THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Mike Holmgren Save the Cleveland Browns?

bonedawg

Will Mike Holmgren save the Cleveland Browns?

By MJD

Super Bowl winning head coach Mike Holmgren is in Cleveland today, talking with the Browns about becoming their new football czar/organizational savior.

Should Holmgren accept it, he would play basically the same role that Bill Parcells has played in Miami: He'd be in charge of pretty much everything football related, including team philosophy, personnel, and hiring and firing coaches and GMs.

Naturally, that brings us to Eric Mangini, the Browns' first-year coach who seemed to be doomed just a few weeks ago. But that was before the Steelers started their "Hey, maybe you shouldn't fire your head coach just yet" tour, which may have bought Mangini some time. A decision on whether or not to keep Mangini would be the first thing on Holmgren's plate if he took the gig.

It would be a great thing for the Browns if he did. Holmgren has been a coach, he's been a GM, he knows how an organization should work and he knows what it takes for a team to be a Super Bowl contender. He's gotten to that level with two different organizations.

Will he take the job? Well, the fact that he's in Cleveland and talking to Randy Lerner is a good sign. Other offers may come up, though. I would think that complete control would be an important thing to Holmgren, as would the fact that Cleveland comes with a die-hard fanbase built-in. On the downside, it's true that Cleveland isn't a beautiful tropic locale, but having coached in Seattle and Green Bay, that may not be terribly important to Holmgren. The job itself -- turning Cleveland into a winner -- sort of seems like a losing battle, too.

We'll see what happens. The one perk Holmgren might not be able to turn down is the twice-yearly chance at revenge for Super Bowl XL. Keep your fingers crossed, Browns fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,208874

meh.

mjd isn't a great writer.

and what's new here?

i think the big questions are: A- would Holms really make a good GM/Czar? (didn't Seattle effectively say "no thanks.. stick to coaching" once already?)

B- is homls using Cleveland as a bargaining chip for the seattle job that he wants (back)?

i'm not sold on hilmgren but he would be a huge step up from savage or kokinas. holmgren has built two superbowl teams and there is no arguing that. sure he was only a coach for the packers but he still knows how to put a team together. he knows what players he wants and how to use them which is more than we can say for mangini so far: at least the knows how to use them part.

Mangini is going to save the Browns..if given the opportunuty to do so

i would love to see it, but what do you base your theory on? one win against the steelers? he has never built a team from the ground up and therefor i don't have much faith in him. he alienates his players/ executives. he deflects blame for virtually everything that goes wrong. his track record of drafting is sub-par in my opinion. i agree however that he should be given time to prove himself. he needs at least another year and after this season, it may be all he deserves.

i would love to see it, but what do you base your theory on? one win against the steelers? he has never built a team from the ground up and therefor i don't have much faith in him. he alienates his players/ executives. he deflects blame for virtually everything that goes wrong. his track record of drafting is sub-par in my opinion. i agree however that he should be given time to prove himself. he needs at least another year and after this season, it may be all he deserves.

He's never been given the opportunity. This is the job he wants. This is the team he wants. Do you see the look in these players eyes the past 3 weeks? Their finally realizing it. They know what Mangini wants, and they know what he expects. He wants certain players to make a certain team - and he's not taking no for an answer. We have done this. With all the Mangini-bashing. We need to let Lerner know that this is Mangini's team, and you can't rebuild a team in a season. This man will change our team, I swear to it. We need to give him this opportunity. He has the makings of a Hall of Fame coach, I see it....I know it. But our record has everyone complaining and crying.

He has the makings of a Hall of Fame coach, I see it....I know it. But our record has everyone complaining and crying.

again: i hope to god that you are right, but where is the evidence? we all thought that romeo would be great because is from the bellichik mold and look what happened there. everyone knew that bringing in guys like womack and st clair was a good move because they added depth and experience. everyone was sure that kokinas was the right man for the gm job. you need more than just a feeling about a guy before you commit to an opinion like that. i'm not trying to insult you, but trying to find out why you have this feeling. i would like nothing more than to be proved wrong here, i just don't think it will happen.

He rebuilt the NY Jets..Brought in FA's Thomas Jones, Alan Faenaca, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, the #1 ranked defense in the NFL this year with the exception of 2 guys all are Mangini guys

His drafting is sub par..Drafted Revis, Mangold, Washington, Furguson, Harris, Keller, Smith

I believe he rebuilt the Jets..If Favre doesn't s**t the bed last 5 games he's still coaching the Jets.

