THE BROWNS BOARD

Team building praised by Hall of famer

peterbell

This is what I'm talking about..'doing it the right way.

Browns notebook: Team building praised by hall of famer

Cleveland legend Jim Brown says Mangini smart to have players say good things about teammates

By Marla Ridenour

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 08:58 p.m. EST, Dec 14, 2009

BEREA: Only three games remain in a disappointing 2-11 season, but Browns coach Eric Mangini hasn't stopped trying to build chemistry.

As the Browns celebrated their 13-6 upset of the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday, Hall of Fame running back and executive adviser Jim Brown lauded Mangini for what he'd done in a team meeting that day.

''He picked four or five different individuals and they talked about someone on the other side of ball,'' Brown said. ''They talked about the things they're most impressed by. That's not done in pro ball too often.''

While the tactic might sound more befitting Ohio State coach Jim Tressel, it fits with Mangini's goal to foster a family atmosphere. And some of his veterans seemed to appreciate the session.

''Sometimes guys need to hear how their teammates feel about them,'' defensive end Robaire Smith said.'' 'I believe in you. I trust you.' ''

Linebacker David Bowens said it gave him an entirely different perspective.

''I'm really concerned about 'How am I making the calls for the defensive line? What do they think about me? What does the secondary think of me?'' Bowens said. ''To hear an offensive player say, 'I appreciate this about you,' it just lets us know that this is a team thing. It's not just offense and defense — it is during practice and in and meetings. But on game day it's a team thing.

''I think it builds trust and it also builds character. You learned a lot by what the guy said, but you also learned a lot by who said it. That says a lot about the guys and the character we have on this team. What the guy said really meant something and everyone took it to heart.''

Mangini said he still sees the players becoming closer.

''Everybody interacts with everybody else, it's not by position group,'' Mangini said. ''They have a good time with each other. They support each other in meetings. They use words like family when they talk about each other. It's what you're looking for. You're looking for chemistry. You play harder for guys that you like. There's a different level of intensity when you care about each other and really understand that everybody is working for everybody else.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this seems like a really good idea. i have to admit, i was never a mangini guy and wanted him to be fired for most of the season. however now i am starting to believe in his philosophy and i hope he sticks around for at least another season. go browns.

You guys who hate Mangini are right! What a tyranical, egotistical, dim-witted, ass this coach is! Even with all of that All-pro talent on this team, he's only managed to squeak out 2 wins and has yet, I repeat, has yet to give the media a tasty sound byte! Boy, I would give anything to have Romeo or Butch back here. As we all know, its all about the sound byte! Right media!

Seriously though, this coach has yet to do a single thing wrong with this team. All he is doing is building a Browns team in the mold of the great 80's teams and building it for the long haul. ANY Browns fan who doesn't love what he is doing DOES NOT KNOW what they are seeing each Sunday and I feel bad for them. You miss an aweful lot of the game when you only recognize TDs and INTs.

PS. Rizzo, a well documented Mangini hater, along with that slow kid Daryl on WKNR, did a lot of backtracking yesterday when they realized most fans want to see Mangini here for at least another year. It felt good to hear the media eat their words for once when callers sided with Mangini.

Interesting point was made in one of the national media outlets. That point is that Lerner Jr. needs to rid himself of former Browns players who appear to have an abundant amount of influence on him but lack the knowledge, etc. to provide good, solid advice.

God bless Jim Brown but he has been out of the game for over 40 years. He was a great, great player, but a player.

this seems like a really good idea. i have to admit, i was never a mangini guy and wanted him to be fired for most of the season. however now i am starting to believe in his philosophy and i hope he sticks around for at least another season. go browns.

Thats a real man , be able to come on this board and say ..I might have mis judged, most people are incapable of this character trait..good for you

Think Grossi, Shaw, Cabot have this character trait..very doubtful

Interesting point was made in one of the national media outlets. That point is that Lerner Jr. needs to rid himself of former Browns players who appear to have an abundant amount of influence on him but lack the knowledge, etc. to provide good, solid advice.

God bless Jim Brown but he has been out of the game for over 40 years. He was a great, great player, but a player.

Yeah....that's an interesting point. Was it by Bummer Esiason, or Dilfer? Why not severe all ties with all former Browns players, since the new Browns organization certainly doesn't resemble the old Browns as a professional football team? In fact, let's just change the name of the team, so we won't have to deal with pains in the ass like Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, etc. What do these losers know about football....after all, they were just players.

