THE BROWNS BOARD

Chris Jennings

beefjerky

I've been loving this guy since preseason and am glad he's finally getting a chance to prove himself, I made a long post explaining why his performance was great and just wanted to repost it here so more people saw it:

ha ha ha ha.....OK

if jennings had the best oline and the best play calling in the history of football he still wouldn't get to the pro-bowl....lol

Jennings got 73 yards on 20 carries and 1 TD against the best rushing defense in the NFL, here are the top performances(not in any order) by past RBs against Pittsburgh's defense:

Cedric Benson CIN, 76 yards on 16 carries(did not play much in 2nd game @ Steelers, probably due to injury), 1 TD. 1 reception for 5 yards(receiving doesn't have anything to do with their rushing defense so keep that in mind for the next ones)

Adrian Peterson MIN, 69 yards on 18 carries, 1 TD. 4 receptions for 60 yards.

Ray Rice BAL, 19 carries for 88 yards, 0 TD, 5 receptions for 67 yards(would be the best performance had he had a TD, McGahee got it and was only in the game for goal line carries, he had 5 total).

Justin Fargas OAK, 15 carries for 63 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 13 yards.

Jamaal Charles, KC, 17 carries for 58 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 8 yards and one of them is a TD. (only on this list because of the receiving TD, but no one else did better rushing wise past this)

Cribbs isn't on here since his position isn't RB, but he had 8 carries for 87 yards yesterday, and had 6 carries for 45 yards the first game.

So Jennings is easily in the top 5 RB performances against the Steelers defense, Jerome and Jamal weren't able to do ANYTHING against them.

Here's some of the RBs who weren't able to do anything against them(rushing wise at least):

Chris Johnson TEN, 15 carries for 57 yards, 0 TD, 1 reception for 11 yards. (and he's considered to be currently one of the best)

Kevin Smith DET, 20 carries for 53 yards, 0 TD, 3 receptions for 42 yards.

Matt Forte, CHI, 13 carries for 29 yards, 0 TD, 5 receptions for 55 yards.

Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter combined DEN, 14 carries for 27 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 4 yards.

And this list doesn't even include fumbles, which Jennings had zero, so while I'm not going to pencil in Jennings as the starting RB for the next season already, I'm definitely giving him a good shot, if he's able to do this against Pittsburgh, let's see what he can do against an average Rushing defense, because he'll definitely be able to do more against those teams.

edit: Would also like to give credit to Lawrence Vickers FB, he blocked great which helped Jennings a lot.

he looked really good but i'm not ready to crown him as out rb of the future. he hasn't shown us that he can run up the middle. he can bounce it outside but we can't depend on him to do it every game. people will catch him. we need a guy to run up the middle to compliment our speedy guys.

I agree that we need a big "playmaker" type back. A bruiser with speed who can hit hard between the tackles. That being said, Jennings is definitely an upgrade from what we have seen here recently.

Mike

One of the things I like about Jennings that I don't really see other RBs doing in the NFL, is that he spins off of a tackler at times to get a few extra yards, it's hard to bring him down, which is why Harrison is more of a "change of pace" RB or "3rd down back" RB, Jerome falls down too easily from contact.

I've been loving this guy since preseason and am glad he's finally getting a chance to prove himself, I made a long post explaining why his performance was great and just wanted to repost it here so more people saw it:

Jennings got 73 yards on 20 carries and 1 TD against the best rushing defense in the NFL, here are the top performances(not in any order) by past RBs against Pittsburgh's defense:

Cedric Benson CIN, 76 yards on 16 carries(did not play much in 2nd game @ Steelers, probably due to injury), 1 TD. 1 reception for 5 yards(receiving doesn't have anything to do with their rushing defense so keep that in mind for the next ones)

Ray Rice BAL, 19 carries for 88 yards, 0 TD, 5 receptions for 67 yards(would be the best performance had he had a TD, McGahee got it and was only in the game for goal line carries, he had 5 total).

Jamaal Charles, KC, 17 carries for 58 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 8 yards and one of them is a TD. (only on this list because of the receiving TD, but no one else did better rushing wise past this)

Cribbs isn't on here since his position isn't RB, but he had 8 carries for 87 yards yesterday, and had 6 carries for 45 yards the first game.

