THE BROWNS BOARD

Teams of the Decades/Dynasties

The Gipper

I have put together a statistical compilation that computes which team was the "Team of the Decade" for each decade in history, going back to the 20s. It is pretty simple really. I awarded 4 points for a Championship be that a title won before 1933 when playoffs began or any of the titles won as a result of a playoff in the NFL, AFL, AAFC. I awarded two points for losing the title game (Super Bowl or AFL/NFL etc. title game), or for coming in second place in pre-1933. I also gave one point for losing a conference championship game, or prior to 1966 losing a playoff game for a conference title. So here are the points accumulated by the various teams per decade:

1920s:

Bears..............14 points

Bulldogs..........12

Packers...........6

Giants.............6

YellowJackets...6

Pros................6

Steamroller......4

Cardinals.........4

Maroons..........2

1930s:

Packers..........22 points

Giants.............16

Bears..............12

Redskins...........6

Lions................6

1940s:

Bears............18 points

Browns..........16

Eagles............10

Redskins.........10

Giants.............7

Rams..............6

Cards.............6

Packers..........5

Yankees..........5

Bills................3

49ers..............2

Colts..............1

Steelers..........1

1950s:

Browns..........22 points

Lions.............14

Rams.............9

Giants............9

Colts..............8

Bears.............3

49ers.............1

1960s:

Packers..........22 points

Chargers........12

Oilers.............11

Bills...............10

Chiefs/Texans..10

Browns...........8

Giants............6

Colts..............5

Eagles............4

Bears.............4

Jets................4

Raiders..........4

Cowboys........2

Vikings...........2

1970s:

Steelers..........18 points

Cowboys.........16

Dolphins..........10

Raiders...........9

Vikings...........7

Rams.............6

Colts..............5

49ers.............2

Redskins........2

Broncos.........2

Oilers............2

Bucs.............1

80s:

49ers.........17 points

Redskins.....11

Raiders.......8

Bears.........6

Broncos........6

Dolphins.....5

Giants........4

Bengals......4

Browns......3

Cowboys....3

Eagles........2

Chargers....2

Pats...........2

Rams.........2

Jets............1

Seahawks...1

Steelers......1

Vikings.......1

Bills............1

90s:

Cowboys.....13 points

Broncos........9

Bills..............8

49ers............8

Packers.........7

Giants..........4

Redskins......4

Steelers......4

Rams.........4

Chargers....2

Patriots......2

Jaguars......2

Falcons......2

Titans........2

Bucs..........1

Jets...........1

Vikings.......1

Panthers.....1

Colts..........1

Chiefs........1

Dolphins.....1

Lions...........1

Raiders........1

Bucs..........1

2000s:

Patriots.......15 points

Steelers......10

Eagles.........6

Giants.........6

Ravens.......5

Colts..........5

Bucs..........4

Raiders......3

Panthers....3

Rams.........2

Seahawks..2

Bears.........2

Cardinals....2

Vikings......1

Titans........1

Falcons......1

Broncos.....1

Saints........1

Packers.....1

Chargers....1

There are obviously a few points left up for grabs in the 2000s, but no one is going to overtake the Pats as the team of this decade.

A few other salient points. The 30s and 50s were dominated by few teams, though there were many more in the leagues. The 90s were the most egalitarian decade with 24 teams scoring points. I was surprised that the Steelers margin of victory for team of the decade was so narrow over the Cowboys. The key to that closeness was that the Cowboys lost several Super Bowls and conference title games that decade to make it close. Though the Steelers won it 4 times, they only made a conference title game two other occasions. The most dominant decades were the Packers in the 60s, Browns in the 50s, and Packers in the 30s.

2 wins gets the browns fans excited. WOW

Remember, in 1969 the Steelers went 1-13 before becoming the team of the decade of the 70s. The 49ers were 2-14 in 1979 before becoming the team of the decade in the 80s, and the Cowboys were 1-15 in 1989 before becoming the team of the decade in the 90s, so don't scoff at the concept. It may be one of the real 'dregs' that become the king of football next decade.

