THE BROWNS BOARD

Just Curious - What Do You Want For Quinn?

ramBRO

Hi Guys,

As a Rams fan, I definitely feel your pain over another tough season. My question deals with Brady Quinn and what you think the Browns organization would accept in trade for him. Although I realize that he's no Dan Fouts, I find it hard to believe that he's terrible either. Despite it being difficult to grade Quinn (considering the O-line play, lack of a running game, and no WR's), I think that Mangini wants to dump him. And after the mid-season benching, I don't believe that Quinn can fully trust him either.

Like the Browns, I feel as though the Rams can provide him with a maturing O-line for protection. But unlike the Browns, I believe that our running game has the potential to open things up for him more than what he's seen during his tenure with Cleveland. Although I'll take more, I'm only looking for solid - not great, but solid QB play out of Quinn.

What would be your reaction to the Rams offering up a 4th rounder for Quinn?

Hi Guys,

As a Rams fan, I definitely feel your pain over another tough season. My question deals with Brady Quinn and what you think the Browns organization would accept in trade for him. Although I realize that he's no Dan Fouts, I find it hard to believe that he's terrible either. Despite it being difficult to grade Quinn (considering the O-line play, lack of a running game, and no WR's), I think that Mangini wants to dump him. And after the mid-season benching, I don't believe that Quinn can fully trust him either.

Like the Browns, I feel as though the Rams can provide him with a maturing O-line for protection. But unlike the Browns, I believe that our running game has the potential to open things up for him more than what he's seen during his tenure with Cleveland. Although I'll take more, I'm only looking for solid - not great, but solid QB play out of Quinn.

Done, I'll send the paperwork over right now for your signature and we'll have him on the next plane out. :lol:

I'll give you Quinn, Rogers you give me S. Jackson and a 4th round pick.

Really though, I think Mangini wants to keep him. Even mediocre QBs like Quinn can operate an offense with a running game and Defense. That's where Mangini should be focused on, not a new QB. And I think he will. Nobody wants to start the QB grooming all over again.

Holmgren is a West Coast guy. BQ would likely fit nicely is such a scheme.

You might ask would such a scheme fit nicely into the Cleveland Browns? Have any midwest teams been successful running that offense?

And I will give you the answer: Yes. That team is none other than: The Cleveland Browns.

The West Coast offense is essentially a modification of the offense Paul Brown ran here with Otto Graham at QB. Bill Walsh was an offensive assistant coach with the Bengals under PB. PB had some success with the same offense when he had Greg Cook playing for him early in the Bengals existance. Walsh was somewhat arrogant in claiming that he "invented" the WCO. He did no such thing....unless modifying and tinkering with an offense that your mentor has taught you constitutes "invention".

A 4th for Quinn? Really? That's all?

Well, strictly in terms of Quinn's present day value (as it relates to draft picks) what do you believe he should fetch? I mean, if you subscribe to the "power of positive thinking," the Rams' 4th round pick could be viewed as a late 3rd. :lol: Also, if it meant anything to you, I could envision agreeing to flip-flop #66 and #68. Finally, #68 and our 4th likely gets you into the lower third of the 2nd round if you were so inclined.

If you're interested in a player to go along with the 4th round pick, who would you seriously want on our roster?

Judging Brady Quinn as a QB with what we have as far as receivers, o-line, running backs, etc. is like judging a highly skilled surgeon while asking him to use a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to operate on someone with.

I agree but his accuracy (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with who's on the receiving end. He's consistently behind the receiver on many throws.

I think they're going to hang onto Quinn. In today's NFL, there simply isn't an abundance of great QB play, so I think BQ will be an "above average" QB, but never a star QB.

You've got P Manning, Brees, T Brady, Rivers, Favre, Warner, & probably Big Ben as top tier QBs. There are a few young ones that show promise, but basically even guys we thought were going to be stars (ie: Carson Palmer, Vince Young), haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

If I were you, I would be thinking defense in the draft, that's what I'm hoping for here. If you miss on that high-profile QB draft pick, you're toast as a franchise. The Rams have given up a ton of points...is Bulger's career over?

