THE BROWNS BOARD

For Brady Quinn, it was a dream come true

SJ_Browns

I have some down time so I've been catching up on my reading and I'm posting all of the good articles that I find.

link

Unlike many of his Browns teammates, Brady Quinn never had to be taught to dislike the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Central Ohio native grew up a Cleveland fan and fantasized about playing in one of the NFL’s classic rivalries.

Quinn finally got to live out his dream Thursday night - and made the most of it - by directing the Browns to a 13-6 win over the Steelers.

“It’s hard to describe how I feel because I’m so happy for our team, our coaches and our fans,” he said after becoming the first Cleveland quarterback to beat Pittsburgh since Tim Couch on Oct. 5, 2003. “It’s been a long time coming.

“Personally, I wish I would have had a better game, but this really shows how much character we have on our team. It’s incredible, and I hope it’s the start of a lot of good things for us.”

Though it’s long been known Quinn bleeds orange and brown, his actions as the clock wound down were enough to warm the hearts of the bone-chilled fans in attendance.

The Notre Dame golden boy happily skipped along the sideline, exchanging hugs and congratulations with everyone in sight. He then walked onto the field to soak in the moment, saluting the hearty souls who stayed until the end.

Several thousand of them promptly reciprocated Quinn’s gesture by staying in their seats until he finished a live interview with NFL Network, showering him with the cheers befitting a conquering hero as he ran into the tunnel.

“You could see the fans hanging around after the game, high-fiving everyone,” Browns linebacker David Bowens said. “I’ve only been here a little while, but you could see how much this means to them. (We’ve only got) two wins, but we can salvage a little bit of morale by beating Pittsburgh.”

The one-touchdown victory not only likely knocked the Super Bowl champion Steelers out of the playoff race, it also snapped two ridiculously long droughts for Cleveland.

First, it ended the Browns’ franchise-worst home losing streak at 10 games. Only 21 current players were on the roster when they beat the New York Giants on Oct. 13, 2008, for their last win at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Second, it marked the first time the Browns have beaten Pittsburgh in 13 tries. The 12 straight losses against the Steelers represented Cleveland’s longest-ever slump against a single opponent.

“This is different - because I’m not sad after the game,” Browns fullback Lawrence Vickers said, breaking into a hearty laugh. “We’re actually able to celebrate after playing Pittsburgh. I’ve never had that feeling before.

“But I’m happiest for the fans because this game meant more to them than any other. It’s an exciting feeling to give them something back after all the support they’ve shown us.”

In the Steelers locker room, Coach Mike Tomlin called it the low point of the season and wide receiver Hines Ward said it was “embarrassing.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was downright salty, dismissing initial interview requests before returning for a brief chat.

“Give them credit, I guess,” he said. “We struggled offensively in every way. They brought a bunch of different blitzes and made things hard for us. We didn’t play well.”

No, the Steelers didn’t, but the Browns finally did, in their most important game of the season.

Apparently, good things do come to those who wait. Especially those who brave a minus-6 degree wind chill to watch their favorite team.

“We have so much potential to be a great team, and it really means a lot for us to get a win,” said Cleveland running back Chris Jennings, who scored the game-winning touchdown on a 10-yard run.

“It’s just joy, a long time coming. Thank God. Thank (coach Eric) Mangini for sticking with us and not giving up. The best is yet to come.”

I have some down time so I've been catching up on my reading and I'm posting all of the good articles that I find.

link

Unlike many of his Browns teammates, Brady Quinn never had to be taught to dislike the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Central Ohio native grew up a Cleveland fan and fantasized about playing in one of the NFL’s classic rivalries.

Quinn finally got to live out his dream Thursday night - and made the most of it - by directing the Browns to a 13-6 win over the Steelers.

“It’s hard to describe how I feel because I’m so happy for our team, our coaches and our fans,” he said after becoming the first Cleveland quarterback to beat Pittsburgh since Tim Couch on Oct. 5, 2003. “It’s been a long time coming.

“Personally, I wish I would have had a better game, but this really shows how much character we have on our team. It’s incredible, and I hope it’s the start of a lot of good things for us.”

Though it’s long been known Quinn bleeds orange and brown, his actions as the clock wound down were enough to warm the hearts of the bone-chilled fans in attendance.

The Notre Dame golden boy happily skipped along the sideline, exchanging hugs and congratulations with everyone in sight. He then walked onto the field to soak in the moment, saluting the hearty souls who stayed until the end.