Remember, in 1969 the Steelers went 1-13 before becoming the team of the decade of the 70s. The 49ers were 2-14 in 1979 before becoming the team of the decade in the 80s, and the Cowboys were 1-15 in 1989 before becoming the team of the decade in the 90s, so don't scoff at the concept. It may be one of the real 'dregs' that become the king of football next decade.

It always is! That's why the idea isn't so rediculous. When you look at the perennial bad teams

St. Louis - being sold and potentially moved

KC - Could be on their way back up

Oak - yeah right, A. Davis is still here

Det - can only improve

Cle - the most loyal fanbase and the only one with a long term plan in place. In my opinion, the most likely of the 5 to become a dynasty.

It always is! That's why the idea isn't so rediculous. When you look at the perennial bad teams

St. Louis - being sold and potentially moved

KC - Could be on their way back up

Oak - yeah right, A. Davis is still here

Det - can only improve

Cle - the most loyal fanbase and the only one with a long term plan in place. In my opinion, the most likely of the 5 to become a dynasty.

OK, but also note that the Patriots were a pretty good team in the 90s and the onset of their "dominance". The last 4 years of the 90s the Pats had a winning record or were .500. The Browns of course had won 4 titles in the 40s, and were only 2 points shy of being the team of the decade of the 40s before becoming the team of the decade of the 50s. I probably could have also included the Packers of the 50s in the "bad team later dominates" class. In 1957 they were 3-9, in 1958 they were 1-10. Then they hired Lombardi who took them to 7-5 in 1959 then onto dominance in the 60s.

So, the trend is for a quite bad team to ultimately become the "team of the decade" later.

Teams of the Decayed :)

2000s = Oakland, Detroit & sadly, Cleveland

1990s= Cincinnati

1980s= entire NFC Central

1970s= Houston, Buffalo

1960s & beyond....Pittsburgh

while we're on the subject of past accomplishments, why is it that steeler fans act as if the browns accomplishments in the past are now meaningless? they say there weren't many teams in those leagues back in the day and the browns pretty much had it easy. if that's the case, why did the steelers suck so bad back then? if it was so easy to win back then, why were the steelers the laughing stock of pro-football back then?

just like the gipper said, will they also deny greats like vince lombardi of their accomplishments just because it happened way back then? this is the nonsense that i speak of that constantly comes from steeler trolls. 100% utter nonsense.

Teams of the Decayed :)

2000s = Oakland, Detroit & sadly, Cleveland

1990s= Cincinnati

1980s= entire NFC Central

1970s= Houston, Buffalo

1960s & beyond....Pittsburgh

OK, perhaps. It might be worth it to do some compilation of the "worst teams" of each decade.

Though, I don't see Houston as being bad in the 70s. I mean that is the team with Earl Campbell who battled it out with the Steelers on at least two occasions. The Oilers at least got 2 points. There were 16 teams in that decade, including the Browns, who got none.

OK, perhaps. It might be worth it to do some compilation of the "worst teams" of each decade.

Though, I don't see Houston as being bad in the 70s. I mean that is the team with Earl Campbell who battled it out with the Steelers on at least two occasions. The Oilers at least got 2 points. There were 16 teams in that decade, including the Browns, who got none

Gipper-

Yes, the Oilers of 78 & 79 were good, losing to Pittsburgh twice in the AFC Championship (Renfro was IN, btw). I am referring to the Oiler teams who went 2-12 or 4-10 almost every year before that. Buffalo had a playoff team in the late 70s as well, but was generally hideous in the 70s.

I was just joking around, as you probably know. Hence the "decayed vs. decade" thing. I didn't mean to tarnish a good thread.

Gipper-

Yes, the Oilers of 78 & 79 were good, losing to Pittsburgh twice in the AFC Championship (Renfro was IN, btw). I am referring to the Oiler teams who went 2-12 or 4-10 almost every year before that. Buffalo had a playoff team in the late 70s as well, but was generally hideous in the 70s.

I was just joking around, as you probably know. Hence the "decayed vs. decade" thing. I didn't mean to tarnish a good thread.

Its OK. It led to another thread. Like with the Browns, this year we have to take the bad. In the past, and in the future (?) we will take the good.

Archived