Have you noticed there are no more media "unamed sources" complaining about practices since the Edwards trade and Lewis and Big baby going to IR have stopped..coincidence..I think not.

Give me an example of him deflecting anything.

He gives praise to the whole organization for its success and it failures..Its about us good or bad..thats what a team is all about

He rebuilt the NY Jets..Brought in FA's Thomas Jones, Alan Faenaca, Kris Jenkins, Calvin Pace, the #1 ranked defense in the NFL this year with the exception of 2 guys all are Mangini guys

His drafting is sub par..Drafted Revis, Mangold, Washington, Furguson, Harris, Keller, Smith

I believe he rebuilt the Jets..If Favre doesn't s**t the bed last 5 games he's still coaching the Jets.

Have you noticed there are no more media "unamed sources" complaining about practices since the Edwards trade and Lewis and Big baby going to IR have stopped..coincidence..I think not.

Give me an example of him deflecting anything.

He gives praise to the whole organization for its success and it failures..Its about us good or bad..thats what a team is all about

rebuilt the jets? are you serious? his only playoff year came with herm edwards' team. when he got fanaca he was over the hill, ask any jet fan. there isn't a return on investment. his free agents are pretty solid other than that. however how do you few this off season's free agency going when agents are telling their clients not to sign with the browns because of him?

mangini could have benched favre and made it to the playoffs. a coach needs to know when to take a guy out. it seems this year he tried too early with quinn to compensate for his blunder last year.

he deflected things when he was questioned about the brett favre injury last year. he deflects questions all the time when asked things like who will start and how bad is the injury?

yeah the jet's defense may be number 1, but look at their schedule. the bills twice, the raiders under russel, the titans under collins, the panthers under delhome, and the bucs. not exactly the saints. let's see how they play against the colts before we crown them.

another thing about their defense is rob ryan. he is a defensive coach and he emphasized defense in the off season. bringing in a pro bowl linebacker whose familiar with the system doesn't hurt either.

here is the thing that irritates me the most about the jet's "number1" ranking on defense: they didn't do it until AFTER they dumped some of their players on to the browns. if those players were still there, would they be number 1? probably not.

rebuilt the jets? are you serious? his only playoff year came with herm edwards' team. when he got fanaca he was over the hill, ask any jet fan. there isn't a return on investment. his free agents are pretty solid other than that. however how do you few this off season's free agency going when agents are telling their clients not to sign with the browns because of him?

mangini could have benched favre and made it to the playoffs. a coach needs to know when to take a guy out. it seems this year he tried too early with quinn to compensate for his blunder last year.

he deflected things when he was questioned about the brett favre injury last year. he deflects questions all the time when asked things like who will start and how bad is the injury?

yeah the jet's defense may be number 1, but look at their schedule. the bills twice, the raiders under russel, the titans under collins, the panthers under delhome, and the bucs. not exactly the saints. let's see how they play against the colts before we crown them.

another thing about their defense is rob ryan. he is a defensive coach and he emphasized defense in the off season. bringing in a pro bowl linebacker whose familiar with the system doesn't hurt either.

here is the thing that irritates me the most about the jet's "number1" ranking on defense: they didn't do it until AFTER they dumped some of their players on to the browns. if those players were still there, would they be number 1? probably not.

Free agents..They go where they get the most money..period..and agents get a cut...you sound like a fan..Name me an agent who said this..none of them are that dumb.

He made the play offs with a team that was 4 and 12 the prevous year, granted it had more talent then this Browns team

Bench Brett Favre..You didn't write that did you?

Please don't ever mention Quinn and Favre in the same sentence

Oh I see..My QB has an injuried right arm, please don't hit him there

Deflecting answers on injuries to protect players and not give an edge to your opponent is what any NFL head coach worth his salt should do.

I would think only degenerate gamblers are the most upset about vague injury reports

the guys brought over were back ups and experienced NFL players, who if you haven't noticed are playing pretty damn good for your Browns..To say the Jets D wouldn't be # 1 with these players doesn't make any sense tome

I'm not convinced Holmgren is anything but a tremendous coach. He failed in Seattle when he had control. I think the ship is pointed in the right direction with mangini and want it to stay that course. If Holmgren and mangini can coexist that is fine.

Remember that Holgren is the guy who took in Charlie Frye. Now, I like charlie and know that he gives 100% but ...

Archived