THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns' Mangini not committing to quarterback Quinn long-term

mastadave99999

Cleveland Browns' Mangini not committing to quarterback Quinn long-term

By Mark J. Miller

“BradyCleveland Browns quarterback Brady Quinn(notes) apparently has three games to prove that he's worth committing to, three games to show the team that it shouldn't draft a quarterback when the draft rolls around or spend the off-season trying to trade for somebody.

Browns head coach Eric Mangini says he isn't yet banking on Quinn as the quarterback of the future, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "We're going to look at the whole body of work and all of the different things -- and not just for Brady but for the group -- and see where we are and assess it at that point as opposed to doing it right now," Mangini said yesterday.

Of course Quinn might have nothing to worry about since it isn't clear if Mangini will even be in Cleveland next season.

Source: Cleveland Plain DealerNew Window

Exactly, do be honest what is the point of this statement. This is what bothers me about mangini. I dont want any more controversy over the quarterback. Wait till the draft at least.

The leagues understanding of Brady Quinn is that it is impossible to rate him being that he is surrounded by a bunch of rookie recievers and linemen with absolutely no running game.

All i know is that he threw 7 tds over 3 games and no interceptions. Against the steelers he was terrible but it was 13 degrees with 40 mph gusts and big ben didn't do that hot either. Give the kid your vote of confidence Mangini, some people need approval.

This is a typical example of how the media spins Mangini's comments into something they are not.

"We're going to look at the whole body of work and all of the different things -- and not just for Brady but for the group -- and see where we are and assess it at that point as opposed to doing it right now,"

It wouldn't be very exciting to write, "Mangini will be preparing for the draft like every other NFL coach by assessing the talent on the Browns."

This is a typical example of how the media spins Mangini's comments into something they are not.

"We're going to look at the whole body of work and all of the different things -- and not just for Brady but for the group -- and see where we are and assess it at that point as opposed to doing it right now,"

It wouldn't be very exciting to write, "Mangini will be preparing for the draft like every other NFL coach by assessing the talent on the Browns."

Thank you..Is Mangini commited to Roth, Pool, Cribbs, Thomas, Barton.??.WTF..Its a Bulls**t loaded question.

Mangini gave the freakin EXACT answer any head coach should give and they turn it into some BS headline like Mangini is wafflling

I'm so sick of these half ass reporters I can't even read the newspaper anymore..seriously

EXACTLY! The article is pointless. This is just like every other story about Mangini. Spin, spin, spin, until it gets some legs and gets the writer noticed. They hate him. They hate him because the way he runs his team requires reporters to actually work. Their job revolves areound recording an awesome sound byte or printing an awesome quote. Without those those two items present to do their jobs for them, they don't know what to do. Out of frustration, they aim towards the source. In this case, Mangini, because instead of throwing them nuggets, he worries about football and his team. What a bastard! He just used this article as a chance to say " it isn't clear if Mangini will even be in Cleveland next season". Why does anybody read this crap?

I agree that that quote doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

As a piece of a larger puzzler, however, it really makes me wonder whether Mangini has any idea how to instill confidence in his players. Before the past few weeks, I would have said "No" without a doubt. Recently, he has been a bit more forthcoming with the praise. Maybe it is all spin.

EXACTLY! The article is pointless. This is just like every other story about Mangini. Spin, spin, spin, until it gets some legs and gets the writer noticed. They hate him. They hate him because the way he runs his team requires reporters to actually work. Their job revolves areound recording an awesome sound byte or printing an awesome quote. Without those those two items present to do their jobs for them, they don't know what to do. Out of frustration, they aim towards the source. In this case, Mangini, because instead of throwing them nuggets, he worries about football and his team. What a bastard! He just used this article as a chance to say " it isn't clear if Mangini will even be in Cleveland next season". Why does anybody read this crap?

I agree. You got me to thinking...

Is it more likely that people will read your article or listen to your radio show if you write about a controversial figure?

This is by NO MEANS scientific, but, Googling the coaches' names results in :

Brad Childress: 360,000 hits*

Ken Whisenhunt: 190,000

Sean Payton: 580,000*

Andy Reid: 308,000

Bill Belichick: 1,250,000

Jim Caldwell: 165,000*

Norv Turner: 240,000

Marvin Lewis: 198,000*

These are the division leaders. Now, let's look at these:

Wade Phillips: 801,000*

Rex Ryan: 1,400,000

Jim Schwarz: 5,600,000*

Raheem Morris: 21,800,000

Clearly, losing and controversy (as well as being named 'Bill Belichick') results in people searching for you.

Where is Eric Mangini today? 518,000

* I googled the name plus the team name since these names are a bit more common)

Just a thought....

agreed. the media has their hidden agendas and alterior motives, so it's always best that fans look a little deeper into things and not just look at it for face value.

