THE BROWNS BOARD

Game Balls

roach

My awards go to..........

Cribbs. He is definately the most pure football player on this team. He his tough and he carried the team. Period.

Dawson. He just went out there in absolutely popped the ball through the uprights in awful conditions. Obviously, his 7 points were the difference in this game. Each kick was huge.

Hodges. The conditions dictated that this was a game of field position. This guy stepped up.

Pontbriand. My man was on the front end of all the Dawson and Hodges plays. He is the best in the NFL at his position and he makes a difference.

Costanzo. This guy is absolutely amazing. i've been quietly watching #54 on the Special Teams and he is always one of the first to make contact or disrupt a returner. He belongs in an orange helmet.

Our D front 7. Wow. A bunch of no-names that kicked the shit out of Ben and the Superbowl champs. Way to go guys.

Coach Mangini. His team is getting it.

Cribbs literally willed the team to a win...for us.

if i was at the game i would have gotten the crowd chanting his name.

Thank you Josh!

If I'm Randy Lerner, I'm renegotiating Cribbs' contract at 9:00 a.m. this morning.....and giving him what he wants. Talk about a player with heart. This guy is the poster boy for heart and courage. Personally, I think it's crap when a player wants to upgrade his contract before it's time. This is an exception to that rule. Pay him now.....you can't afford to lose this guy. He is the heart and soul of this team, and there isn't another NFL team that wouldn't want him. Randy....save the money you were going to lose by firing Mangini at the end of the season, and give it to Cribbs.

I give one to Mangini.

The guy takes a bunch of crap yet still maintains direction.

I agree. His leadership approach is beginning to take form. It has been obvious over the last few games. If he was truly hated in the locker room like many have suggested, this team would have not played like they have been. They played their hearts out. Good game.

Marcus Benard, Evan Moore, Brian Schaefering. 3 examples of guys who came in unheralded, worked their way up through practice and learning the schemes, and all played significant roles in the win. Great examples of how we are building this team from the bottom up, creating the foundation for long term success.

If I'm Randy Lerner, I'm renegotiating Cribbs' contract at 9:00 a.m. this morning.....and giving him what he wants. Talk about a player with heart. This guy is the poster boy for heart and courage. Personally, I think it's crap when a player wants to upgrade his contract before it's time. This is an exception to that rule. Pay him now.....you can't afford to lose this guy. He is the heart and soul of this team, and there isn't another NFL team that wouldn't want him. Randy....save the money you were going to lose by firing Mangini at the end of the season, and give it to Cribbs.

i hear ya totally lodilobo--but we gotta be careful to keep him hungry! i've found that while money is an excellent reward, it's not always the best motivator. whatever incentive Mangini has given Cribbs thus far sure seems to be doing the trick! and i do feel confident he'll take care of him after the season, but hey>>it's not my $$ so my opinion ain't worth jack.

many games balls, but i only want to point out one.

corey williams.

he was hot early, getting good push and helped set the tempo for the defense. for all his desire to play in a 4-3 again, he gave the effort i wouldn't have expected.

this is good coaching fellas.....make no mistake about it.

corey williams.

he was hot early, getting good push and helped set the tempo for the defense. for all his desire to play in a 4-3 again, he gave the effort i wouldn't have expected.

this is good coaching fellas.....

"or maybe he was just auditioning for the league's 4-3 teams." -Donnie Downer

just saying.

seriously--whatever it takes. i have always wondered what he'd look like at NT and he looked GOOD! a couple of those tackles i couldn't even tell what he had a hold of, they just went down (!). he was definitely hustling.

it's pretty fortunate we have him on the roster to fill some of the void Rogers leaves, and hope it wasn't just the snaps he took at NT making all the difference.

if this keeps up, this opportunity could give Williams leverage in a couple ways. what's better is it's win/win for the Browns in every single scenario i can think of.

i know we've talked about it before, but....tell me again [whoever you all were] why Rogers couldn't play DE effectively?

question for the guys who watch D-lineman: have they ever lined up 4-3 with CW and SR as the D-tackles? could we run that as our base if Williams shows he has a true knack for it?

I give one to Mangini.

The guy takes a bunch of crap yet still maintains direction.

Yup the guy wins one game legit game and we give him the keys to loot the city..nevermind that he has basically destroyed our offense under the guise of rebuilding ,truth is he has no offensive creativity or even any idea of how to run an offense..thats why the jets fired him...but hey we get what we deserve just because we are stupid enough to remain browns fans! hehehehehe ;)

If he can somehow win against both the raiders and KC then i would have to say i have seen progress....;)

Yup the guy wins one game legit game and we give him the keys to loot the city..nevermind that he has basically destroyed our offense under the guise of rebuilding ,truth is he has no offensive creativity or even any idea of how to run an offense..thats why the jets fired him...but hey we get what we deserve just because we are stupid enough to remain browns fans! hehehehehe ;)

If he can somehow win against both the raiders and KC then i would have to say i have seen progress....;)

Yeah, that's a good point. One well-coached game does not a great coach make. And yet, those guys looked like they were playing hard on a cold night when they had nothing to win for but pride. And they looked well coached too.

is there any doubt that cribbs is the mvp of this team and the best overall special teams player in the league? he does this week after week not only returning kicks and punts, but DEFENDING them as well. he is the best in the league at what he does and it the most beloved brown player since bernie. PAY THE MAN!