So Jennings is easily in the top 5 RB performances against the Steelers defense, Jerome and Jamal weren't able to do ANYTHING against them.

Here's some of the RBs who weren't able to do anything against them(rushing wise at least):

Chris Johnson TEN, 15 carries for 57 yards, 0 TD, 1 reception for 11 yards. (and he's considered to be currently one of the best)

Knowshon Moreno and Correll Buckhalter combined DEN, 14 carries for 27 yards, 0 TD, 2 receptions for 4 yards.

And this list doesn't even include fumbles, which Jennings had zero, so while I'm not going to pencil in Jennings as the starting RB for the next season already, I'm definitely giving him a good shot, if he's able to do this against Pittsburgh, let's see what he can do against an average Rushing defense, because he'll definitely be able to do more against those teams.

edit: Would also like to give credit to Lawrence Vickers FB, he blocked great which helped Jennings a lot.

So what Jerome harrison rushed for 129 yds against cincy the only RB to do that in a year. Give him the ball more

More falling in love with faux potential...Dude runs more straight up than chris brown from the texans....is just a fill in because we are injured...now you guys want to annoint him...rueben droughns at the very best! which is not much in the end!

You guys are forgetting about a kid named James Davis. We were all so high on him before he went down with the mysterious "shoulder injury"...what the hell was with that anyways?

Thank you. I thought I was the only person who remembered him. The kid can be special, he proved that in college. I think Davis and Jennings could do very well together. I like Harrison, too, but I'm more partial to Davis.

We have no idea what Davis will become but we do know that Jennings is big, runs hard, holds onto the ball, and is really quick. Now add in that he is a rookie and this kid can absalutely be a feature back in this league. Plenty big, plenty fast. His issue with running through the middle is a result of being a rookie and not having that vision yet. He still feels more comfortable in space where he can see the fields so that's where he goes with the ball. With time, he'll develope that RB vision and then, he will be a damn good RB.

PS. Harrison will not be on this team next year. If a single arm can bring you down, you don't last in this league.

You guys are forgetting about a kid named James Davis. We were all so high on him before he went down with the mysterious "shoulder injury"...what the hell was with that anyways?

Oh that? It was a shoulder injury. What's with the suspicion?

More falling in love with faux potential...Dude runs more straight up than chris brown from the texans....is just a fill in because we are injured...now you guys want to annoint him...rueben droughns at the very best! which is not much in the end!

you know who also run straight up and down, AP hes not doing to shabby.

Thank you. I thought I was the only person who remembered him. The kid can be special, he proved that in college. I think Davis and Jennings could do very well together. I like Harrison, too, but I'm more partial to Davis.

I agree that Jennings and Davis may become a competent backfield. Both show some skills and while neither may ever be the best in the league, both offer enough skill set to be good enough.

I don't think we are under any pressure at this point to find another running back.

One thing I know for sure in watching Harrison and Jennings: Jamal Lewis was beyond done.

Neither of these two guys, however, are our feature back of the future. We need a workhorse RB, no question.

Could one of these guys, including Davis, be our #2 back? Absolutely, but we need to get a good RB somewhere. Spiller will be gone by the second round, and I'm not in tune with who would be available beyond Spiller.

I like this guy: I'd love to have him finally be the fast, big, smart bruiser back

the Browns need...

Jonathan Dwyer Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Position: RB

School & Year/Status: Georgia Tech - Junior

Jersey Number: #21

Height & Weight: 6-0 - 235 lbs.

Ranked #13 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech

Jonathan Dwyer has taken advantage of the new system brought in by Coach Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. Yet, his collegiate career started in 2007 under a more traditional offense. As a backup to Tashard Choice as a true freshman, Dwyer carried the ball 82 times for 436 yards and nine touchdowns. Obviously those numbers went way up when Coach Johnson showed up at Georgia Tech and Choice went off to the NFL. As a sophomore Dwyer turned into one of the most productive backs in the nation, rushing 200 times for 1,395 yards and 12 scores.

Dwyer's yards per carry average has gone down a little bit during the 2009 season, mostly due to ACC opposition getting used to the spread option offense the Yellow Jackets employ, but he is still averaging over 100 rushing yards per game through nine contests in the 2009 campaign.

