 (sarcasm)

9. What was significant about the Browns/Steelers game played in Pittsburgh in 1991?

10. Where was the very first Browns/Steelers game played? Pittsburgh

11. What unusual scheduling variance had been a tradition of the Browns/Steelers games held in Cleveland in the 50s and 60s? Saturday games, let the fans get REALLY drunk. Man I remember some of those....

12. In addition to the Browns and Steelers, what teams were a part of the "Century Division" of the NFL in 1967-1969? Cleveland, Giants, Cardinals, and Steelers. However in 1968, the Giants and Saints traded places, the Saints coming from the Capitol division. Not sure I ever understood that.

However in 1968, the Giants and Saints traded places, the Saints coming from the Capitol division. Not sure I ever understood that.

I think the Rooney's lobbied that an expansion team be placed in their division so they had a chance of not finishing last.

1. What is the current head to head regular season record between the Browns and Steelers?

Steelers have a slight edge by 2 or 3

2. How many players/coaches from the Browns 40s/50s dynasty (1946-1955) are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame versus the number of players/coaches from the Steelers 1970s (1970-1980) dynasty are in the HOF?

Browns have a slight edge

3. How many players who have played for the Browns SINCE their 40s/50s dynasty are in the HOF versus the number of Steelers players SINCE their 1970s dynasty have been elected to the Hall of Fame?

Browns 14, Steelers 10

4. What is the largest margin of victory in the history of the Browns/Steelers rivalry?

49-0

5. What is the longest Browns winning streak in the series? What is the Steelers longest winning streak?

7. What event/phenonmena affected the Browns/Steelers game in Cleveland last year?

Too many fat-ass bandwagon Steeler fans caused one side of the Stadium to sink 6 inches

8. What even/phenomena affected the first Browns/Steelers game played in Heinz Field?

Wind - lots of it because Pittsburgh blows

Magnum PI was at QB for Pittsburgh (Mark Malone)

Municipal Stadium

11. What unusual scheduling variance had been a tradition of the Browns/Steelers games held in Cleveland in the 50s and 60s?

After finishing off the turkey for Thanksgiving the Browns would feast again that Sunday on some piss-poor Steeler teams

12. In addition to the Browns and Steelers, what teams were a part of the "Century Division" of the NFL in 1967-1969?

Dallas Cowboys, NY Giants

I think the Rooney's lobbied that an expansion team be placed in their division so they had a chance of not finishing last.

No, the Giants and Saints swapped divisions that one year, the Saints played in the Century and the giants played in the Capitol. Next year (1969) they switched back.

LNC got 6 questions right!

On question number 10 I am looking for something more specific.

Aah, that would have been Forbes Field.

And I see I misread Question #8, I thought you were talking about last season. The first meeting in Heinz field was put off until the end of the season because of 9/11. It was supposed to be the first game in the new stadium, just like they played the first game in Browns Stadium when the team started back up.

No, the Giants and Saints swapped divisions that one year, the Saints played in the Century and the giants played in the Capitol. Next year (1969) they switched back.

Aah, that would have been Forbes Field.

And I see I misread Question #8, I thought you were talking about last season. The first meeting in Heinz field was put off until the end of the season because of 9/11. It was supposed to be the first game in the new stadium, just like they played the first game in Browns Stadium when the team started back up.

Alrighty then, you got those two.

I will now give the answers to these:

As of now, it is 56-58 in the Steelers favor. When the question was written it was 55-58. (overall it is 56-60 with the Steelers 2 postseason wins)

By my count, each dynasty has had 10 members make the HOF:

Browns: Doug Atkins, Paul Brown, Len Ford, Frank Gatski, Otto Graham, Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli, Mike McCormack, Marion Motley, Bill Willis

Steelers: Mel Blount, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Chuck Noll, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Mike Webster

The Browns have had 7 players inducted in the HOF who began their careers after the Browns dynasty ended in the 1955 season: Jim Brown, Joe DeLamelleure, Gene Hickerson, Leroy Kelley, Bobby Mitchell, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield

The Steelers have had 1 player inducted who began his career after the 1980 season: Rod Woodson

Think about this: the Browns have had more HOFers since the end of the Steeler dynasty than the Steelers had: Joe D. and Ozzie, compared to just Woodson.

The Browns 51-0 win in Pittsburgh in 1989 is the largest margin of victory for either team in the series.

Browns: 8 games from 1950 to 1953. Steelers 12 games....and DONE.

Sixteen times from 1970 to 1985.

Hurricane Ike came through with rain and wind gusts up to 60 mph.

The 9/11 Terrorist attack postponed the Browns/Steeler game that was to be played 9/16/2001, their first scheduled Heinz Field game. They made the game up at the end of the season in January 2002.

It was the last game coached by Chuck Noll.

Forbes Field, Pittsburgh

They were played on Saturday nights. I believe they were called the Saturday Night Classics, and the last one was held in 1970. Several reasons were given for discontinuing them: 1. So many fights broke out at that last one between drunken fans, the teams thought it would be better to go to Sunday afternoon games. 2. The Network deals that were entered into wanted to preserve Saturdays for the college game. Since then, the NFL has scheduled Saturday games only after the college season is essentially wrapped up in early December.

The St. Louis Cardinals, New Orleans Saints, and New York Giants. In those days, the Giants were every bit as big a rival for the Browns, if not more so, than the Steelers. Recall the matchups of Jim Brown vs. Sam Huff. This rivalry ended when the Browns/Steelers/Colts left for the AFC. I am of the belief that the Colts should in fact be moved to the AFC Central, with the Ravens moving to the East, and the Dolphins to the South. That would put the three old NFL "refugees" into the same division, plus, now, Indianapolis is by far the closest rival to the Bengals. They could have the sort of territorial rivalry there that the Browns and Steelers have.

Archived