FYI- St. Louis is a cool place to visit. I went there in 2007 for the Browns/Rams game & had a great time (of course it would have sucked if the Browns lost, lol). I wasn't too crazy about your dome, but it was an easy walk around downtown to find some watering holes.

I think they're going to hang onto Quinn. In today's NFL, there simply isn't an abundance of great QB play, so I think BQ will be an "above average" QB, but never a star QB.

You've got P Manning, Brees, T Brady, Rivers, Favre, Warner, & probably Big Ben as top tier QBs. There are a few young ones that show promise, but basically even guys we thought were going to be stars (ie: Carson Palmer, Vince Young), haven't exactly lit the world on fire.

If I were you, I would be thinking defense in the draft, that's what I'm hoping for here. If you miss on that high-profile QB draft pick, you're toast as a franchise. The Rams have given up a ton of points...is Bulger's career over?

I wouldn't necessarily say that Bulger's career is over, but he has a bad case of Battered Quarterback Syndrome that will likely require a new team and at least one season as a back-up before he's able to contribute in any meaningful way. He's owed a hefty roster bonus heading into next season so he's effectively done in St. Louis. Kyle Boller has been provided with opportunities this season, but he continues to have huge problems with accuracy. I don't believe that he's a starter in this league. I'd like to go defense in Round 1, but without some level of competency at the QB position, it's hard to turn any team around.

I personally like Jimmy Clausen, but the clock is ticking on Steven Jackson's shelf life and I don't care to go through some of the normal growing pains you see out of most rookie QB's. This is where my primary interest in Brady quinn comes from who, though not necessarily great, has seen what NFL defenses have to offer and might be able to manage an offense with a decent rushing attack.

We'll see how things will turn out. I've asked opinions on Quinn's worth, but haven't really received any answers - regardless of whether or not if folks believe he'll be put on the trade blocks. The Rams may need to go after Clausen and luck up in some other areas.

Well, strictly in terms of Quinn's present day value (as it relates to draft picks) what do you believe he should fetch? I mean, if you subscribe to the "power of positive thinking," the Rams' 4th round pick could be viewed as a late 3rd. :lol: Also, if it meant anything to you, I could envision agreeing to flip-flop #66 and #68. Finally, #68 and our 4th likely gets you into the lower third of the 2nd round if you were so inclined.

If you're interested in a player to go along with the 4th round pick, who would you seriously want on our roster?

You're looking at this from an uneducated fans perspective, not from a football perspective. GMs and coaches will look deeper into bqs situation and realize the right side of his oline is weak and he has to rely on a bunch of rookies and backups for weapons on offense. They'll also see he has things to improve on, but all inexperienced qbs do. Even if a team tries to lowball the Browns, they're not going to accept a 4rth for bq when he hasn't even had a fair shot. BQ hasn't even played a full 16 games yet. I think the Browns will give BQ a fair shot and go from there. Also, can you stop talking to us as if we work for the Browns and we have the ability to trade quinn? We're just fans dude.

You're looking at this from an uneducated fans perspective, not from a football perspective. GMs and coaches will look deeper into bqs situation and realize the right side of his oline is weak and he has to rely on a bunch of rookies and backups for weapons on offense. They'll also see he has things to improve on, but all inexperienced qbs do. Even if a team tries to lowball the Browns, they're not going to accept a 4rth for bq when he hasn't even had a fair shot. BQ hasn't even played a full 16 games yet. I think the Browns will give BQ a fair shot and go from there. Also, can you stop talking to us as if we work for the Browns and we have the ability to trade quinn? We're just fans dude.

Whoa!

Let's take a step back and a deep breath. I kinda had the feeling that I wasn't communicating with the Browns front office by the mere fact that someone posted that they'd deal Quinn for...what was it? A bag of balls and some knee pads? Or was it the presence of the emoticons? Never mind.