At 6-0 and 235 pounds, Dwyer is the bruising back on the team and NFL scouts have taken notice. Dwyer is one of the best draft eligible running backs out there and he should be a first round draft pick if he opts to go pro early; at this point that seems like a logical choice.

Jonathan Dwyer talks NFL possibilities

Alex Esselink, Editor

December 08, 2009 “I’m really just looking at what’s best for me ... me and my family,” Georgia Tech junior running back Jonathan Dwyer said about possibly entering the 2010 NFL draft. “We’ll see where that ends up."

Don't look for anything substantial to come out until after the FedEx Orange Bowl on Jan. 5. We would be somewhat surprised to see Dwyer come back.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011RB.php

Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech

Height: 6-0. Weight: 228.

Projected 40 Time: 4.44.

Projected Round (2011): Top 25 Pick.

2/6/09: Jonathan Dwyer had an amazing year for Georgia Tech, rushing for 1,395 yards and 12 touchdowns on a yards-per-carry average of seven. If Dwyer manages to run that mid 4.4 at 228 pounds, he'll be close to a first-round lock.

7/25/08: Tashard Choice is gone, but Georgia Tech fans aren't concerned. As a true freshman, Jonathan Dwyer totaled 436 yards and nine touchdowns on just 82 carries. That's a 5.3 YPC, matching Choice's figure. Dwyer has an excellent 40 for his size.

If we win the 2 out of the next 3 games, where we could win all 3 games, but if we win just 2. We would be 4-12 and have somewhere around the 5th pick..

1.Tampa will take Suh

2. Rams will take a QB

3. Det will take either Macoy our Berry

4. Chiefs will take the other

5. Cleveland CJ Spiller.......He is that good to take at 5 our 6 Oakland might get he 5th pick but they wont take a RB they have a lot of those...

CJ Spiller and Davis in the backfield would be really nice......I like Jennings, but again Dont think he could be all-pro back...

I disagree. C. J. Spiller is an oustanding talent, but he's only 195 lbs. He would be a great compliment to an

offense that already has a big, dominating bruising rb, which the Browns do not have.

He shared carries with Davis because he isn't a big guy. In Cleveland winters, you have to be able to pound the ball

down the field.

C.J. Spiller Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

C.J. Spiller will be drafted

1st Round

Position: RB

School & Year/Status: Clemson - Senior

Jersey Number: #28

Height & Weight: 5'11 - 195 lbs.

Ranked #24 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

C.J. Spiller had to deal with splitting carries with James Davis for most of his career. Even without the entire workload, Spiller has put up some great numbers. As a freshman, Spiller tallied 938 yards on the ground and 12 total trips to the end zone. In 2007 Spiller rushed for 768 yards, but it was during that season he emerged as a great pass catcher out of the backfield. The 5-11 back caught 34 passes for 271 yards and two touchdowns. In 2008 Spiller totaled 629 rushing yards, 436 receiving yards and ten total offensive touchdowns.

The big question after Spiller opted to return to Clemson for his senior season was how well he could manage the workload on his own. After all, Spiller is a 5-11, 195 pound speed back. Through five games the results have been relatively mixed.

Spiller is handling the carries and easily leads the team with 360 rushing yards, but his yards-per-carry numbers are down and he only has one rushing touchdown through five games.

However, the lack of production can be blamed on a lackluster offense. Spiller's speed and quickness should make him one of the top running backs in this class. In this day and age of multiple running back teams in the NFL, Spiller is the perfect compliment to a power back.

Last Updated Oct-12-2009 by Joel Welser

I disagree. C. J. Spiller is an oustanding talent, but he's only 195 lbs. He would be a great compliment to an

offense that already has a big, dominating bruising rb, which the Browns do not have.

He shared carries with Davis because he isn't a big guy. In Cleveland winters, you have to be able to pound the ball

down the field.

His size isn't a hinderance to his potential. Just because he's small doesn't mean he can't take a hit. To tell you the truth, he's probably more "big and bruising" than the RB's we have on our current roster. I'd love to see him in Cleveland, to re-create the "Thunder and Lightning" ground attack that worked for them in Clemson.

Archived