If he can somehow win against both the raiders and KC then i would have to say i have seen progress.... ;)

N.Y. JETS

Offensive Total Yards (ranked): 16th in 2008, 20th in 2009

Rushing yards (ranked): 9th in 2008, 1st in 2009

Receiving Yards (ranked): 16th in 2008, 30th in 2009 (Hi Braylon!)

Scoring Offense (ranked): 9th in 2008, 17th in 2009

Ranked between 9th-16th in all of these major offensive catagories isn't something to cry about. It appears that the Jets have less "offensive creativity" since Mangini's departure, no?

Destroyed our offense? Have you forgotten about least season? Seriously dude your irrational hatred for Mangini is making you look foolish.

is there any doubt that cribbs is the mvp of this team and the best overall special teams player in the league? he does this week after week not only returning kicks and punts, but DEFENDING them as well. he is the best in the league at what he does and it the most beloved brown player since bernie. PAY THE MAN!

agree

I have always been a huge fan of Cribbs & I was upset when they cut Benard earlier...thanks God we have him now. I honestly believe he will be our "pass rushing" LB. I'm excited about Moore too.

Mangini DOES deserve a game ball. I still think he is on the right track with his system. After all, it's in it's FIRST year...how many years did Romeo have to evolve into a 4-12 team? Give Mangini 3-4 years & I'm betting we'll be far better. I say "stay the course".

Mike

I agree about all of the game balls. I want to point out one thing though...

How many of these "stop gap" guys came off of the practice squad or the street to contribute? For all of those people who have been ripping on the coaches for running "opportunity periods" with the bottom end of the roster....THIS is what those are for. Seems like there has been some coaching going on. Imagine that....

Yup the guy wins one game legit game and we give him the keys to loot the city..

I am not giving him the keys to the city. I just think he has stayed the course through rough seas...now we are entering calmer waters.

The guy deserves some credit.

Nothing more, nothing less.

How many of these "stop gap" guys came off of the practice squad or the street to contribute? For all of those people who have been ripping on the coaches for running "opportunity periods" with the bottom end of the roster....THIS is what those are for. Seems like there has been some coaching going on. Imagine that....

Good point.

It shows coaches coaching up....working with players they feel have "po".

It's a credit to the staff.

Like them or not, you have to give credit when credit is due.

And for the record, I like Mangini.

So working a little extra time on your craft can lead to better results...Imagine that!!!

Good point.

It shows coaches coaching up....working with players they feel have "po".

It's a credit to the staff.

Like them or not, you have to give credit when credit is due.

And for the record, I like Mangini.

So do I. How can you NOT respect a man who clearly states his principles (as he has) & does not deviate from them? He is consistent & that is what this team needs.

Mike

N.Y. JETS

Offensive Total Yards (ranked): 16th in 2008, 20th in 2009

Rushing yards (ranked): 9th in 2008, 1st in 2009

Receiving Yards (ranked): 16th in 2008, 30th in 2009 (Hi Braylon!)

Scoring Offense (ranked): 9th in 2008, 17th in 2009

Ranked between 9th-16th in all of these major offensive catagories isn't something to cry about. It appears that the Jets have less "offensive creativity" since Mangini's departure, no?

Maybe they even miss Daboll too by the looks of things. This is going to sound homerish and almost foolish but here goes: I'm starting to feel like Stucky is more reliable than Edwards at this juncture of their careers. Keep in mind, we also got Trusnik and 2 more picks coming in 2010 while NY went from 3-1 to forgettable since they designated Edwards as their relaible playmaker. Alot of people were mocking this trade in the media and couldn't wait to show the fans from Cleveland how Braylon concentrates and focuses so much better in NY air. Good luck with that. Football is either your priority or it isn't. When Braylon made football a priority, I saw what he was capable of. Those days are in the rear view mirror. For example, the last time I watched him play a couple weks ago a perfectly thrown pass bounced right off his facemask and he also dropped a slant pattern. Translation: no big plays, no focus - just time to punt the ball again. Dejavue? You bet! It ain't the city - it's the dude and the tude.

The NY Jets won 9 games in 2008 and fired their coach. If that was underachieving, I can't imagine they're ecstatic about where they are heading in 2009.

- Tom F.

Archived