THE BROWNS BOARD

Crappiest teams of each decade

The Gipper

OK, here is the antithesis to my other post. Someone asked for it so I have compiled the list of crappiest teams of each decade. This is a little less "scientific". All I have done here is compile which teams finished last or tied for last , in their division the most times in a decade. Simple as that. It doesn't take into account anything else. Not overall W-L record for the decade. A team could have won 2-3 titles in a particular decade, but if they finished last most times that same decade, they are listed here. For the 20s, it is simply who finished last the most of all the teams that played (Note that since like 2001 there have been 8 divisions, more than if prior history:

1920s:

Columbus Panhandles....3 times

Rochester Jeffersons......2

Dayton Triangles............2

1930s:

Cardinals.....5 times

Steelers.......4

Eagles.........4

1940s:

Lions....................4 times

Steelers...............3

Cardinals.............3

Chicago Rockets...3

1950s:

Cardinals.........6 times

Packers...........3

Colts...............2

Redskins.........2

Eagles.............2

Rams...............2

1960s:

Broncos..........6 times

Steelers..........4

Eagles.............4

49ers.............3

Vikings...........3

Oilers.............3

1970s:

Giants...........6 times

Saints............6

Bears.............5

Colts.............4

Eagles...........4

Oilers............4

Packers.........4

Chargers.......4

1980s:

Buccaneers.....6 times

Falcons...........6

Oilers..............5

Jets................4

Chargers........4

Chiefs............4

Colts.............4

1990s:

Rams.........8 times

Buccs.........6

Seahawks...5

Cardinals....5

Jets............4

Bears.........4

Colts..........4

Bengals.......4

2000s:

Lions.........6 times

Browns......6

Texans......5

Bills..........4

Raiders.....4

Cards........4

Wow, I didn't realize the Rams were so bad in the 90s. Dick Vermeil was indeed a genius for turning that around, and how could I forget the Saints in the 70s.

Nice work!!

Wow, I didn't realize the Rams were so bad in the 90s. Dick Vermeil was indeed a genius for turning that around, and how could I forget the Saints in the 70s.

Nice work!!

OK, but as you pointed out, it does show the Oilers coming in last 4 times in the 70s.

Just keep in mind that since like 2001 we have 8 divisions with 4 teams each, so, essentially, it may be easier to come in last now than before.

At other times there may have been 6-8-10 teams in a division/conference, so coming in last was "harder".

In fact, in going through this and compiling this, I found that I did not count some teams that may have been like 2-12 because another team in their division was 1-13. At other times I had to count a team that was in last place even though they had a winning record. So, the stats could have been a bit skewed, but overall, if you finish last enough times in a decade, it indicates a pretty bad team overall for that period.

Archived