Look, if there has been some misunderstanding concerning one of my posts, let me be the first to apologize. It was not my intent to come off in the manner with which you perceived.

I believe that you may have responded to my initial post with something to the effect of: What? Trade Brady Quinn for merely a 4th rounder?

To which I thought I replied by asking you to place a value on him based upon what we know today. Now, if you believe that he's worth more than a 4th round pick (which is what I suspect), then that's fine. I just wanted to see how Browns fans valued him - not try to broker some message board internet trade agreement to forward to Billy Devaney (Rams GM).

I fully realize that many Browns fans feel that Quinn may not have had a full hearing in terms of his capabilities. But that hasn't stopped the media (or even this message board) from suggesting he could get dealt or that a new QB could come in to replace him. I'm just getting into a conversation that's been going on for much of the season. I came onto this board thinking that there were some intelligent Browns fans/bloggers who might have an idea of how the organization operates and whether or not they'd consider deals for Quinn. If so, what would they suspect the price would be?

No big deal, though. Good luck fellas.

Dude, here is a better question..... Based on what you've seen, why would you even want him? Unless he dramatically steps up his game, nobody is going to give up a high 4th. That would be a doomsday move for a GM.

Hi Guys,

Dude....The Rams suck. I'm a Browns fan and also a Rams fan. I see way more promise out of the Browns organization. Mainly because of the Rams owner. She needs to sell, and has needed to sell for years, before their is any hope of any kind of turn around. That would be a career ending move for Brady.

Whoa!

Let's take a step back and a deep breath. I kinda had the feeling that I wasn't communicating with the Browns front office by the mere fact that someone posted that they'd deal Quinn for...what was it? A bag of balls and some knee pads? Or was it the presence of the emoticons? Never mind.

Look, if there has been some misunderstanding concerning one of my posts, let me be the first to apologize. It was not my intent to come off in the manner with which you perceived.

I believe that you may have responded to my initial post with something to the effect of: What? Trade Brady Quinn for merely a 4th rounder?

To which I thought I replied by asking you to place a value on him based upon what we know today. Now, if you believe that he's worth more than a 4th round pick (which is what I suspect), then that's fine. I just wanted to see how Browns fans valued him - not try to broker some message board internet trade agreement to forward to Billy Devaney (Rams GM).

I fully realize that many Browns fans feel that Quinn may not have had a full hearing in terms of his capabilities. But that hasn't stopped the media (or even this message board) from suggesting he could get dealt or that a new QB could come in to replace him. I'm just getting into a conversation that's been going on for much of the season. I came onto this board thinking that there were some intelligent Browns fans/bloggers who might have an idea of how the organization operates and whether or not they'd consider deals for Quinn. If so, what would they suspect the price would be?

No big deal, though. Good luck fellas.

If Quinn plays at least half decent the last three games, he's not going anywhere- especially for just a fourth rounder. He's shown improvement and is taking care of the ball.

Add in Anderson is toast- we would trade him to you for a sack of seeds, he's owed a $7 million roster bonus in February, and the Browns aren't paying it. So we unload Quinn, we have zero @ qb, and we're not drafting one high, sorry to tell you. Almost certain the Browns will draft D if they're in the top five, unless Suh and Berry are both gone. We could use Okung, but not in the top 5.

Dude....The Rams suck. I'm a Browns fan and also a Rams fan. I see way more promise out of the Browns organization. Mainly because of the Rams owner. She needs to sell, and has needed to sell for years, before their is any hope of any kind of turn around. That would be a career ending move for Brady.

I'm assuming that by "she", you're referring to Georgie Frontiere. Well, she's dead. She died in '08. Her son, Chip Rosenbloom is the new owner. And he put the team up for sale in May, it's just that nobody wants to pay $930 million for a terrible franchise.