Yeah....that's an interesting point. Was it by Bummer Esiason, or Dilfer? Why not severe all ties with all former Browns players, since the new Browns organization certainly doesn't resemble the old Browns as a professional football team? In fact, let's just change the name of the team, so we won't have to deal with pains in the ass like Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, etc. What do these losers know about football....after all, they were just players.

That's my point, lollipop.

I think mangini has done plenty of things wrong ,slow or backwards but he is only human ,what i fear the most from mangenius is he is stubborn and may not learn from his mistakes or even acknowledge he made any mistakes ,while im neutral on mangini i dont have much confidence in the man or his plan..

Jim brown is just another lerner mouthpiece and i dont read into what he says much these days...its looking to me to like ruskell will be our gm and mangini will remain the coach..and i will have no high anticipations or hopes about the next few years ,winning 5 games in each year will be an amazing feat with that setup...

I think mangini has done plenty of things wrong ,slow or backwards but he is only human ,what i fear the most from mangenius is he is stubborn and may not learn from his mistakes or even acknowledge he made any mistakes ,while im neutral on mangini i dont have much confidence in the man or his plan..

Jim brown is just another lerner mouthpiece and i dont read into what he says much these days...its looking to me to like ruskell will be our gm and mangini will remain the coach..and i will have no high anticipations or hopes about the next few years ,winning 5 games in each year will be an amazing feat with that setup...

Apparently Gips you don't possess the above character trait.

Along this same line, what happened to Bernie Kosar and his role? He comes in, boasts that he has full access to the facilities, recommends Brady Quinn seek playing time elsewhere ... and .. poof! Kosar is heard from no more, Quinn is starting and getting better with each game, the Mangini camp has continuity and growing into a loving family, the phantom incoming czar is no longer mistaken for the wizard behind the green curtain and everythjing is growing just peachy ... but what happened to Kosar?

It is as if Randy Lerner runs into these guys like Kosar, Jim Brown, or Ron Wolf at the grocery store, hands them them the keys to the place and invites them over, then Lerner sails off to Europe and these guys stand around looking out of place and no one else seems to know why they are here or what their role is.

I gotta start shopping where Randy shops, and get me a key.

As usual, national media is clueless if this is about Jim Brown, Chico.

Jim Brown has a tremendous amount of influence both inside and outside the sphere of NFL football.

Some players have a hard time relating to guys like Mangini and Belichick who never played the game at a high level. Even NFL coaches who played the game at the highest level were not star players. Brown carries locker room and street cred. LA gangs will listen to him, NFL football players will listen to him.

Brown isn't an adviser to Lerner, he's a player relations resource and a very valuable one.

If Lerner is guilty of anything, it's listening to the fans and local and national media outlets -- comprised of a bunch of people who never played the game at any level, coached the game at any level, or even have a clue about the intricacies of building an NFL franchise like managing the salary cap.

I didn't even put much stock into what JB said or what anyone else says. I am more interested in the story itself and what Mangini is doing with the team. THAT is what we should be focused on, not "who said it". With that said, I love what Mangini is doing here and I will stand by that until just 1 of the media gossip "stories" proves true or at least, can't be proven wrong. So far they are what? 0-30 or something like that?

I didn't even put much stock into what JB said or what anyone else says. I am more interested in the story itself and what Mangini is doing with the team. THAT is what we should be focused on, not "who said it". With that said, I love what Mangini is doing here and I will stand by that until just 1 of the media gossip "stories" proves true or at least, can't be proven wrong. So far they are what? 0-30 or something like that?

The media is always looking for the negative. There must of been some study done that this type of reporting sells more newspapers or will help enhance your career. One would think their would have been a million articles nationally on "How a rookie head coach is undefeated in the NFL". The Indy guy, but not one story..not one...good news doesn't sell, gossip, sensationalism sells...regardless if their is ANY truth to it. Facts are non existant just speculation and opinion.and most posters here are WAY more intelligent then the writers, bloggers, reporters..etc

I am feeling the exact same way. When we hired Mangini I didn't hate the hire but I was puzzled by the fact that he was the only one interviewed for the HC job. Then I really didn't like the way he handled the QB position by yanking Quinn so quickly when everybody knew DA was done as a starting QB. The losses piled up and like most fans I got frustrated with the fact that this team was losing instead of looking at how the team was still playing their hearts out for a coach who they supposedly "hated". I was so frustrated that I was starting to think Mangini should be axed after this season and save ourselves the trouble of another rebuild down the road.

