THE BROWNS BOARD

NBC's PFT says signs point to new Czar and new Head Coach

JoeSixPat

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ing-a-hire-soon

Not that Florio is always right, but he's right enough of the time to make this worth contemplating as a very real possibility

This would be very unfortunate for those who are big Mangini fans

I'd say Florio is about as right as often as Kelly Shoppach got a hit last year. I'll let you figure that one out.

Florio hates Cleveland anyway. The new Czar is a no brainer report but I highly doubt we have a new head coach after this year.

You can't know anything about football media and not know that Florio DOES have numerous inside NFL sources. You can question what the motivation of those sources might be and whether they may feed him misinformation at times, but not even the biggest Florio hater is able to delude themselves that he doesn't get lots of scoops from sources who insist on remaining anonymous.

In a great many cases those reports are accurate, as any intelligent football fan knows.

In cases where sources are feeding him misinformation, it's still worthy of delving in deeper, asking why that misinformation is being promoted.

So the question becomes, if someone is telling Florio that a Czar will be named soon and that presumably most candidates want a fresh start at head coach, WHY would they be shopping such misinformation through Florio.

It could well be that there are GM candidates who want the job but don't want Mangini even though Lerner does. This might be there way of softening Lerner up.

That's only one theory - but folks, let's not insult everyone's intelligence by stating that Florio has no actual NFL sources. If you don't believe those sources at least offer a theory as to why the misinformation is being actively promoted.

It's always been my contention that a GM who's willing to abdicate authority to hire or fire a head coach isn't a GM worth hiring. I'd look at this as good news, if true, for Cleveland as it means that Lerner is committed to brining in the best GM he can.

You can't know anything about football media and not know that Florio DOES have numerous inside NFL sources. You can question what the motivation of those sources might be and whether they may feed him misinformation at times, but not even the biggest Florio hater is able to delude themselves that he doesn't get lots of scoops from sources who insist on remaining anonymous.

In a great many cases those reports are accurate, as any intelligent football fan knows.

In cases where sources are feeding him misinformation, it's still worthy of delving in deeper, asking why that misinformation is being promoted.

So the question becomes, if someone is telling Florio that a Czar will be named soon and that presumably most candidates want a fresh start at head coach, WHY would they be shopping such misinformation through Florio.

It could well be that there are GM candidates who want the job but don't want Mangini even though Lerner does. This might be there way of softening Lerner up.

That's only one theory - but folks, let's not insult everyone's intelligence by stating that Florio has no actual NFL sources. If you don't believe those sources at least offer a theory as to why the misinformation is being actively promoted.

It's always been my contention that a GM who's willing to abdicate authority to hire or fire a head coach isn't a GM worth hiring. I'd look at this as good news, if true, for Cleveland as it means that Lerner is committed to brining in the best GM he can.

If Mangini gets fired, will you leave? That might make it worth it.

If Mangini gets fired, will you leave? That might make it worth it.

No - I'd like to be around here when the Browns are returned to the team I respected and followed growing up. That's not happening with this idiot of a head coach - and it might not happen if Lerner lets his ego limit GM candidates by insisting they don't have the power to do what a GM does and fire or hire their head coach.

Get a respected GM, give him the powers of a true GM, and let him decide whether Mangini stays or goes and maybe I'll begin to show a bit more respect for a coach who by all indications has made a very bad situation in Cleveland worse, not better.

Well, let's gauge the feeling about Mangini right now- I'll start a poll in another thread. :)

The "article" really doesn't say much...

I am sure Florio has a few sources around the league...don't know if they are legit or not.

The blurb you posted sounded more like a rip on Kosar more than anything else.

His "sources" usually come from sitting around his office trying to justify a paycheck and making something up. When he is "right" its on easy stories that everybody knows about. He has yet to break any news story with any type of accuracy. Notice he also says that the Browns aren't giving any clues as to what they are doing. Really Mike? Then why are you writing this article? What is it based on? Because its a big headline if you're a Browns fan and it gets his name out there. Sports journalists are the worst. If a guy is forced to write a story everyday then you can go ahead and dismiss his crap. Adam Shefter only shows up when there is a story. That's who you listen to.

Thats all i know is if randy really wants to bring in a "credible" czar its going to cost him dearly in the cash department and if he wants to hang on to "manweenie the manchild" its going to cost him even more ,and keeping manchild may make it impossible to keep credible or even respectable czar in the same sentence...

Its going to be an interesting off season for sure....;)

I would agree with you: if you are going to hire a Tsar, let him be a Czar...i.e. like Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, or Catherine the Great Horse F**ker. Not like Nicholas II who let his wife control his actions who in turn was controlled by some crazy monk. If the new Czar says "off with his head", then get the axe out! Lerner seems to be too much like Nicholas. Perhaps it is his wife who is calling the shots on the Browns, what do you think?

rasputin2.jpg

By the way, don't you think he looks a little like Kosar?

I'm getting the feeling most around here really aren't up on how well connected Florio has become and how he's grown PFT to the point where now he's quit his law practice, sold PFT to NBC and is collecting a pretty darn good paycheck and has more than a few employees.

He's got insiders from every team leaking him scoops... in some cases the scoops are true, in some cases they are half true, and in some cases they are false.

Sources that consistently lie to Florio don't get any play. Florio doesn't like to be wrong and he's built his website by being right more than he's wrong, even though some fans who don't like what he has to say would prefer to think he's always wrong.

But even when there are half truths or falsehoods, one needs to read between the lines to understand the reasons why some legitimate sources may be giving misinformation.

In this case it may be that there are GM candidates who want the Browns job but don't want Mangini. Spreading the rumor that GM candidates are turning down the Browns job for "unknown reasons" might be intended to help Lerner understand that he may be making a strategic mistake with an approach that limits the power of the GM to select a coach, even as they lay the foundation for that by establishing a belief that Mangini may be given the ax.

I have no information that says the reported rumor is true or false - but I am pointing out the common sense that Florio is right more than he's wrong, nor would Florio pass on rumors from sources that consistently lie... he doesn't LIKE to look like an idiot even though he sometimes does.

I'm getting the feeling most around here really aren't up on how well connected Florio has become and how he's grown PFT to the point where now he's quit his law practice, sold PFT to NBC and is collecting a pretty darn good paycheck and has more than a few employees.

He's got insiders from every team leaking him scoops... in some cases the scoops are true, in some cases they are half true, and in some cases they are false.

Sources that consistently lie to Florio don't get any play. Florio doesn't like to be wrong and he's built his website by being right more than he's wrong, even though some fans who don't like what he has to say would prefer to think he's always wrong.

But even when there are half truths or falsehoods, one needs to read between the lines to understand the reasons why some legitimate sources may be giving misinformation.

In this case it may be that there are GM candidates who want the Browns job but don't want Mangini. Spreading the rumor that GM candidates are turning down the Browns job for "unknown reasons" might be intended to help Lerner understand that he may be making a strategic mistake with an approach that limits the power of the GM to select a coach, even as they lay the foundation for that by establishing a belief that Mangini may be given the ax.

I have no information that says the reported rumor is true or false - but I am pointing out the common sense that Florio is right more than he's wrong, nor would Florio pass on rumors from sources that consistently lie... he doesn't LIKE to look like an idiot even though he sometimes does.

Joe Six Pat ... 303 posts (only since the re-set) on a Browns board and every one of them is about Eric Mangini.

Just curious ... how many of your ex-boy/girlfriends had to get restraining orders against you?

Zombo

--I'm guessing all of them ... except the two buried behind your mom's house.

Archived