Hi Guys,

I will answer your question in 2 ways:

1. If any GM would trade a high draft choice for Brady Quinn with the idea of Quinn becoming a starter it would not be a wise move.

2. Browns fans have continued to say Quinn has had only 10 starts and needs more time, how many starts do you have to give a guy to show that he is not the quarterback to lead your team. I have seen nothing in Quinn to convince me he will be anything but a backup QB in the NFL

BQ has very poor accuracy, is afraid to throw the ball downfield more than 15 yards and his accuracy past 15 yards is terrible, if we wish to continue to be a losing team then continue to play Quinn and hope he becomes a decent QB, me I have seen enough of BQ to see he is nothing more than a career NFL backup QB. IMO the Browns starting QB for 2010 is not currently on the roster.

^ Very poor accuracy? I've heard several people on here say that nonsense. I think you'll see in the very near future that that's untrue. I'll leave it out of discussion because his completion percentage isn't there right now.

Afraid to throw downfield? What would make you think that but some absurd scouting report from a guy who fell in love with JaMarcus Russell during workouts? He's not afraid to do it. And he does it quite well.

^ Very poor accuracy? I've heard several people on here say that nonsense. I think you'll see in the very near future that that's untrue. I'll leave it out of discussion because his completion percentage isn't there right now.

Man, i hate to rehash the QB crap, especially on accuracy. But if he is an accurate passer, then what do you think he is saving it up for? He hasn't displayed it yet. Even the defenders aren't close enough to intercept him. (BTW, that last part was a joke- sort of). Seriously, why is he holding back all this accuracy talent?

I will answer your question in 2 ways:

1. If any GM would trade a high draft choice for Brady Quinn with the idea of Quinn becoming a starter it would not be a wise move.

2. Browns fans have continued to say Quinn has had only 10 starts and needs more time, how many starts do you have to give a guy to show that he is not the quarterback to lead your team. I have seen nothing in Quinn to convince me he will be anything but a backup QB in the NFL

BQ has very poor accuracy, is afraid to throw the ball downfield more than 15 yards and his accuracy past 15 yards is terrible, if we wish to continue to be a losing team then continue to play Quinn and hope he becomes a decent QB, me I have seen enough of BQ to see he is nothing more than a career NFL backup QB. IMO the Browns starting QB for 2010 is not currently on the roster.

there are alot of good qbs that struggled early in their careers, you can't make a final ruling on bq yet. troy aikman and peyton manning are examples of qbs that struggleded early on, but developed quite well. i'm not saying bq is like or will be like manning or aikman, i'm just saying that there were impatient fans like you saying the same exact things about them.

and are you really saying bq can't throw down the field? stop bringing back those old false stories about bq's arm strength. there wasn't one scouting report on bq coming into the draft that said anything about a weak arm. i still have a few if you want to see them.

he threw down the field quite often in nd and if i remember correctly, he's taken some shots downfield in the orange and brown to. i guess you missed games like the one vs detroit? once a young qb gets more starts, more experience and adjusts to the speed of the nfl, they'll become more comfortable and become more aggressive with their passing.

the verdict is still out on bq, it's way too early to tell if he's the browns qb of the future or not. but i'm sure you're just another bq hater.

Afraid to throw downfield? What would make you think that but some absurd scouting report from a guy who fell in love with JaMarcus Russell during workouts? He's not afraid to do it. And he does it quite well.

Sorry but you have lost you mf'ing mind. Quinn isn't JaMarcus, but he's not much better. I'd trade him for a 4th rounder and a pack of smokes.

Maybe if he stopped working out for a while and lost a little muscle he'd stop overthrowing people by 10 yards every time he attempts to go deep. His accuracy is awful.

There's no sense in my arguing this point right now. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Quinn.

Here are his deep ball stats over the last four: 5-25, 182 yards, 2 TDs

5-25 is very bad. I encourage you, however, to think of those passes in the 20 incompletions that have been dropped.

Archived