Several thousand of them promptly reciprocated Quinn’s gesture by staying in their seats until he finished a live interview with NFL Network, showering him with the cheers befitting a conquering hero as he ran into the tunnel.

“You could see the fans hanging around after the game, high-fiving everyone,” Browns linebacker David Bowens said. “I’ve only been here a little while, but you could see how much this means to them. (We’ve only got) two wins, but we can salvage a little bit of morale by beating Pittsburgh.”

The one-touchdown victory not only likely knocked the Super Bowl champion Steelers out of the playoff race, it also snapped two ridiculously long droughts for Cleveland.

First, it ended the Browns’ franchise-worst home losing streak at 10 games. Only 21 current players were on the roster when they beat the New York Giants on Oct. 13, 2008, for their last win at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Second, it marked the first time the Browns have beaten Pittsburgh in 13 tries. The 12 straight losses against the Steelers represented Cleveland’s longest-ever slump against a single opponent.

“This is different - because I’m not sad after the game,” Browns fullback Lawrence Vickers said, breaking into a hearty laugh. “We’re actually able to celebrate after playing Pittsburgh. I’ve never had that feeling before.

“But I’m happiest for the fans because this game meant more to them than any other. It’s an exciting feeling to give them something back after all the support they’ve shown us.”

In the Steelers locker room, Coach Mike Tomlin called it the low point of the season and wide receiver Hines Ward said it was “embarrassing.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was downright salty, dismissing initial interview requests before returning for a brief chat.

“Give them credit, I guess,” he said. “We struggled offensively in every way. They brought a bunch of different blitzes and made things hard for us. We didn’t play well.”

No, the Steelers didn’t, but the Browns finally did, in their most important game of the season.

Apparently, good things do come to those who wait. Especially those who brave a minus-6 degree wind chill to watch their favorite team.

“We have so much potential to be a great team, and it really means a lot for us to get a win,” said Cleveland running back Chris Jennings, who scored the game-winning touchdown on a 10-yard run.

“It’s just joy, a long time coming. Thank God. Thank (coach Eric) Mangini for sticking with us and not giving up. The best is yet to come.”

Props to your D to Rex Ryan and to Cribbs. Brady Quinn ?? Whatever...

I know not many wanna give props to Quinn for this game but I think he did exactly what we needed him to do for this game. That is manage.

Sure he didn't put up Big Ben's numbers, but Big Ben threw the ball 32 times in conditions where he shouldn't have been, yeah some of his passes were off and some were almost INT's but I believe that can be fixed.

Quinn didn't put up big numbers, he didn't throw any TD's, and he didn't make a game winning drive happen in the last 2 minutes. What he did do was make no key mistakes (fumble, INT) and he trusted the running game for the W.

as the DA pounders said when he went 2-17 against our win vs buffalo. All that matter is he got the win.

i don't really agree with that, but at least BQ didn't make any mistakes, and made a few key plays to help get us in scoring position, and in the end, thats what really counts.

as the DA pounders said when he went 2-17 against our win vs buffalo. All that matter is he got the win.

i don't really agree with that, but at least BQ didn't make any mistakes, and made a few key plays to help get us in scoring position, and in the end, thats what really counts.

The difference between this game and Buffalo: the Steelers are actually a good football team, for the most part. They're just on a terrible slide. The Bills, however, were cataclysmically bad when we played them. Granted, they are playing a slightly better caliber of football now since Jauron got the ax.

I know not many wanna give props to Quinn for this game but I think he did exactly what we needed him to do for this game. That is manage.

Sure he didn't put up Big Ben's numbers, but Big Ben threw the ball 32 times in conditions where he shouldn't have been, yeah some of his passes were off and some were almost INT's but I believe that can be fixed.

Quinn didn't put up big numbers, he didn't throw any TD's, and he didn't make a game winning drive happen in the last 2 minutes. What he did do was make no key mistakes (fumble, INT) and he trusted the running game for the W.

Agreed. Under the weather conditions that he had to deal with, BQ played it smart and there is nothing wrong with that. In these last 3 games, BQ needs to build some momentum and be consistent. He needs to make the necessary improvements in his game and continue to have a well balanced attack by managing the o, stretching the field when possible and protecting the football. Hopefully Dumboll will be creative on o and not restrict BQ to run, run, pass.

Archived