THE BROWNS BOARD

Wildcat Formation

kshutchins

over the last 30 years the qb position is the only position that has not evolved its just a matter of time. out with the old and in with the new! wc works, numbers dont lie

Theres no doubt the WC works wonders i like it as something to force defenses to stay honest when they are otherwise shutting us down ,i do think its a shame our system does not (yet) have cribbs tossing the rock more often ,the options would/could be overwelming to many defenses...;)

I'm always opposed to putting players out of position. When you WC it, unless you have a fantastically athletic QB, you're putting him out on an island. He'll do nothing split out at the WR spot. At the same time, you put the blal into a guy's hands who's not an NFL caliber QB and ask him to take a snap, make decisions, and sometimes (God forbid) throw a pass. What ARE the numbers that suppor the WC? And I don't mean at the HS or collegiate level. Seems like you're asking for turnovers in the WC.

I'm always opposed to putting players out of position. When you WC it, unless you have a fantastically athletic QB, you're putting him out on an island. He'll do nothing split out at the WR spot.

That's why the dolphins take the qb out of the game when they run it and bring in an extra blocker. Its a running formation plain and simple and the dolphins and also cribbs the other night showed it can be a very successful one

That's why the dolphins take the qb out of the game when they run it and bring in an extra blocker. Its a running formation plain and simple and the dolphins and also cribbs the other night showed it can be a very successful one

It's a successful scheme as a change of pace formation. If a team were to run the "WildDawg" as it's base offense, it would eventually get shut down, and then teams would revert back to what always works- basic football. I-form, Pro, Singleback- they will always be around for one reason. They work. They are tried and true. I love the WildDawg, I draw up formations and plays all day in class. But it's not the future of football, it's just a contributing factor to the evolution of the game. It won't go away, but it won't take over either. It's just another formation for defenses to have to plan for.

It's a successful scheme as a change of pace formation. If a team were to run the "WildDawg" as it's base offense, it would eventually get shut down, and then teams would revert back to what always works- basic football. I-form, Pro, Singleback- they will always be around for one reason. They work. They are tried and true. I love the WildDawg, I draw up formations and plays all day in class. But it's not the future of football, it's just a contributing factor to the evolution of the game. It won't go away, but it won't take over either. It's just another formation for defenses to have to plan for.

I read one article that said, "The WildDawg takes an inordinate amount of time in practice." I wasn't clear on whether this was for the offense or the defense or both. I imagine the amount of time it takes varies with the amount of experience a team has with it. Certainly, if defenses have to plan for it, there's an additional burden in preparation for the game.

Its only a matter of time before Defenses realize the way to stop it is to play man on the two WRs, bring 6 on the blitz, two guys covering the perimeter, and one guy spying in the middle. Make the RB throw under pressure (good luck with that), or have 9 guys covering the run (again, good luck finding a running lane). I think Defenses now get nervous when they see the formation and it keeps their feet frozen for a second and that allows the Offense to develope the play. And coaches are afraid to play that agressively on defense because it is ultra aggressive. Once they follow my plan above, which resembles the field goal defense, the WildDawg will be nomore.

Its only a matter of time before Defenses realize the way to stop it is to play man on the two WRs, bring 6 on the blitz, two guys covering the perimeter, and one guy spying in the middle. Make the RB throw under pressure (good luck with that), or have 9 guys covering the run (again, good luck finding a running lane). I think Defenses now get nervous when they see the formation and it keeps their feet frozen for a second and that allows the Offense to develope the play. And coaches are afraid to play that agressively on defense because it is ultra aggressive. Once they follow my plan above, which resembles the field goal defense, the WildDawg will be nomore.

WildDawg will work until d's learn how to stop it, then you are dead in water..

imo you can't bank on it....it is more of a gadget play then anything...something to catch d's off guard with

I read one article that said, "The WildDawg takes an inordinate amount of time in practice." I wasn't clear on whether this was for the offense or the defense or both. I imagine the amount of time it takes varies with the amount of experience a team has with it. Certainly, if defenses have to plan for it, there's an additional burden in preparation for the game.

I would assume it takes an inordinate amount of time for both sides of the ball to practice, but I would imagine the defensive practices would get the raw end of the deal, especially if a team runs the WildDawg heavily. It is a pretty complex formation, but the offensive rules behind seem pretty simple. For the most part, it's either zone or base, and the "RB" (whomever that may be) just has to read which hole to hit. It's much harder for a defense to practice "read and react" than it is for an offense to practice running a play. The WildDawg is here to stay, and football is all the better for it. I just don't see a team running a majority of their plays out of WildDawg.