Wait? So we are 2-11, and have a QB that has won 1 game and has thrown for under 10 TD's - and our Head Coach says that we are going to evaluate are options. And the media finds a way to make him the bad guy?

I feel bad for Mr. Mangini. ESPN has ruined him for anybody that hasn't done their research on how football smart this man is.

This article is a waste of time.

You are absolutely correct. The only thing that you forgot about (and so too did Mangini) is that in addressing such matters, as a coach, you should understand that a QB's confidence level is very key to his success.

Mangini royally screwed with BOTH his QBs confidence this season (not to mention their trade value), saying that the winner of the QB competition would be given the security to succeed and then pulling the plug on Quinn after 2.5 games.

So while of course, he'll assess every position in the offseason and no one on a 2-14 team is safe, he missed a golden opportunity to publicly talk about the GOOD things Quinn has done of late, giving him a bit more confidence in himself and his ability to reach his potential.

In other words, if Mangini were a smart coach he'd state the obvious (as he tried to do) but then go on to strenghten his QB's confidence in the short and potentially long term by choosing his comments wisely.

#59 in a long list of reasons why Mangini wll likely be looking for work in the offseason.

You are absolutely correct. The only thing that you forgot about (and so too did Mangini) is that in addressing such matters, as a coach, you should understand that a QB's confidence level is very key to his success.

Mangini royally screwed with BOTH his QBs confidence this season (not to mention their trade value), saying that the winner of the QB competition would be given the security to succeed and then pulling the plug on Quinn after 2.5 games.

So while of course, he'll assess every position in the offseason and no one on a 2-14 team is safe, he missed a golden opportunity to publicly talk about the GOOD things Quinn has done of late, giving him a bit more confidence in himself and his ability to reach his potential.

In other words, if Mangini were a smart coach he'd state the obvious (as he tried to do) but then go on to strenghten his QB's confidence in the short and potentially long term by choosing his comments wisely.

#59 in a long list of reasons why Mangini wll likely be looking for work in the offseason.

Wrong.

You act as though the QB is some emotionally fragile waif. Give me a break. He's a professional football player paid to play his best. I'm not saying it's been great management but I will offer that he gave Quinn the job out of camp and he was pathetic. He had to turn to DA and that was even worse. Then he was in a corner. If you pull the plug twice in the first six weeks then you're really waffling. He rode out DA as far as he could and switched back. This time Quinn was more up to the task but he missed on MOST throws against the Steelers. If he hits ANY of those fourth quarter passes with under eight minutes....they chew up clock and run the thing out.

Wrong.

You act as though the QB is some emotionally fragile waif. Give me a break. He's a professional football player paid to play his best. I'm not saying it's been great management but I will offer that he gave Quinn the job out of camp and he was pathetic. He had to turn to DA and that was even worse. Then he was in a corner. If you pull the plug twice in the first six weeks then you're really waffling. He rode out DA as far as he could and switched back. This time Quinn was more up to the task but he missed on MOST throws against the Steelers. If he hits ANY of those fourth quarter passes with under eight minutes....they chew up clock and run the thing out.

Wrong. Every player is different. They need to be handled different.

Bill Parcells is an excellent case in point. He knew that even as a #1 pick Drew Bledsoe was a sensitive player who needed to have his confidence fostered and nurtured early in his career. He treated him accordingly and it paid off.

Terry Glenn meanwhile needed a wake up call and a fire lit under him. Parcells treated "her" accordingly and it paid off.

One coach - but not one style of dealing with players - and a proven success as a coach.

Mangini is one coach who does seem to have one style of dealing with players and he's yet to prove himself a success.

How Quinn could be the least bit "confident" after a long drawn out battle to be named the starter, be told he would be given the security and support in that position, only to have Mangini pull the rug out from under him after 2.5 games, and then make Quinn sit on the bench for far longer than 2.5 games when Anderson proved himself far worse than Quinn, yet the coach clearly believed Anderson was better than Quinn...

How is that supposed to help boost the confidence of a young QB who has nothing in his NFL career thus far in which to draw a sense of confidence from?

Confidence is very important when a QB needs to gun a ball through tight coverage, having the confidence that he can take a chance and have it pay off - and the confidence to know that if he takes a chance he won't be benched after another 2.5 games.

This is what Mangini has "built" in Cleveland and I can't see how a fresh start would be a bad thing for the entire organization.

Judging Brady Quinn as a QB with what we have as far as receivers, o-line, running backs, etc. is like judging a highly skilled surgeon while asking him to use a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to operate on someone with.

I agree but I think that as the offensive tools around him improve, we need to see more games where he looks like Chad Pennington than Heath Shuler. He had trouble beating out DEREK ANDERSON for God's sake. I wasn't a fan before and I won't say that I am one now but his work ethic needs to stay strong and he needs to build on the last few games. There is absolutely no reason why he can't have big days against KC and the Raiders.

Archived