This past Steeler game really got me thinking though. If this had been last year or any of the other years where we were already finished and had absolutely nothing to play for I really think we would have not played as hard and the Steelers would have won. But the team I saw Thursday night was a team that was determined to prove that they were indeed better then their record dictates and wasn't going to roll over and die because they were 1-11. Sure a rivalry game helped that mindset but I can only point to Mangini and say that guy has instilled that mindset in this team.

I was wrong about Mangini and I truly believe he has us going in the right direction. We just have to be patient.

As much as people have started to see improvement and perhaps rethink their position on Mangini, does it not strike anyone as odd that after beating Pittsburgh (a huge game by any measure) that the owner simply texted the coach? I don't know Mr. Lerner but I would think that with such a big win, he'd want to at least congratulate these players (and coaches) for a great victory.

I text a fair amount but I don't find it to be a personable way to communicate. Simply, if one of my employees does a great job, face-to-face does far more to bond and inspire the employees that I am pleased with.

If he was in the locker room early on in the season when they were losing, it would make a far bigger impact (in my mind) if he could follow that up now that they've won a game they weren't supposed to. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

As much as people have started to see improvement and perhaps rethink their position on Mangini, does it not strike anyone as odd that after beating Pittsburgh (a huge game by any measure) that the owner simply texted the coach? I don't know Mr. Lerner but I would think that with such a big win, he'd want to at least congratulate these players (and coaches) for a great victory.

I text a fair amount but I don't find it to be a personable way to communicate. Simply, if one of my employees does a great job, face-to-face does far more to bond and inspire the employees that I am pleased with.

If he was in the locker room early on in the season when they were losing, it would make a far bigger impact (in my mind) if he could follow that up now that they've won a game they weren't supposed to. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

If he was at the game - I don't know if he was or not - then I find it very odd. If he wasn't there, well...........................

Apparently the Man and the Kok werent on speaking terms. Does anybody know the relationship between the Man and the Boy?

I think I read somewhere he was in attendance..The biggest win in 2 years he he doesn't go down and hand out some back slaps to players and coaches, at least the head coach..Thats would be a very odd thing to do..

Whats the read on that from the masses on this board?

Thats a real man , be able to come on this board and say ..I might have mis judged, most people are incapable of this character trait..good for you

Think Grossi, Shaw, Cabot have this character trait..very doubtful

another +1- I wanted Mangini gone at the bye- but you know what? We're starting to see P-R-O-G-R-E-S-S. It's too bad it took until the second Bengals game to notice it.

Mangini beat the Steelers with a bunch of second teamers and practice squad players.

was jim browns really that good? he does not have a super bowl ring.

Neither does Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, or a couple dozen other HOFers.

Are you really that stupid? FYI, None of the the Steeler teams pre- 1966 have any NFL Championship rings either buccko, in fact they sucked big time.

Brown retired in 1965 @ 29 years old as the all time leading rusher with 12,000+ yards, and the next closest guy had 7,000. JB had nothing left to prove. If he had done a Jerry Rice or Bret Farve and played until he was 40 (Brown never missed a game) he'd still hold the all-time rushing record. And he probably would have picked up a SB ring or two in the process- the Browns came mighty close to beating the Packers for the chance to play in SB I- which incidentally wasn't even called the Super Bowl at the time- it was the NFL-AFL Championship game.

Oh, and Brown set the record in the years of 12 and 14 game seasons.

Neutral on Mangini? Did you really just say that? :blink:

??????????????????????????????

Your original post mentioned a national media source speculating that Lerner tends to be easily influenced by former Browns players who know nothing about football (Jim Brown, Bernie Kosar, I suspect they had in mind). I assumed that you agree with that theory, which I do not. I named Dilfer or Esiason most likely being that source, as they tend to turn any Cleveland topic into a negative. Really, I have no idea who you were talking about. My response was completely sarcastic, as if to say "what the fu** qualifies the source to have more insight into the Browns' situation than Jim Brown or Bernie Kosar?" Got it Chickpee?

Archived