I would comment that

1) It DOES do something with the QB...it forces a defender to cover him even if he's not a running threat.

2) The WildDawg seems most effective when there is a legitimate threat of the pass. Ronnie Brown and the Dolphins practice it a lot but he also throws well and has thrown well in games out of that formation. I was at Foxboro when they unveiled it and let me tell you that it was a thing of beauty. They ran and passed their way down the field. Last week notwithstanding, I've never been impressed with the Josh Cribbs version because there is no passing threat. Show me the threat of a pass and I'll be thrilled.

WildDawg will work until d's learn how to stop it, then you are dead in water..

imo you can't bank on it....it is more of a gadget play then anything...something to catch d's off guard with

I posted this elsewhere:

A gadget play? This author disagrees:

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Is It Time To Remove "Gimmick" From The WildDawg In The NFL?

Now that the one year anniversary of the WildDawg formation (notice I don't call it an 'offense', because it actually falls into a formation category in the long tail of the spread offense family) is behind us, and the Miami Dolphins celebrated the one year birthday with another display of solid execution in the WildDawg, could we all stop calling it a 'gimmick'?

Think back to the creation of the the 'zone blitz' on the defensive side of the ball, when Dick LeBeau, Defensive Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers unleashed it on the NFL in the early 90's... was that called a 'gimmick'.. or 'brilliance'?

Think about it... what's more 'gimmicky', dropping a 300 pound defensive linemen into pass coverage, or putting an athletic running back into a single wing shot gun formation?

In Super Bowl XLIII when James Harrison returned an interception 100 yards for the Steelers on a zone blitz call, I don't remember any of the TV announcers saying: "Boy, that zone blitz gimmick really had the Cardinals offense off balance on that play".

Anyone who knows anything about football knows that schemes are only as good as the execution of the players performing the scheme.

Lets start praising the player execution of the WildDawg formation, and not some made up 'gimmick' pixie dust that TV announcers and certain journalists will have you believe is the only thing making the WildDawg a success in the NFL.

Keep spreading u'm,

Mark

www.SpreadOffense.com

I was looking for info about the WildDawg formation and found this website. Looks pretty cool so I thought some of y'all might be interested.

http://www.spreadoffense.com/

Thanks. It's the future of the league.

People might as well embrace it because it's going to be around for 25 years.

Teams can play twenty yards off the QB, meaning they can be right in the mix of things to help stop the run or force a crap throw from an ill-prepared thrower (because even Cribbs isn't an NFL QB).

Teams can play twenty yards off the QB, meaning they can be right in the mix of things to help stop the run or force a crap throw from an ill-prepared thrower (because even Cribbs isn't an NFL QB).

Maybe, maybe not.

If you have to be concerned about a qb running the ball a little bit, then possibly you relax on coverage a little making it where a less than great passer can actually complete passes??

The spread eliminates the man advantage a defense has....it is one more person to cover...and that creates a problem.

It's why it always ticked people off when a QB like Tarkenton would scramble around and then take off for a 15 yard gain....friggen QB's aren't supposed to run!!

LOL....they will be.

If Tebow is there when we pick in round 2, I take him in a heartbeat.

Too bad he is off the board by pick 20.

^ Yeah, there are certainly teams better suited for the WC than others. I don't understand putting the QB on the field unless you're going to do something with him. Quinn is athletic, made a nice catch, but I don't look at him as a real threat out of the WC. I would cheat way off him if I were a DB. And if it were Anderson, I wouldn't even look at him.

i like the WildDawg because defenses can't cheat, plain and simple. it levels the playing field. i believe Cribbs would pass if they didn't respect his ability to throw, just like when he threw that rainbow to Quinn.

inititially installing the package our WC probably consumed it's share of practice time, but by now--considering even Chud/RAC ran a version of it--teams like ours where it generally makes it into the gameplan every week by now are probably versed in the package enough where it's not a burden anymore.

teams that see it, like the AFCN where they see ours multiple times, might become more familiar over time...but those teams who may only see it once a season probably have it the worst of all and devote a great deal of that week's practice to it, thereby detracting significantly from other areas.

possibly best of all, there's a chance we might not even use it AT ALL--i really like that about it, regarding the opposing team's preparation. they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Archived