THE BROWNS BOARD

The latest on J Cribbs' contract negotiations

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...appy_since.html

Cribbs' progress: Josh Cribbs said his agent and the Brown are "making good progress" on his contract renegotiation.

"I feel really good about where we are right now," said Cribbs. Mangini also said last week the Browns "are moving forward" on a new deal.

I'm a bit worried about the crap I'll get for asking this, but I'll go ahead an do it anyway.

What are your honest assessments of Cribbs

I think he's an excellent athlete, a very good and explosive return man. I'm not sure that he has the skill level to be good at either WR or RB, however. Some of these athletes who come out of college lacking a true position have great hands...but Cribbs does not seem to be one of them.

I know this will sound to some like a very negative assessment, but I don't think it is. He could be a good third option in the receiving game, a change of pace back who finds a lot of ways to get involved both on offense and special teams, but I don't see him making a big impact in any aspect of the game except returns.

I'm a bit worried about the crap I'll get for asking this, but I'll go ahead an do it anyway.

What are your honest assessments of Cribbs

I think he's an excellent athlete, a very good and explosive return man. I'm not sure that he has the skill level to be good at either WR or RB, however. Some of these athletes who come out of college lacking a true position have great hands...but Cribbs does not seem to be one of them.

I know this will sound to some like a very negative assessment, but I don't think it is. He could be a good third option in the receiving game, a change of pace back who finds a lot of ways to get involved both on offense and special teams, but I don't see him making a big impact in any aspect of the game except returns.

I agree 100%.

I like Cribbs, and realize he has become the face of the franchise right now, but he is a return guy and I was fairly pleased with Lawson's returns in training camp and pre-season. I want the guy here as he adds a ton to the team as aour gunner as well, but I wouldn't give him the house.

I agree 100%.

I like Cribbs, and realize he has become the face of the franchise right now, but he is a return guy and I was fairly pleased with Lawson's returns in training camp and pre-season. I want the guy here as he adds a ton to the team as aour gunner as well, but I wouldn't give him the house.

I agree as well. Cribbs is a great st man and can be useful in trick plays on offense, but I think that his new contract will be more of an extension than a raise. I do not see him getting a boatload of money per year, jmo.

I agree 100%.

Normally I would agree if your post was about him being a WR, but every single time he gets a carry(in wild cat usually), it seems to be a long gain.

I just wanna know what it'd be like if he got an entire full start playing RB the entire game, I'm 100% sure that he'd do much better as a RB than a WR(he has the body for it), perhaps he doesn't want to play RB as it takes a large toll on the body? Perhaps he'll only play that position if he gets a big contract raise, perhaps Mangini doesn't want to play him as one?

who knows? all I know is that I want to see at least one game where he gets a full start at RB to see what he can do, I don't see why not when we've been starting him at WR for no apparent reason, he is not good as a WR at all. I feel like we're not utilizing him as much as we could be.

Cribbs being an everydown RB would kill our running game. His legs would be dead by the 2nd half every game, and his career would be shortened by a couple years. I like him as a gimmick back, not a WR. But he is able to stretch the field with his speed, and he did make a pretty athletic catch last week. I've always wanted to see what he could do as a defensive back, personally.

Cribbs being an everydown RB would kill our running game. His legs would be dead by the 2nd half every game, and his career would be shortened by a couple years. I like him as a gimmick back, not a WR. But he is able to stretch the field with his speed, and he did make a pretty athletic catch last week. I've always wanted to see what he could do as a defensive back, personally.

when I said I wanted him to have a full start, that's just for one game, if he excelled in the full start, then I would want him to split carries with another RB to get the most durability from them. I guess that could qualify as "gimmick back" if he got around 5-12 carries a game. and yeah I wouldn't mind seeing him at safety either, if Mike Furrey(who btw, should be the starting WR2, either him or Robiskie) can do alright at it, why not Cribbs?

when I said I wanted him to have a full start, that's just for one game, if he excelled in the full start, then I would want him to split carries with another RB to get the most durability from them. I guess that could qualify as "gimmick back" if he got around 5-12 carries a game. and yeah I wouldn't mind seeing him at safety either, if Mike Furrey(who btw, should be the starting WR2, either him or Robiskie) can do alright at it, why not Cribbs?

When I said kill our running game, I meant kill our return game. I'm too lazy to fix it. Yeah, I could see him as a good change of pace back, that's pretty much what he does now, except he only runs from the Flash package. It would be interesting to see him at RB in one of our traditional formations; maybe some kind of I-form so the defense has to account for a run up the middle, and then we pitch it to him outside and let him get the edge. When we line up in the Flash, its almost guaranteed that Cribbs is going to run, and he still finds a way to get at least 5 yards every time. And I'd like to see our WR depth chart like this to begin the game tonight: #1- MoMass, #2- Furrey, #3-Robo, #4-Stuckey,#5-Cribbs. I want to see what Robo does in the slot, I think he might just tear people up.

Archived